PowerVR SGX 530

tessio

Still Fresh
Hello,

I just want to know if the PowerVR SGX 530 shipped with OpenPandora has a open source driver.. or it use a binary blob.

Thanks!

It's a binary blob. Someone was working on reverse engineering it to produce his own open source driver, but I'm not sure how far development got before he abandoned the project.

It's a binary blob. Someone was working on reverse engineering it to produce his own open source driver, but I'm not sure how far development got before he abandoned the project.

could you please let me know who that is? i'd like to either a) get hold of their work (which they should have released during development, f*****g pisses me off when people work on "private" free software projects "uhhh, because it's uhhhn not finished yet, i might embarrass myself by showing how crap the code is" completely defeats the object of the project being free software and being collaborative *sigh*...) or B) put them in touch with tomasz, who *is* working actively on reverse-engineering PowerVR, has it working successfully on the S3C6410, and needs help in creating the appropriate "shim" kernel drivers for other platforms and also help on reverse-engineering the USSE (Shader Engine) which is a user-programmable engine that we know absolutely nothing about.

http://code.google.com/p/gles6410

and YES this code WILL WORK on other CPUs, with very little modification and adaptation, and YES it is very little effort to do that, because there already exist GPL kernel drivers for the proprietary libraries for the OMAP35xx, OMAP4 etc. etc.

l.

Was it not the guy who was complaining about how hard it was to cancel his order (M Urbanski ???) If it was then it's even less likely to be completed than the zero % chance there was before. :(

could you please let me know who that is? i'd like to either a) get hold of their work (which they should have released during development, f*****g pisses me off when people work on "private" free software projects "uhhh, because it's uhhhn not finished yet, i might embarrass myself by showing how crap the code is" completely defeats the object of the project being free software and being collaborative *sigh*...)
Most people work on free projects to learn new skills or to improve the skills that they already have. It would be pointless if they released the first part of the code and other people run away with the project. They wouldn't get to learn anything then would they?

If people work for free it's up to them if they want to release code or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back