Should I Flash Open2X Onto My F200?

All done. Was very simple. As you said, just follow the instructions.

Going to try connecting it to the TV later. I've also ordered a PS2->USB adaptor, so hopefully that will work with the GP2x and Mame.

CaptainReboot said:
All done. Was very simple. As you said, just follow the instructions.

Going to try connecting it to the TV later. I've also ordered a PS2->USB adaptor, so hopefully that will work with the GP2x and Mame.

as for me, TV works fine.

Open2X won't recognice PS3 joysticks but will recognice any standar usb joystick (XXX->usb adaptors included) forther more u can use it to control the gp2x itself via joy2X as if you were pushing the gp2x's buttons so any program would work even if it doesn't have support for external devices.
So: Open2X + TV + Wireless joystick controling the gp2x = WIN! ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Also it should be noted that there is no risk of bricking your GP2X by trying out Open2X. This is because Open2X does not touch the boot loader part of the firmware. You can always go back to a previous firmware. Glad everyone likes Open2X :) One thing that should be noted is that Open2X doesn't yet support the built-in card reader functionality of the GP2X so you will need to use an external card reader. I didn't have time to add this feature in and have been too busy with other projects. Maybe later this year some time.

When I done mine it was worth it all!
The only issue I had was that touch screen support stopped working.
After talking to the senior of the quack I reflashed and it's been PERFECT!

(Red Baron now has my GP2X)

What are the advantages of using Open2X over the original firmware when it comes to game emulation?

Red Baron said:
What are the advantages of using Open2X over the original firmware when it comes to game emulation?

The main advantage Open2X offers is if you use TV-out: I wrote a Tv-out tweaker program that adds TV compatibility to some emulators that didn't have it before, and also perfects TV output on emulators that had less-than-perfect support. It also allows you to fully customize the TV settings (offset and scaling) for each program. Open2X also offers full USB gamepad support that works with every single GP2X app ever made and there is no detectable lag whatsoever. I added this support too :) You can customize it for use with any standard USB gamepad and so your USB gamepad then can control the GP2X like you are actually pushing GP2X buttons. This means that all emulators that didn't have USB gamepad support now do, at least for the first USB gamepad connected. When I added this into Open2X I also added an option to selectively hide or expose the first USB controller to emulators. This option allows full compatibility with all emulators. Some emulators need it turned on or off, depending on how they handle multiple USB joysticks. Once you get it set correctly, everything is seamless but some experimentation is required during initial setup.

I also added a new feature to Open2X called soft-reset: press A+B+X+Y+VOLUP+VOLDOWN+L+R simultaneously and then release and the kernel will kill off all non-essential programs and restart the menu within seconds. This also works when using a USB gamepad! It should be noted that when the GP2X is hard-crashed, this will not work.

Another feature you might find useful that I added is if you have multiple SD cards: You don't have to power the GP2X off to insert a new SD. Just hit X and it will unmount the current SD card. Insert a new one and Open2X's custom Gmenu2X detects it, scans for links, and displays them within seconds.

Senor Quack said:
Open2X also offers full USB gamepad support that works with every single GP2X app ever made and there is no detectable lag whatsoever. I added this support too :) You can customize it for use with any standard USB gamepad and so your USB gamepad then can control the GP2X like you are actually pushing GP2X buttons.
This is one of my favourite things about Open2x. Just to expand on SQ's description for those who haven't tried it, it doesn't just work in games & apps, it gives you universal control over the GP2X with a USB pad. That means Gmenu2x as well. :) There is nothing as cool as throwing the GP2X into a cradle and controlling it with a USB modded SNES pad. NOTHING!

CaptainReboot said:
Have many people here put Open2X onto their F200's? How was it?

I did a couple of months ago and it was a pretty painless thing. A couple of things don't work and you have to use the compatibility mode which seems to launch the old version. I haven't really noticed any real difference between the old and the new.

Back