Christoph's Dev Blog

Not yet, but it's on my to do list. If it's not obvious I'm getting all the "under the hood" work done before I start level development.

So I am taking suggestions for the engine at the moment as I would like to get all the coding done so I can start working on the map editor.

My current ToDo list:
Add support for slopes. (I'm not entirely sure how this works but probably the way I'll do it is with per-pixel collision detection)
Add more character movements
eg. Wall Jumping/ climbing/ swinging/ (possibly) wall running along certain types of wall
Smooth the animation out a bit. (Basically just adding a bit of a slide when the character stops moving)
Add support for animated tiles.
Add items (collectables/enemies)
Add a state machine
Add a file selector. (State machine should be implemented first)

so it will be more a sonic-like then a mario-like game? awesome. Will it be open-source? An open-source sonic-like game is what the world needs, not another mario-clone ;) I have already rigged blender-models of a sonic-like penguin (Called it Tux the Penguin^^) somewhere on my harddrive. Tell me, if you could use them.

Well I don't think it's technically completely sonic like. I'm just saying it's an original platformer that I'm trying to implement a few different features into. Basically I'm just looking to create a good platforming engine that offers people flexibility to make the kind of levels that they want.

As faster the player sprite moves as bigger levels we need. :D So maybe Sonic is a little bit to fast for the beginning, it needs huge Levels. Mario style is nice but nothing new...
I don't know how much work a gameplay (feeling) like METROID would be? ^_^ At least the level(s) can be relative small because in Metroid you often visit each place more than once. ;) And this "wall climb feature" would come in handy, maybe it's not far away from jumping onto edges and the Player can grab there and so on.

As fusion says, Metroid's style is fantastic, and would suit well to the abilities you're talking about. Gargoyle's Quest (I played it on the Gameboy) was fantastic, allowing short flight up and down. One gaming style not often used is vertical like Kid Icarus. It might be fun to see a new spin on it.

I suspect you already have a concrete idea, though, and don't need us spouting off ideas. Perhaps if your engine is easy enough for me to get my brain around, I'll try my hand on a vertical platformer.

just found this: http://www.box2d.org/

Might be interesting to have "real" physics in a platformer for pandora - something like this little big planet comes into my mind.
Box2d is already optimised for arm and used by projects like crayon physics and numpty physics.

Well I definitely won't be implementing something as complex as proper physics.
I'm having a hard enough time trying to figure out why my parallax scrolling is messing me about.

Update #4 18/10/08

I've now implemented multiple drawing layers, including a parralaxed background. The background scrolls slower than the other layers (any number of layers can be used).
All that I've got at the moment is a bit of a tacky starry background.
At the moment though I'm having a bit of trouble calculating how fast the background should be scrolling because it's not a fixed value, but scrolls depending on the size of the background layer. I have been working on trying to get this working properly for days and it still doesn't. So I'm leaving it in a semi-finished state until I can get it working so I can work on other features.
If someone could give me a pointer with that it would be helpful. Drop me a PM or something.

I started working on graphics and then completely forgot that the pandora is at such a high res on a small screen. So I scrapped them and started again.
So I guess now I should tell everyone about my game.

MONSTER! is a game in which you play a young lost little monster, rampaging around town, eating people and doing it by jumping between/scaling buildings.

The only graphics I have so far after scrapping all the low-res graphics is one frame of the monster so I'll provide a screenshot of that at least.

I think I may have to put this game on hold for the forseeable future. I haven't had time to work on this in weeks.
I have uni work piling up including my third year dissertation. So I may be able to work on it again over christmas but we'll see.

I'm pretty much finished uni for the year now and so I should be getting back to work on this game. I'm going to have to take a while just to remember where I was in the code, also I've had a few more ideas that I'd like to change. Mainly making the character much smaller for a Knytt Stories kind of game,

overviewfpindusiv3.th.png
[/URL]

It looks good onto the GP2X (320x240) but I'm sure this would also fit into the Pandora. But I would recommend something like 400x240 and then hardware double the pixel to fullscreen to keep the retro look but I haven't a Pandora yet for testing.

I hope there will be a good bunch of Homebrew platformers for the Pandora, I would like so see someMetroid-Style Gameplay and Level-Design. (a overview Map, visit each place more than once, go forward and backward through the levels, Item-system and upgrades to reach new places, polished gameplay and polished movement etc..."]
On the pandora, since the screen is 800x480, 16x16 tiles size is a bad choice. In fact i'm actually writing an openGL ES 2D library for the pandora, and tried a lot of things directly on the hardware. With one layer of 16x16 tiles (1500 tiles to draw), i get around 20 fps. With one layer of 32x32 tiles (375 tiles), i get around 70 fps. With one layer of 64x64 tiles, around 80 fps.
I writed an exemple for my library which draw a 32x32 tiles map ( 2 layers ) and around 128 particles (32x32) for the snow, and finally a sprite. With this setup if i remember correctly, i get around 50 fps.
Maybe i may miss something since it don't seems very fast isn't it ? But all textures are rgba.

Else i can say what's almost done in my lib :
- Init the screen and openGL context in one line ( SDL like)
- Draw 2d textures ( scale, rotate, blend ... )
- Draw sprites
- Draw text ( bitmap text and TTF text )
- Compatible tiles maps loading/drawing made with mappy, and maybe soon "tile studio" (must finnish to add collision support for it)
- Collision support beetween textures, sprties and tiles maps.
- Draw particles
- Handle touchscreen
- Cross platform, work on the pandora and any linux based desktop (maybe windows if i find someone to port it to windows)
- Maybe more, don't remember.

I can't give a release date but it's already in an usable state.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back