Shenmue 3 Kickstarter has begun

Sadly, I only played the PAL version of Shenmue II :(

boitepal.jpg
How is that sad ?
I purchased Shenmue 1 in Tokyo, Japan Day 1 and then finished it a couple of months later. I didn't know Japanese back then. Twasn't easy, you know.

Shenmue 2, Japanese version was also completed with great difficulty.

@Ryo

I didn't see or hear anything on that vid regarding a new battle system? Anyway, whatever the case may be...I hope QTE doesn't come back. I hate QTE!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm feeling a boot up of shenmue 2 coming on...I'll have to pick it up from my parents place. It lies in a box beneath a bed.

It's only a matter of time before the grasp on my resolve withers... and I take the plunge my wallet will decry. :unsure:

I purchased Shenmue 1 in Tokyo, Japan Day 1 and then finished it a couple of months later. I didn't know Japanese back then. Twasn't easy, you know. Shenmue 2, Japanese version was also completed with great difficulty.
If you dont understand Japanese, not only it is difficult to finish, but you are missing the most important parts of the game :) because they occur through dialog. 

I succumbed to the hype and have pledged.

Now let's hope they do not fuck up..

Ah, if somebody really does not like its non Japanese Shenmue II copy, I will gladly buy it for an honest price!

I broke out my copy of Shenmue and got as far as the docks just after the conversation with Master Chen in Warehouse 8.

I probably won't get any further- the game was a technical marvel for its time, but the concepts haven't aged well. The pacing of Shenmue is abysmal and the dialog... Oh my! I guess the utter hilarity of almost every sentence "ooooh that day" is its only "why not try asking chinese people about chinese" redeeming "bastard!" feature.

It seems that most of the lasting appeal of Shenmue was that under all the gloss it was a ridiculous and silly game. I can't even remember what Shenmue 2 is like - maybe I should try that instead?

( granted people also enjoyed experiencing, in some small way, a slice of Chinese culture and a Karate Kid simulator )

Either way, times have changed considerably and I don't see how any game made today under the Shenmue banner will be a special as those games were back then. All those concepts that it wove together are just common as muck ingredients for the Sandbox game gumbo we have today.

And similarly if you took Shenmue, cleaned it up and fixed the dialog so new gamers could get into the series- you'd just have a crappy slow game with very little actually going on, full of QTEs. *shudder* - might as well just play Fahernheit or Heavy Rain.

Shenmue 3 might be the best game of its time, but my expectations are phenomenally low. It doesn't really matter who makes it- how can a game made today fit with the originals? Guess we'll wait and see!

It seems that most of the lasting appeal of Shenmue was that under all the gloss it was a ridiculous and silly game. I can't even remember what Shenmue 2 is like - maybe I should try that instead?
lol looks like you know what you are talking about.

your criticism about games can apply to any game out there as well. Shenmue is way above the lot in terms of writing and narration. I replayed both episodes less than 2 years ago and it did not age at all and make it even more obvious how current games look like whining babies in comparison. 

Just like KOTOR is still a much better RPG than 99% of recent RPGs with the exception of Witcher 3.

lol looks like you know what you are talking about.
Well given that the drudgery of Shenmue 1 has utterly put me off attempting to play Shenmue 2 again despite owning copies of both, perhaps I don't. But it's pretty clear to me in hindsight that Shenmue is more hype than substance.

Given that you place the first two games in such high regard, and that Shenmue 3 will be a "current game", how exactly do you think it's going to hold a candle to the originals?

Given that you place the first two games in such high regard, and that Shenmue 3 will be a "current game", how exactly do you think it's going to hold a candle to the originals?
I don't know what to expect about the third one actually. It depends if they are trying to make a game like the current ones or if they try to make it more like the older games. On top of that while they are reusing the same team members, everyone has aged and is probably not as hard working or motivated as before anyway, I can't think it can be anywhere remotely as good as Shenmue was in the first place.

Back