Share The Wealth?

neokellyzero

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
An odd thing happened to me after I got my GP2X in the mail last week. I spent and spent the entire week setting up emulators and everything else as best I could(damn dial up connection). I have determined this is the best $200 I have ever spent($300 after the SD cards/TV out/AC adaptor/ETC). The wife does not understand how awesome it is, so of course I show it to all of my friend's who have an interest in computer/video games and technology in general. They are amazed by this unit they have never heard of. I guess I wondering if anyone else feels like they need to share this gem with others, because they don't want them to miss out?

I have found that it is a good conversation starter if your around anybody. I was playing SNES on my GP2X at school today, and this big, buff guy who you would never think would be interested in gaming came up to me, asked me what it was and I explained. Then he said that it was awesome and that he would trade it for his PSP right there. I refused.

a while back I was playing doom 2 on my gp2x and somebody was like wow full speed portable doom 2. :eek: "....do the cheats work" was the 1st thing he asked later that week he bought 1.

Oh yeah ive had negative responses too mainly for the crappy joystick. The other main problem people had was remembering how to select each game for a each system and they said theyd wait till theres a universal control for closing out and reloading games.

People complain too much. Developers take the time to work on emulators, the least those ungrateful SOBs can do is learn the buttons. But no, everything must be handed out to them on a gold platter, otherwise they go crying to Nintendo.

- Alex

what frustrates me is when people with insufficient IT skills really, really want one. there's this guy i know who loves his gaming, he's got pretty much every console and is currently saving for a real neo-geo but......

doesnt seem to be able to fully the concepts necessary to fully use the thing - the fact that some roms are in root\roms and some are in root\emus\megadrive\roms, the fact that different emus have different interfaces, bios files ("wha!!!"), zipped roms and unzipped roms. as for things like re-encoding video or changing skins? no way.

i am good at helping people with IT stuff like that but for some the gp2x will never be accessible.

Those kinds of people would probably be happy downloading the monster packs, and learning how to do it themselves later.

Or you could charge them to make up an SD with their favourite stuff on it..

That's just flooding the community with do-it-for-me dipshits though. That's the thing, the GP2X is not for everyone, and it shouldn't be for everyone. It should be for people who take the time to fully enjoy what it has to offer, for plug-n-play go with a sony or something simillar.

- Alex

As well as common sense to understand that high-drain digital devices need high-mAh rechargeable batteries. Someone should make a list.

- Alex

.. and it should be for people that have the skills to use a joystick.
or even those who have the skills to modify a non-satisfactory stock joystick. ;)

Looks like Rudolf the GP2X.

How did you mod that? Whats the nob made of?

looks like a tack :)

You people don't understand the stuff us MK1 people are going through, especially ones whos LTSKs are broken :p

Last edited by a moderator:
[/quote]

You people don't understand the stuff us MK1 people are going through, especially ones whos LTSKs are broken :p
[/quote]

Ahhh...there should be an early adopter's MK1 support group for the joystick.

Looks like Rudolf the GP2X.

How did you mod that? Whats the nob made of?

I'm a Mk2er, and I still think the stock stick is crap :(

As for what the nob is made of, it's the end of a blanking cover of a port on a fibre optic patch panel, with a small nut inside it, and the nut screws onto the end of a pen refill, which then slides onto the stick shaft. See here:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=32942

Last edited by a moderator:
Back