Shutdown without power off

pmprog

DNF (Did Not Finish)
I can boot my pandy on mains without a battery. Is it possible to shut the pandora down to a point where i can safely disconnect the power without having to reinsert the battery whilst it's on?

Something like the old Win95 "It's now safe to turn off your computer"

Cheers

Well as you know, the hardware will always power back up as long as the mains are plugged in.. The only thing I can think of is to induce a halt without the poweroff..

sudo halt -f 
On my rebirth pandora it seems to halt properly, but doesn't reboot the system.. which could give you time enough to unplug the mains and put in the battery.  I just wouldn't recommend this if the battery was still in the pandora and charging as it most likely isn't charging the battery correctly when halted like that... 

Last edited by a moderator:
It should be perfectly safe to disconnect the power if halting takes it to a shutdown state without power off or reboot. I wouldn't stick the battery in without taking first unplugging the power though, as I think the problem is the charging circuit failing to identify the capacity of the battery and pumping too much power into it. But if you unplug it so the unit's dead, you can insert the battery and then plug it back in (or not).

FWIW, just doing a normal reboot and unplugging it during the early boot process should be fine too (hold R to enter the uBoot menu, should be fine to unplug there). But if halting puts it in a stopped state, that might be a slightly quicker way of getting it to a safe unpluggable state.

Code:
sudo halt -f 
On my rebirth pandora it seems to halt properly, but doesn't reboot the system.. which could give you time enough to unplug the mains and put in the battery.  I just wouldn't recommend this if the battery was still in the pandora and charging as it most likely isn't charging the battery correctly when halted like that...
Sounds just like what I'm after, thanks

Back