Should We Move? - Forum Transfer Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that there is no denying that it will be biased, I don't think that it will be to the degree some people think- they may have made pandora, but they have and will continue to sell GP and GPH products, (and the dingoo and a few other things)

Tom` said:
Nova said:
It kinda seems weird to me that the main, supposedly un-biased forums would be run by the two major sellers of the Pandora and their PR guy.

But that's just me.

You didn't notice that they also sold and supported the GP32 and GP2X, the Wiz, and the various other consoles to which this site is dedicated?

Not to mention that ED also hosts the GP2X File Archives, which, in addition to his store, have a much better track record in terms of reliability than GP32X?

Why should there be any bias? They sell the Wiz, they sold the GP2X and GP32, they sell the Pandora. How do you think this supposed bias will manifest itself?

Craig has often bashed GPH and their consoles openly.

I'm not saying that there will be any bias at all. But it's a possibility that it'll be there to some degree.

Last edited by a moderator:
SHIT.

Well, I hope that Pandora can move on and these boards stay. (FAT CHANCE)

If it all goes down, then so be it. This hasn't really been a place for me for a couple years. I couldn't keep any GP2X's running for very long and nobody seemed interested in improving the hardware for production.

I have been waiting for the Wiz/Pandy for way too long, so I'll just drop it.

I don't know what is left to argue over, the community centered around the product of people who didn't really care about the community. That is just a bad relationship to be in.

The community here hasn't really been the same since the announcement of new handhelds.

I will choose a forum when and if I feel the need to have or discuss any real products. (I fully believe that Pandora will be a real product. It is not currently.)

I probably won't choose Nubie again. I chose that name because this was my first forum, when I pre-ordered my GP2X. I since have joined some other forums, and have a few thousand posts here, so I don't really think it appropriate.

I am sad to see the forum in this state of disrepair. I am also sad to see so much contention in the leadership.

I wonder if it is possible to fix the forums without the OP team involved. And I would also like to think that there is another side of the story. I don't know what upset Hando, but I would almost garuantee that it isn't a one-person problem (aside from this being his site and as such can operate, or not, in any way he sees fit.)

I would rather the forum not belong to a party with vested interests, as opposed to a purely enthusiast run site.

To be perfectly honest I wish these forums would just get fixed (the advanced editor is really great :) ).

Still waiting on something I guess, maybe it is time to cut the cord on the internet on my end, or go somewhere else, like to school for an engineering degree.

Another thing that pisses me off about this forum is that practically anything will turn into a flamewar. For example, take the 2-page long shitstorm that just happened before. I hope that it'll be better over in the other forums(though I doubt it), or perhaps the situation will improve when everybody finally gets their Pandoras.

'Nova' said:
Craig has often bashed GPH and their consoles openly.
Even when they were all I sold, and I've bashed many other machines too. It was people doing the Wiz bashing that got that damned dual Dpad changed. GP2X bashing that got us the F200. GP32 bashing for the Blu and Pandora pre-bashing which got the bluetooth, sliding battery bay, analogue nubs (curse them!), USB host etc.

Anyway I'm not a mod on the new forum and I'm not actively involved in the running of it (I'm far too busy right now), I have just suggested over the last month we need to highly consider the repercussions of this site going down or coming under attack again. If that happened there is no way to tell people where we have moved to. We need to do it now like a preemptive strike on Iraq! ... no, wait ... more like a planned evacuation... of.. France.

Seriously though, the idea of an open hand held forum is the obvious evolution of this one, I agree it should be only FULLY open ones and the others in a 'semi-open handhelds' section.

I'm all for giving it a go and am already visiting both forums.

'atomicthumbs' said:
I will not use the other forum until I can set it to view more than ten posts on a page.
What! Yes, that too!

'atomicthumbs' said:
I will not use the other forum until I can set it to view more than ten posts on a page.
fucking agree.

I'm gonna try archiving the forums too. In a database. The idea behind that is not to be able to import the posts (as things like user passwords are lacking), just to make a searchable portable archive.

I'll tell you guys how that goes.

The new forum is now accessible from either forum.openhandhelds.org or forum.openpandora.org. I'm going to pester ED to put up some sort of landing page or automatic redirect at the top page for openhandhelds.org until the proper front page is finished, just so people don't get a 403 error.

