Simple Request

Poem58 said:
I think a talented coder should make a Windows xP (P being Pandora of course) it should just be a program that looks like it's booting windows and even gives the windows desktop...makes the little icons pop up in the task bar and then holds...I wonder how many people would sit there for an hour trying to click the picture trying to get the start menu to show up...or maybe just (after like 2 minutes) it just drops the screen to black and prints "No, You CAN'T run windows XP on Pandora" after it....might be a good April fools joke next year?

genius!

Last edited by a moderator:
'lulzfish' said:
Or a talented GUI designer could make a Linux shell that looks like XP, and actually runs programs.
No talented GUI designer would design an interface that looks like XP.

...maybe XP in Classic mode ;P

'gp2.eXe' said:
So in other words, the search function is not the best option to get your question answered in a satisfactory way... at least not for a newbie.
Which is why you should use "site:gp32x.de <term>" in google.
i just tried "Can it run XP?" you see, ALL words with 3 or 2 letters. so the forum search doesn#t give any result.
google does :) And the first hit is the one i would have been searching fo rif i would have asked that question.

Creature XL said:
'gp2.eXe' said:
So in other words, the search function is not the best option to get your question answered in a satisfactory way... at least not for a newbie.
Which is why you should use "site:gp32x.de <term>" in google.

Yeah, that option just leaps to the average persons mind....lol Great way to do it but, I would think it safe to say 99.975% of internet users don't even know you can search Google that way...keep in mind everyone...that there are certain levels of internet users...and there are going to be people who find the Pandora who even buy it and will never actually use it cause "it's too hard"....people with geek desires range from inexperienced to code masters...Some will make the Pandora make magic and some will set it on the shelf and call it a magic box that "don't doooo nuthin' " whatever the case...if all the information is presented properly and even with amazing detail...there will still be some that ask the question they just read the answer to...that will never end...but I agree with a bit of what everyone here has said about this...
Get the Wiki/FAQ whatever more detailed..have it put on OP's main page BEFORE forum links...
and if someone brain farts into asking an answered question, if you know and want to, answer...if not don't...just ignore...whatever....But I have to admit...that since joining here to learn and participate I have seen many posts where it just seems like people are wating and their posts sound like they have been practicing for th moment to get the best newb slam in...I know this isn't the case....but a board full of reminders is better than a board full of archived insults...and in the end...if you chase them off then they won't learn anything (Beat a man with a fish and he dies, teach the man how to fish and he'll either fish and live or just keep asking where the fish are and die from stupidity) LOL

Poem58: Please punctuate your posts correctly. It's very hard to read them because they're like single sentences. Please use periods and commas ("." and "," respectively) to split your text in bite-size sentences. Ellipses ("...", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...) should be used only when appropriate. I'm asking you very nicely. Thank you.

Xian Long said:
PS good luck trying poisonedv to stop being a jerk
ok, enough is enough. i read this statement a hundred times over from many different people. twice already today after reading no more than 1.5 threads. i have to say once that poisonedv's comments are usually spot on and very clear - in contrast to a lot of other posts here. is bashing him an in-joke or something like that? i absolutely don't get it.

hch said:
Xian Long said:
ok, enough is enough. i read this statement a hundred times over from many different people. twice already today after reading no more than 1.5 threads. i have to say once that poisonedv's comments are usually spot on and very clear - in contrast to a lot of other posts here. is bashing him an in-joke or something like that? i absolutely don't get it.

People just don't like him.

I used to understand it, but now, I really don't..

hch said:
Xian Long said:

You obviously haven't seen some of PoisonedV's "worse" comments. However, I think that as you say, PoisonedV manages to bring up points that others wouldn't have thought of or wouldn't have dared uttering. A very interesting person :p

EDIT: I have never felt any disrespect toward him (her? for all I know it could be possible) and think that he/she shouldn't be treated the way he/she is.

'hch' said:
'Xian Long' said:

If you were around when he first showed up, he was pretty undiplomatic in his postings. Some considered it a bit caustic. He's chilled out more recently.

Chip said:
grummelzwerg said:
They've created a "little questions only" topic to stop the newbie- questions which have been asked all the time.
We have one of those too: www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=44133 It is linked in the Information Index that nobody reads.

maybe you could try stickying this thread and see if it helps?

oh, and i check the info index at least weekly (i don't mind the broken links really, easy enough to cut out the correct link). thanks for having compiled it! (i felt someone should tell you that it is usefull).

cbox said:
hch said:
Xian Long said:
If you were around when he first showed up, he was pretty undiplomatic in his postings. Some considered it a bit caustic. He's chilled out more recently.

