Should We Move? - Forum Transfer Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orkie said:
Honestly, from what they've said it sounds like they tried to buy the site and are now sulking because Hando has no interest in giving it up (and why should he?). But hey, I am pleased people are moving over: the sooner we get rid of Chip and the other idiots the better.

+1, very well said.

Last edited by a moderator:
They have tried offering more reliable hosting for gp32x. Hando would have still 'owned' the site, it is only on a different server to the current one which is owned by someone else as far as I know, so there would be no change on that basis.

I like GP32x, dont get me wrong, but I cant see the site surviving once the new consoles are out. What is being done is the right thing, GP32x can still exist either as a smaller community as some people want it or as an archive. Personally I would prefer to see it as an archive and have all the community working together on the new forums, ultimately it is up to each person what they decide to do; move forum, stay here or visit both.

Orkie said:
Honestly, from what they've said it sounds like they tried to buy the site and are now sulking because Hando has no interest in giving it up (and why should he?). But hey, I am pleased people are moving over: the sooner we get rid of Chip and the other idiots the better.
Your bitterness says more about you than you'll ever know. I guess the identity of at least one of the people who turned their back on the project is now known. I'll miss you too, honest.

What?
Orkie's opposition to the Pandora has been known from the beginning, stop dramatising it.

it is evident that there are a lot of very vocal opinion going on here. it seems we have a mix of people who see it as a good solution, people with a few personal vendettas and some very anti pandora people.

it probably should have happened before but i think this decision needs a poll. try and gauge the communities decision. should we move to open handhelds, to openxile, should the community split the pandora from the GP consoles, who should have control, etc, etc.

it is understandable that the pandora guys are so eager to back up their forums as the product will make or break depending on the community surrounding it. it makes sense for them to want to take something in their own hands but the decision must come down to the entire community if they intend to stay a part of it.

people should think about what is better for the community as a whole rather than better for them as an individual.

No.
The whole point of openXile is that it's Pandora free.
The proposed setup it actually good for both 'sides'...

'Gruso' said:
Your bitterness says more about you than you'll ever know. I guess the identity of at least one of the people who turned their back on the project is now known. I'll miss you too, honest.
Ah well, one day maybe the full story will come out but for the moment as long as the Pandora people don't harass me, I won't go out of my way to create trouble for them. Quite why you are attacking me, I do not know, I've always quite liked you :p.

RenegadeChic - I mostly agree. A poll would be the right idea normally but in this case it will not solve anything. This site will still be broke and put under a lot of pressure when the new consoles are out. This will affect everyone, you will not be able to visit this site because it will be offline.

Orkie - Can I ask why you are against the Pandora? Apologies if you have said it already elsewhere, I do not follow these forums much now, but maybe it will help me understand things better if you explained why. - Edit was typing this before Orkie replied. PM me if you want to explain, otherwise no worry.

Everyone else :) - Put aside all this console war bollocks and look at the bigger picture. Something needs to be done otherwise these forums will have problems soon. If you are against moving forums, please explain sensibly and maybe come up with another possible solution.

I think in the Open Handheld forums the consoles should be in alphabetical/numerical order.

All I have to say on this subject, having developed for the GP32, never quite getting any dev going on the GP2x, but really looking forward to the Pandora...

...is...

MY SPECTRUM IS BETTER THAN YOUR C64!

Iorgy77 said:
Wow, all this trouble so craig can sell some chinese pmps.
:lol:

It was always going to happen I guess, but I'm not keen on moving over to a forum run by people with such a vested interest in the Pandora. It's not about the community any more, this is Big Business.

Well, i've signed up at the new forum, but I dislike phpBB with a passion, so I'll probably hang here until it dies. Guess it's nice to know there will be somewhere else to go to follow both the gp2x scene and the up-coming pandora, if indeed this site does die. I mean, is the web server really a Windows 98 box? :p

Might actually be good for the gp2x forums if all the new users who are just finding out about the pandora can be told to go ask silly questions like "Will it run Windows 7?" on the new forum! :p

So much hate in these forums recently! Can we all not just have a big hug?

'fishybawb' said:
It was always going to happen I guess, but I'm not keen on moving over to a forum run by people with such a vested interest in the Pandora. It's not about the community any more, this is Big Business.
They also have a vested interest in the Wiz and the older GPH consoles. Did you miss that or are you being deliberately inaccurate?

In any case, I fail to see how being stuck on a bugged board with a lazy/incompetent/disinterested administrator is "about the community".

If you want to mantain the spirit of GP32X in the new forums, I suggest:

- To use a similar color combination to the one that the GP32X forum uses.
- To completely remove the Pandora logo from the page.
- To steal the GP32x domain name and point it to the new forum. :ph34r:

Well, perhaps not the last one, but the other two seem very logical to me.

'pelrun' said:
In any case, I fail to see how being stuck on a bugged board with a lazy/incompetent/disinterested administrator is "about the community".
Because it is run by the community and not a company that is already over a full year late on its own promises. What input did the community have on moving to this new forum? None, absolutely none. Instead a moderator here who is the also the official OpenPandora PR guy decided for us by abusing his mod powers here and creating a sticky to let everyone know this forum is dead and we are moving to OpenPandoras forum.

Screw this I'm going to learn Spanish and move to gp32spain... :rolleyes:

Wait, so openXile was made for the sole purpose of getting away from Pandora people? So much for the community :(
Orkie, why are you so angry at Chip?
edit:
Vimacs said:
A new forum isnt a bad idea, but NOT like THIS.

this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back