Simple Request

I searched for "TVout" and it showed some results in wich said S-Video. And I think you can use words of less than 3 characters if you use the quotes. But I'm not sure.

Edit: Wait, I also searched a while ago for "Windows XP" and it showed results, silly me. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I did TV Out Cable and it showed me a post with TV out cable and had every TV, Out and Cable highlighted....I never knew search rules...a noob wouldn't...(I never search cause I like to read lots of threads and get to know about something before I ask questions...but not everyone has that kind of obsession or boredom :)

So in other words, the search function is not the best option to get your question answered in a satisfactory way... at least not for a newbie.

'jb0yx' said:
'Vorporeal' said:
So yeah, before you get on our case about being "elitist assholes", you should try looking at the situation from our standpoint.
I do hear what you're saying in your post, I agree with some of it. But, you basically said what I was trying to get at in the very end of your post. Instead of seeing the bad in the newbie, look at it from their point of view. Maybe I'm biased cause I work at a help desk and I get alot of clueless people calling. For which I find an answer for them. But if I didn't care about a question they had or I had or thought it to be stupid, I would basically just ignore it, or say I didn't know. Not answering them would get them impatient and they would eventually dig deeper and find their answer if it was in fact, that easy to find. Replying and scaring the newbie away hopefully isn't what you want, but I can guarantee what's happening. You guys have been here, you're not going anywhere, the newbie just got here, more of a chance he won't be coming back. Look at it from their point of view. Empowering is much better than humiliating

We don't reply in the nasty way that we sometimes do because we feel like a question is stupid. We reply that way when people haven't done any research and are just coming to us because they have a question and they know that we can answer it for them. They're often terribly spoiled, and have grown up with people who answer their questions and attend to their needs and don't realize that it doesn't work that way in the real world. Trust me - I had the same problem the first time I posted on a forum. Unlike many of our newbies though, I quickly learned my lesson. Even some _slightly_ more complicated things like asking if a certain game can be ported are often met with hostility because there is a thread at the top of the forum saying "PORTS REQUIRE SOURCE CODE". Maybe it should also explain that they have to also use OpenGL and not DirectX and maybe a few other things, but some of the questions that are asked in this vein are still ludicrous. The answers might not be painfully easy to find, but there are definitely tools they can use to look for answers. There's the whole Information Index, the search feature, etc. If they spend 5 minutes searching, they'll either find the answer, find part of the answer, or just be able to post a thread and say "I searched the forums for blah blah blah, there were no helpful results, could someone tell me the answer to this question?". As you said, we've been here for a long time, and we know a lot about the Pandora. We're not going to just answer worthless questions though. Imagine if you went up to a college professor and asked them to answer a basic question about the course material? They'd laugh at you, and tell you to go do the textbook reading. Then, if you still didn't understand, you'd go back to the professor or go talk to a TA or another student. We're doing the same thing. We want at least some semblance of effort to find the answers on their own before spending our time (small or not) helping them out. Otherwise, we just promote bad habits. They'll stick around (thanks to our answering their question), and will not have learned their lesson - they'll likely continue to post thoughtless questions so that they can get a quick answer without putting in any time trying to find the answer. This forum is to other forums (like PSP modding/hacking forums) like college is to high school. You don't get pampered anymore - this is the real world. Grow up and take some initiative.

(The last part wasn't directed at you - it was directed at the newbs who we're discussing.)

jb0yx said:
ugh... you guys are just being silly now, hopefully i got my idea across

That means... >> :ph34r: << ... yeah it's tingling.

Xian Long said:
if you've noticed, nearly all threads degrade to this level of sillyness.

PS what about xbox 360?

Eh... what's that? can it run on Pandora? Maybe i'll search...

Edit: Now now, i'll get serious. :p

What'd you expect? Everyone on the boards would read this, become enlightened, and acquire a newfound patience for jerks who think we're here to wait on them? Um....no. Sorry.

PS yeah i tink 360 shud wrk i meen the openpandora haz moar mhz rght

i just went and looked around some psp mod forums. obviously, it's filled with a bunch of people asking for fullspeed n64, windows, and help in ff7. and of course, people asking where to find roms, bios, isos and the like. it makes this forum seem tame.

The broken forum here really doesn't help people trying to information either (this makes posts like the information index pretty much useless for first timers).

Also the split of information between the official site, the wiki, and various blogs and forums (the main page of the official site still links to forum.openpandora.org for example) doesn't really help. There is not once source of authoritative information on the Pandora and it's progress towards production.

As has been pointed out elsewhere the official site is poor and out of date, IMHO this leads to a lot of the questions being asked here over and over. If there was an (easy to find) official FAQ on the official site a lot of questions could be answered there.

All of that said, given that the OP team aren't full time and they must be spending every spare moment getting the Pandora ready then I guess they have to weigh up getting the Pandora out of the door or spending time updating their site.. In which case leaving the site the way it is has to be the right choice. Though let's hope that it gets a re-design before the next batch is ready so as to help promote and sell the Pandora :).

What might be a good idea is to have a big community effort to make a well formatted, all-encapsulating wiki entry that covers all of the major questions that any newcomer to the Pandora project might want to ask. It would cover requirements for porting software, what things we know for a fact will and will not run on Pandora (the major ones that get lots of questions), links to a lot of the big information deposits (emulator list, unofficial blog, etc.), and the like. We'd be able to link newcomers there instead of flaming them for their questions. If we actually developed a sufficiently good wiki page of this type, we might be able to enforce rules that would "require" veteran forum-goers to just link stupid questions to the wiki page, and would have a warning/punishment system in place for people who continued the existing "policy" of bringing out the flamethrower.

Also, the "new" forum should just be nuked, or atleast locked off entirely if the contents are to be archived.

New users still post there quite often and there's a bunch of advertisements/spam topics, it's quite dead and makes the project's organization look a bit sloppy.

'Elanzer' said:
Also, the "new" forum should just be nuked, or atleast locked off entirely if the contents are to be archived.

New users still post there quite often and there's a bunch of advertisements/spam topics, it's quite dead and makes the project's organization look a bit sloppy.
The reason new users will be posting there is that it's linked from the front page of the main site saying "Catch us on the new (temporary while the old ones are fixed) forums." and as there's no dates on the entries it looks current. :(

Yes, the forums have their problems. But still - there are things we can do to help alleviate the problem.

Would anyone else be up for trying to create an "ultimate wiki page"? I think it would really help, and if we had a group of 5 or so people create and maintain it, we could have a good solution to the instinctively flaming newb questions problem.

Vorporeal said:
What might be a good idea is to have a big community effort to make a well formatted, all-encapsulating wiki entry that covers all of the major questions that any newcomer to the Pandora project might want to ask.

+1

My thoughts exactly. First we need a list of those questions, then we can answer them once and for all.

Back