Cheap??

Lord Nelson

Still Fresh
Hi,

First time poster here. Discovered this machine by chance a couple of days ago and have spent far too much time here reading through the forum since then. I am almost decided to take the leap and order a unit from Play Asia or Craigs. But just almost.
Isn't this unit supposed to have a price advantage towards the psp?

An example:

A GP2X, AC adaptor, Ansmann batteries and a 1 GB card from Craigs sets me back 207£.

A GP2x, AC adaptor and a 1 GB card from Play Asia sets me back 167£,plus I need to get batteries so add 20£ for a grand total of 187£

A SPS Giga pack from Play.com consisting of a PSP, case, 1 GB memory stick, stand, battery pack, headphones and ac adaptor costs 205£ delivered to my door.

Seriously, isn't something wrong here?

I'm torn.

Cheers

Nelson

PSP is being sold to you at a loss. If Sony were selling it as GPH were, at a profit, it would cost twice as much :)

That's why Sony is trying to clamp down on homebrew.

(naw)mcx posted on Feb 27 2006 at 09:49 PM said:
For the psp you have to *shock horror* buy games. Any imo psp sucks :p

well, no I don't need to buy anything. There is a pretty thriving emulation scene on the psp as you may be aware of. If it were not for Sonys attempts to block the homebrew stuff the choice would have been pretty clear for me. I'm not looking to develop anything, just play a lot of emus and occasionaly watch a movie.

For the record, I have absolutely no interest in paying 35 pounds for a short lived psp game.

But maybe I should go for the Gp2x anyway. I dont know...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you like a thriving community, homebrew games and emulation, buy a GP2X.

If you want a high-powered, widescreen, graphics-based thing with a company behind it cutting off homebrew at every corner, buy a PSP. Thing is, 1.5 fw PSPs are hard to come by, and you can only play homebrew in 2.5 with GTA and an exploiter.

I'm biased, obviously, but the GP2X has an amazing scene.

If you order from play-asia.com via courier (UPS and such) you'll be charged another £32.00 ON TOP of the actual item and shipping costs on arrival of your parcel. That's what happened to me and it turned out to be more expensive than if I ordered from Craig or EvilDragon instead. ... oh well :p

"SunSpire"

Tv-Out Support(whilst still having an ergonomic console to play with, without having a big, ugly box on top of it)
All this at a usuable Resolution-higher than the screen-Res (as far as I know it is just impossible to do that with a Psp -please proof me wrong here)

Shikaku posted on Feb 27 2006 at 10:02 PM said:
It would also be better to order from CraigX anyway, since you can contact him right here if need be...

Yeah, that's my thinking as well. For 25 pounds profit (that might turn into a loss) i'm not particularly inclined to order from the other side of the globe.

It's just a lot of money for a toy.

SunSpire posted on Feb 27 2006 at 11:01 PM said:
If you order from play-asia.com via courier (UPS and such) you'll be charged another £32.00 ON TOP of the actual item and shipping costs on arrival of your parcel. That's what happened to me and it turned out to be more expensive than if I ordered from Craig or EvilDragon instead. ...  oh well :p

"SunSpire"

You shouldn't have let it ship via UPS, because there's a bigger chance you have to pay tax for the purchased article. Try via normal post next time.

PS: I'm surprised how fast this topic has acquired this many replies. The GP2X pr machine hard at work! :)

mattc posted on Feb 27 2006 at 10:28 PM said:
Don't forget to add 11$ for a new cap from DaveC.

Come to think of it, I am not helping here am I?

MattC
err, no.

;)

Buy a PSP if you want the happy trendy plastic spoonfed robot lifestyle.

Buy a GP2X if you want to be part of something better (but don't mind being rejected by most of society).

What do you mean ... "rejected by society" ?

So far I've only had positive response from my workmates, I was surprised how many actually remembered the good old sega classics, even a PSP owner enjoyed the GP2X and did not try to flame it ... :)

... it's strange, for some reason comparing the PSP with the '2X seems to me like comparing balloons with pizza.

"SunSpire"

Yeah I don't get the GP2X OR PSP but not both mindset here. I work with a guy with a PSP and I've shown him my GP2X and he thinks it's great and is tempted to get one himself. I might get a PSP myself but probably not since I'm not too big on newer games, I'm pretty happy playing all the retro classics on the GP2X. Making it out to be some war or something doesn't help either console.

SunSpire posted on Feb 27 2006 at 11:44 PM said:
What do you mean ... "rejected by society" ?

So far I've only had positive response from my workmates, I was surprised how many actually remembered the good old sega classics, even a PSP owner enjoyed the GP2X and did not try to flame it ... :)
I just mean that you move "outside the norm" of society. I do find that a lot of people fail to understand the GP2X, and just dismiss it. Show them a PSP with whizzy graphics and they tend to be more impressed. Also, the GP2X is not available on the high street, nor are any games or peripherals for it. In that sense it is also rejected (although perhaps unaccepted would be more fair).

Yeah sorry cbox I don't want to start a flame. PSP certainly has it's merits. I just prefer the ideaology of GP2X (homebrew) than that of Sony (controlled content). I actually do think that homebrew vs controlled content is a war, and I know which side I want to win. And I don't believe that buying a PSP and hacking it helps the cause of homebrew.

Back