That's because his warning level seems to be very high. But the fact that he is respecting it shows that he is very reasonable indeed. And yes, he may be harsh sometimes but constructive in many others...

'Chip' said:
'Alpha2' said:
Currently the information index is broken due to the forum problems we're having.
I've added a note to the Info Index to that effect with a link to the functioning wiki version. Hopefully this will no longer contribute to the issue, though I suspect it was not a major factor to begin with.
Things like this (and the always-present and extremely annoying link issue) are why we should use the other, pandora-only forums. There is actual direct control over that site (news flash, huh?)!

'Dr.PHP' said:
'Chip' said:
'Alpha2' said:
Currently the information index is broken due to the forum problems we're having.
I've added a note to the Info Index to that effect with a link to the functioning wiki version. Hopefully this will no longer contribute to the issue, though I suspect it was not a major factor to begin with.
Things like this (and the always-present and extremely annoying link issue) are why we should use the other, pandora-only forums. There is actual direct control over that site (news flash, huh?)!

Oh god, PLEASE don't start this. I had an argument with Chip about the constructiveness of this thread after he closed it, and he reopened it in the hope that you guys would go off topic and he could say "I told you so". Let's please try to stay on topic and prove that we actually can have constructive and meaningful discussions that don't drift off into pointlessness and the increasingly-present locking of the thread.

Vorporeal said:
'Dr.PHP' said:
'Chip' said:
'Alpha2' said:
Oh god, PLEASE don't start this. I had an argument with Chip about the constructiveness of this thread after he closed it, and he reopened it in the hope that you guys would go off topic and he could say "I told you so". Let's please try to stay on topic and prove that we actually can have constructive and meaningful discussions that don't drift off into pointlessness and the increasingly-present locking of the thread.

Agreed. Don't try to use this topic as a springboard to try to bitch about the things you want to bitch about. Try to be constructive to the topic.

On topic: I don't know if the Wiki has one or not, but if it had something like Chip's old Dev update thread that was showed the date, what update happened, and the link to the post, I think that would work out well. I read the forums all the time, so I always got wind of most of the dev comments, but that topic still helped me to find the few comments that I missed because they were in threads that I didn't express interest in. (suchas the umpteenth Keyboard layout thread)

-God Ginrai

'Poem58' said:
'B-ZaR' said:
Poem58: Please punctuate your posts correctly. It's very hard to read them because they're like single sentences. Please use periods and commas ("." and "," respectively) to split your text in bite-size sentences. Ellipses ("...", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...) should be used only when appropriate. I'm asking you very nicely. Thank you.

Geez. Really? Just like people having signatures etc. This is just something I formed a habit of doing a long time ago while posting online. It was just faster for me to type like this and set my posts apart from others and because I was tired of people trying to say I had one meaning versus another based on punctuation usage. You know my keyboard has seen better days and since I type hunt and peck with carpal tunnel in both hands I make lots of typing errors too...You are the first person in 4 years to have a problem with it. I don't always do it. Or at least that bad..Maybe it was just cause I have had a bad week that I did it so bad. (Grandfather,massive stroke,watched as he drew his last breath and buried him yesterday) So sorry if I wasn't thinking. I tend to spaz out when I am on the brink emotionally. You are welcomed not to read my post if I do that. Sorry I offended you, and this is the sort of thing I was talking about that is really unnecessary and makes people not want to post.
Worst 5 days of the worst year of my life and I get a punctuation lecture.
You did say you asked me very nicely...more like tried to humiliate me very nicely...also sounds kinda like an "or else" demand...
So I will work on trying harder not to do that and in the future my request to you is that you private message things like this instead of the public wiki link reprimand.
Better yet..I'll just go back to lurking.

As they say, it's all good.

what the fuck? hes just asking you to type legibly. then you try to guilt trip him with a story about your grampa dying and shit- and you say that people asking other people not to go "..." at the end of every sentence is the problem, no, what the fuck is YOUR deal, and then explain it away as having a bad keyboard, having distinct posts, having carpal tunnel (which really doesn't make sense at all) and a relative dying. you blew shit way out of proportion, take it like you should (ie not fuss about it and play it up like hes making a personal attack on you and everything youve ever done and tell him your life story and about how hard your life is) and get over it.

Back