By popular request I've removed the majority of "other" forums and consolodated it down to one for handhelds (iphone, android, psp, etc), one for UMPCs, MIDs and netbooks, and one "all other consoles". There are definately enough posts for these groups to justify all three. If there is an abundance of discussion for a particular platform, a new forum can always be added later.

I've upped the per-page-post-count to 20 (the default here). There is a mod that allows users to set this thmselves, which I will suggest to ED.

BTW Chip, when I set my login to "Log me on automatically each visit", it doesn't log me back in after returning.

Structure wise, the forum index page is great now. :) The ability to have project forums is a massive plus too.

[edit] Also, I'm putting an interstitial page on the community blog, so anyone who clicks the "Pandora Forums" link gets an explanation and a link to both forums. I won't make it live until ED has the last few things ironed out on the OH domain.

arrrgh said:
BTW Chip, when I set my login to "Log me on automatically each visit", it doesn't log me back in after returning.
It's something that needs to be changed for the new domain name. Auto login still works for forum.openpandora.org. It should be fixed soon.

'Vimacs' said:
you dont stand a chance trying to replace gp32x, old habbits hardly change.
YXeah, it's better you stay here. gp32x.de for personaly is dead for a long time now. But this crap with the broken links was just first class bullcrap. I still visit this place some time per week. It's over and better to make the transition now before all wiz and pandora or what else hell breaks loose. I am sure ED and others will take care, Hand just fucked us. Time to leave, count me in.

'Alex.' said:
Besides the usual nostalgia (that unfortunately started to die in recent times), the only drawback I see to the new forums is the overwhelming number of platforms the forum will cover. GP32, GP2X, Wiz, and Pandora were a given, and perhaps A320 too, but now you also have IPhone, Android, PSP, DS, GBA, Nokia, and UMPC sections!...

The forums will lose their focus, this will no longer be a tight community which was what made it such a nice place. There are plenty of already established DS, PSP, and I bet even IPhone forums, why make another one? I thought this was a community for fully open handhelds, why should this change?

I`m sympathetic to the idea of starting a new clean forum with a clearer future, but the things I mentioned above could change it for the worse.
I agree, keep it open for the open platforms. iPhone, DS, GBA ain't right, we don't need them and they don't need us.

'Chip' said:
'borgqueenx' said:
I hope the forum topics and posts can be moved as well. then it would be ok to move. else i DONT want to move.
They can't be. If we had access to the GP32X forum database then it could be done, but we do not. The best we can hope for is an archive of the information here.

We need a hacker. a good one. If the admin doesnt do a shit about this site anymore, then he wotn care about a hacker stealing his forum database.

If we cant find one, then.....its a shame this forum will die and will be used as an archive...until the real administrator wont pay anymore for the site on the end of the year...and the domain and forum will be deleted, with everything with it.

I think something wrong has happened with the admin, why the heck would be want to abandon such a good site with loads of traffic?

Im all for the forums being moved for a number of reasons. First is the first sign of an increase in traffic the site is offline for days, moving to a new server will fix this. Secondly, the forum is terribly broken now, only hando can fix it and he doesnt seem to be interested. This could probably be fixed simply by updating to the latest full version of Invision, takes an hour at most.

Planning ahead with the forum move is good. These problems will be much worse when the Pandora and Wiz are out, along with increased traffic with the Dingoo etc. Sites being offline looks unprofessional and broken sites is just plain annoying. We saw the site offline for several days just when the Pandora was available to purchase, nobody apart from Hando can fix this. As a site owner myself I would be very annoyed if my site was down and I didn't have access to fix it.

I know its a shitty thing to do, its pretty much a revolt against the president. But this time I am on the rebels side.

I agree completely. When the first Pandoras are shipped, traffic in this forum is going to rise fast, and newcomers to the Pandora aren't going to get a good first impression from a forum like this.

Well whose fault is that for trying to freeload off somebody else's site to run a business?

Honestly, from what they've said it sounds like they tried to buy the site and are now sulking because Hando has no interest in giving it up (and why should he?). But hey, I am pleased people are moving over: the sooner we get rid of Chip and the other idiots the better.

Project Forums: Projects should be under their own threads rather than a board for each. Most of them are being developed specifically for Pandora, again raises the bias issue, plus that list could get pretty long in time, keep it tidy, just sayin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back