Firmware (version 4)

thefunkygibbon

Still Fresh
I've read a couple people on here saying they are running fw4 which is shipping on the f200, on their older gp2x (ie not the f200).

whats the deal with this? is it much different? worth upgrading (in the way that fw3 wasnt worth it!)

Is it actually available to download anywhere?

or should i just wait for open2x?

I don't think fw4 will be worth upgrading to, it's probably just graphic changes and maybe allowing you to select icons via the touch screen.

I'd wait for Open2X.

Squidge said:
I don't think fw4 will be worth upgrading to, it's probably just graphic changes and maybe allowing you to select icons via the touch screen.

I'd wait for Open2X.
if it ever comes ^^ ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there are actually more than me, AFAIK I'm the only one with a working beta on my First Edition ;)

Well, the menu is completely usable without Touchscreen. And it has one major advantage: You can start the MP3 player and actually view pictures, play games and read eBooks WHILE IT IS STILL RUNNING.

It also has some standard directories, i.e. if you select the game browser, it defaults to a directory called game at the SD Card or music where the musicplayer defaults when you start it.

Apart from that, it's pretty much the same.

So, are they planning on releasing firmware upgrades that are specifically for the F200?

I would imagine that developers would allow most touchscreen actions to be performed with the normal hardware buttons. The user might not always want to use the stylus.

craigix said:
^ I bloody well hope they have put in the SDHC stuff, we have had it hacked in for long enough now...
Well maybe someone can tell me what the score is with getting proper SDHC support on my f100?, and I don't mean that dodgy fw2.1.2 patch either, that only served to make my GP2X lock up regularly when playing tunes (particularly when re-enabling the screen & buttons by pressing Select) whilst still not actually working with any of my 8GB SDHC cards.

I'm thinking of ordering an f200 for the SDHC support alone unless someone can help us sort it out on the existing model.

craigix said:
I've not tried it out yet ed, is the music player the same one they used last time? Ie no features?
Haven't done much yet and the FW I have isn't finished yet, but I haven't seen anything new except that.
Oh, and the model is static, as my First Edition says on the Infoscreen it's an F200 :D

Last edited:
Vin said:
craigix said:
^ I bloody well hope they have put in the SDHC stuff, we have had it hacked in for long enough now...
Well maybe someone can tell me what the score is with getting proper SDHC support on my f100?, and I don't mean that dodgy fw2.1.2 patch either, that only served to make my GP2X lock up regularly when playing tunes (particularly when re-enabling the screen & buttons by pressing Select) whilst still not actually working with any of my 8GB SDHC cards.

I'm thinking of ordering an f200 for the SDHC support alone unless someone can help us sort it out on the existing model.

There would be no need to buy an F200, you could just flash the F200 firmware onto your F100.

There would be no need to buy an F200, you could just flash the F200 firmware onto your F100.

True. Which brings us back to the point of firmware 4's availability.

I'm presuming it will come out for download when the F200 comes out, if EvilDragon already has it on his?

Being able to play music and do other stuff sounds good - does it suck up a lot more battery power?

Bit annoying it would say F200 all the time but I suppose its small fry really!

So we can't confirm about the SDHC then?

As I understand it the firmware isnt finished - and thats why its not general release yet...
The fact that it says F200 and doesnt do auto detection would (I imagion) be fixed in the release.

Toady said:
The fact that it says F200 and doesnt do auto detection would (I imagion) be fixed in the release.
Do you have any particular reason to believe this? Or are you just new and haven't realised GPH are a bunch of idiots yet? :D

Is the fact that the firmware says F200 on an info screen nobody ever looks at really that important? Is it worth getting worked up over? :rolleyes:

I'm quite happy with 2.1.1, the only thing I'd do a complete flash for is Open2x, and even then, I'll have to get a power brick... Another powerbrick...

Back