Serial Cable


Empyre

*w00t*
Joined
Sep 21, 2005
Messages
355
Age
53
Location
Farnborough (UK)
Website
www.gp2xdev.co.uk
I just got my serial lead, it seems very well made, was well packaged and delivered in good speed etc.

One endorsement for toyz4boyz here.

Now if only i can figure out why windows thinks my serial port is already in use even though I've never used it; I can test it!
 

saboteur

Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2005
Messages
172
Empyre posted on Dec 15 2005 at 10:57 AM said:
I just got my serial lead, it seems very well made, was well packaged and delivered in good speed etc.

One endorsement for toyz4boyz here.

Ditto.

Can't wait to have a play tonight.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

xafier

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
313
Age
36
Location
Sheffield, England
Website
www.xafiers-home.com
Got mine the other day, I also bought a serial -> usb adapter, couldn't be arsed to pull my PC out, and the cable wouldn't be long enough anyways to reach from PC to my desk...

works good, 115200 baud, 8 N 1, XON/XOFF ... settings for hyperterminal :)
 

Aimless_E

Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
461
So beyond visualizing the boot up process and seening console messages that might help with debuging a program what good is the serial cable? Can I fix my beloved gp2x with one?(fried my bootloader) or should I just send it back for repair?
 

Paradox

oh em gee
Joined
Nov 15, 2005
Messages
1,748
Age
33
Location
England
Website
Visit site
if you send it back for repair, they will simply use the cable to reflash the system to fix it, but i'd reccommend buying your own incase it happens again, you can flash it yourself without sending it back, waiting for postage..postage costs andeverything..

i dont know any other practical uses for it..maybe others have ideas..
 

Aimless_E

Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
461
Paradox posted on Dec 15 2005 at 09:45 AM said:
if you send it back for repair, they will simply use the cable to reflash the system to fix it, but i'd reccommend buying your own incase it happens again, you can flash it yourself without sending it back, waiting for postage..postage costs andeverything..

i dont know any other practical uses for it..maybe others have ideas..

Thats exactly what I wanted to hear.
thanks! :)

Oh by the way how do you flash the unit? :huh:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

OCA|

Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2005
Messages
105
Aimless_E posted on Dec 15 2005 at 09:49 AM said:
Paradox posted on Dec 15 2005 at 09:45 AM said:
if you send it back for repair, they will simply use the cable to reflash the system to fix it, but i'd reccommend buying your own incase it happens again, you can flash it yourself without sending it back, waiting for postage..postage costs andeverything..

i dont know any other practical uses for it..maybe others have ideas..

Thats exactly what I wanted to hear.
thanks! :)

Oh by the way how do you flash the unit? :huh:


Actually, from what I hear that is inaccurate. What you need is not the serial cable, but the JTAG cable, which is not reasonably available (I say reasonably because you CAN pay $150 for one from some company whos name escapes me). Many distributors don't have their JTAG cables yet either.

-OCA|
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Empyre

*w00t*
Joined
Sep 21, 2005
Messages
355
Age
53
Location
Farnborough (UK)
Website
www.gp2xdev.co.uk
Aimless_E posted on Dec 15 2005 at 02:49 PM said:
Paradox posted on Dec 15 2005 at 09:45 AM said:
if you send it back for repair, they will simply use the cable to reflash the system to fix it, but i'd reccommend buying your own incase it happens again, you can flash it yourself without sending it back, waiting for postage..postage costs andeverything..

i dont know any other practical uses for it..maybe others have ideas..

Thats exactly what I wanted to hear.
thanks! :)

Oh by the way how do you flash the unit? :huh:
Not necessarily true...

If you still get the black GP2X boot image when you turn on your 2x then you can repair it using a serial cable. UBoot (the main boot thingy) is still ok, thats the prog that tries to upgrade the firmware and nand files. See DJWillis's guide for fixing your GP2X.

If you just get weird lines (or nothing) when you turn on the 2X it has lost the UBoot prog and you will need a JTag cable to repair it. These are not available yet.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Aimless_E

Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
461
Damn it !
Well from what Gbax.com is saying they should get the jtag cables in a week or two. And if the jtag cables are going to cost as much as I am lead to believe. Then sending it back is just a little more cost effective in my opinion. Guess Ill be heading to the post office after work today. :(
 

xafier

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
313
Age
36
Location
Sheffield, England
Website
www.xafiers-home.com
I think the main use for the serial cables for people are for debugging, thats why I got mine, allows you to just output debugging info which can be very vital for tracking things...

I guess it'd come in handy for fixing kernel if it breaks, but the main purpose is for debugging and for developers... not a must buy item for the average user :)
 

slygamer

Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2005
Messages
795
Location
Brisbane, Australia
Website
Visit site
Empyre posted on Dec 16 2005 at 12:57 AM said:
If you still get the black GP2X boot image when you turn on your 2x then you can repair it using a serial cable. UBoot (the main boot thingy) is still ok, thats the prog that tries to upgrade the firmware and nand files. See DJWillis's guide for fixing your GP2X.

If you just get weird lines (or nothing) when you turn on the 2X it has lost the UBoot prog and you will need a JTag cable to repair it. These are not available yet.
In DJWillis' guide, the serial cable is for monitoring the flash, not for actually performing the flash.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Empyre

*w00t*
Joined
Sep 21, 2005
Messages
355
Age
53
Location
Farnborough (UK)
Website
www.gp2xdev.co.uk
slygamer posted on Dec 15 2005 at 10:09 PM said:
In DJWillis' guide, the serial cable is for monitoring the flash, not for actually performing the flash.
I think everyone who reads this thread (and the guide) will realise that, talk about stating the bleedin' obvious!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top