Serious Battery/wifi Issue

daffy

Just opened my Pandora that had been fully closed a couple of hours previously that I took out with me. On opening, it had a "join wifi network" dialog up. This comes up regularly even though it's my home wifi network and it ought to just join automatically and stay connected.

After I dismissed that, it said my battery was exhausted. Apparently, even while closed, it was doing some wifi-related activity that flattened the battery in just a couple of hours, even with the screen off.

I understand the software is still in development; I'm just saying that this deserves fairly immediate attention, if someone has a chance, please?

Keep up the great work!

seconded...
my pandora also seems to have this urge to doublecheck the security code now and then...
though i havent noticed a huge battery drain...

i use it too much to leave it at that dialog. haha

This is due to a known bug in Network Manager, which is not Pandora-specific. Your connection will get dropped occasionally, and even though it will ask you to confirm your router's security information, it won't be able to reconnect unless you use the Toggle WiFi option in the Xfce menu. Whilst it is disconnected, however, the WiFi chip is still on, and Network Manager keeps scanning for networks, which is (according to something I read that was, as far as I remember, written by EvilDragon) very battery-intensive.

EDIT: Chucked out the unnecessary quotes. :p

daffy said:
Just opened my Pandora that had been fully closed a couple of hours previously that I took out with me. On opening, it had a "join wifi network" dialog up. This comes up regularly even though it's my home wifi network and it ought to just join automatically and stay connected.

After I dismissed that, it said my battery was exhausted. Apparently, even while closed, it was doing some wifi-related activity that flattened the battery in just a couple of hours, even with the screen off.

I understand the software is still in development; I'm just saying that this deserves fairly immediate attention, if someone has a chance, please?

Keep up the great work!

The only thing that happens when you close your Pandora is that the Screen turns off. If you want some sort of sleep mode, then you need to flick the power switch to the right. It will turn off WiFi, and downclock the processor for you until you flick the switch again to bring it back out. They made it so that closing the device only turns off the screen so that people could still use the device while it is closed. (like to use it as an MP3 player)

If I understood you wrong and you are just angry about how much battery the WiFi uses, then I don't think that can be fixed. You could set up a hotkey so that you could turn your WiFi on or off without having to go through menus.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the wisdom.

Not angry. Sorry if it came across that way. It's an open-source volunteer project. Just pointing out a problem.

I'd have posted a bug if there was a bug tracker set up for this sort of thing. Or perhaps there is, and that information is also folklore...

When I said keep up the great work, that wasn't sarcasm. I'm excited about where this is going.

Cheers!

I would be very surprised if that wasn't in the quick start guide. I'd check, but I don't have one and wasn't able to find the contents online with a quick search and I'm lazy right now.

You might want to take a look at the User Manual page on the wiki. Power Modes and bug tracking are both addressed, the latter even in the introduction.

daffy said:
I'd have posted a bug if there was a bug tracker set up for this sort of thing. Or perhaps there is, and that information is also folklore...
In the "I need help" section(where I moved this topic) is a sticky with links to the bugtracker, manual, etc. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back