Shipping Date: Guessing Game

mali said:
keaft said:
i'm losing hope
Don't worry, it's in Pandora's box ;)

Actually hopelessness (for the most part) was the one thing that didn’t make it out of Pandora’s Box. :(

Hope is definitely in the Pandora though. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Frogboy said:
Actually hopelessness (for the most part) was the one thing that didn’t make it out of Pandora’s Box. :(

What?

VRAndy said:
Frogboy said:

What?

Sphinxter said:
How could the absence of something be in anything.
It's technically foreboding, or knowing what is to come, that’s trapped in Pandora’s Box. It is said that if man knew the misery that he was going to face that he’d lose all hope and would surely die as mankind can not survive without hope.

That’s where idea of hope being in the box came from but it’s kind of backwards. If hope were in the box then the world wouldn’t end if it were opened up again. It’d actually be better off.

That’s kind of why I put the (for the most part) by it.

Quote from Wikipedia:
[...]releasing all the evils of mankind— although the particular evils are not specified in detail — leaving only Hope inside once she had closed it again[...]
Even if it wasn't like that, who cares. It was just a stupid joke :)

/off topic

Edit:
keaft said:
hellollo people.
hopes back.

:D

I'm going to pretty definitely say that my guess is too late. I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if the first one didn't arrive by Jan. 18th.

Frogboy said:
It's technically foreboding, or knowing what is to come, that’s trapped in Pandora’s Box. It is said that if man knew the misery that he was going to face that he’d lose all hope and would surely die as mankind can not survive without hope.

Where are you getting this? I don't claim to be a scholar of ancient Greek legends, but a quick Google search doesn't seem to confirm what you're saying.

Hesiod said:
But the woman[Pandora] took off the great lid of the jar with her hands [95] and scattered, all these and her thought caused sorrow and mischief to men. Only Hope remained there in an unbreakable home within under the rim of the great jar, and did not fly out at the door; for ere that, the lid of the jar stopped her, by the will of Aegis-holding Zeus who gathers the clouds.
I'm using this translation here : http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?lookup=Hes.+WD+1

Is there a more authoritative source, (Or a more authoritative translation of this one) that we should be turning to for information on the legend of Pandora?

VRAndy said:
Is there a more authoritative source, (Or a more authoritative translation of this one) that we should be turning to for information on the legend of Pandora?
Couldn't tell you really, in fact, I'm not sure if anyone really knows what the original tale was or meant. All of you guys are right. I just read quite a few interpretations of this story on the internet and most of them do state that hope is what was trapped in the box. I've heard the short version of the tale on wiki and such but just kind of assumed that it was oversimplified and actually kind of backwards.

The story I’ve always thought was correct came from the ever famous Heroes, Gods and Monsters of the Greek Myths written by Bernard Evslin and published in 1966. He claims that the myths that he tells came from a Greek book, told to him by his uncle when he was very young. That would make this version of the tale at close to, if not more than, a hundred years old at the very least as long as the author is being truthful about its origins.

Now does that mean that this one is correct and the others are not? Hell if I know. It’s by far the most entertaining version of the story that I’ve read. Most of them are only about a half of a paragraph long and go into little if any detail. This one is at least a couple pages.

The reason why I’ve always thought that this one was more correct was mainly because the story never made sense to me the other way around. If the box contained all of the evils of the world, what the heck was hope doing in there? It doesn’t make a lot of sense to have hope trapped in the box when mankind is full of hope. Take a look at this forum for countless examples of that. I did just read a version that tried to explain these things away but wasn’t told as a narrative. It was only describing one, unfortunately.

It appears that there are an infinite number of variations to the story and I doubt that there is a correct version. I never really realized this before, though. If you wanted to read the one I was going off of, you can probably pick this book up on the cheap. It’s an interesting read although I’ll warn you ahead of time. It was written for people of most ages. It doesn’t change any of the seedier things that are in these tales but it doesn’t focus on them either. It’s toned down a little but was done so in 1966 terms. They could get away with a lot more then than they can now.

Um, sorry for the long post.

DrCJBoduma said:
15th December- JayFoxRox
18th December - AireTamStorm
19th December - atomicthumbs
20th December - Madison Skull + joshwaan2k
23rd December - Patrick R Ludvigsen + devhace
24th December - Balzac2m
25th December - .Gogeta§§J4BR. :)
26th December - VRAndy
27th December - kattle87
28th December - Defo
29th December - javaJake
30th December - greendots + _Sterling + es87

1st January - adamorjames
2nd January - fischju2000
3rd January - jbr + TaG
4th January - PoisonedV + cb88
5th January - mazza558
6th January - MDave + David E
7th January - DrCJBoduma + hells_dark
8th January - absolofdoom
9th January - Consequence9
10th January - magicman5421 + mcqfesijiba2
11th January - aaron11193 + Ryzure
12th January - Kloplop321 + Chero
13th January - fiveseven + cosurgi
14th January - GunPei2X
15th January - mali
16th January - MilanC
17th January - joa
18th January - Vorporeal
19th January - joseluisjazz
20th January - j.pickens
21st January - GaleFenrir
22nd January - Klepto
25th January - PSyMastR
26th January - OrR
27th January - teggun
30th January - RajTakhar

2nd February - giovanni
3rd February - naples39
7th February - mechanizeddeath
10th February - Gren
13th February - Zor Prime
14th February - fahrstuhl
17th February - PlopperZ
20th February - kin
21st February - WolfpacK
23rd February - hch
27th February - White Demon

1st March - Sphinxter
2nd March - Wootson
5th March - Bigun
15th March - rutto
25th March - maxSteiner

1st April - Simon Parzer

9th May - ckblackm

24th August - Zero3K

NEVER - Frogboy

2 down....
I know today isn't over yet, but......pretty sure (sadly) it's safe to cross it out :-(

I have to say that j.pickens picked a pretty good date.

Now all we need is a forum member brave enough to claim he/she already has a finished working Pandora. (someone besides craigix and MWeston or any of the devs that is)

Aww, I just realized that I guessed the date was a Sunday, which is most likely not going to happen because there is no post that day afaik. Too late now to change it, I suppose. :/

PoisonedV said:
Ah, me too. shit.
No problem, If you both tell me which date (sat or mon) you want instead I'll change it.

Chris

PS - I don't want to come across all dictatorial about closing the comp - I just thought it only fair to end it before anymore 'telling' news came out that would put early guessers at a disadvantage.

DrCJBoduma said:
PS - I don't want to come across all dictatorial about closing the comp - I just thought it only fair to end it before anymore 'telling' news came out that would put early guessers at a disadvantage.

np, i just could not keep that one in ;) and it was just my thought on the date, early guessers get all credits IMO as well.

Cheers!

Back