Serial Cable

Empyre

*w00t*
Website
www.gp2xdev.co.uk
I just got my serial lead, it seems very well made, was well packaged and delivered in good speed etc.

One endorsement for toyz4boyz here.

Now if only i can figure out why windows thinks my serial port is already in use even though I've never used it; I can test it!

Empyre posted on Dec 15 2005 at 10:57 AM said:
I just got my serial lead, it seems very well made, was well packaged and delivered in good speed etc.

One endorsement for toyz4boyz here.

Ditto.

Can't wait to have a play tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got mine the other day, I also bought a serial -> usb adapter, couldn't be arsed to pull my PC out, and the cable wouldn't be long enough anyways to reach from PC to my desk...

works good, 115200 baud, 8 N 1, XON/XOFF ... settings for hyperterminal :)

So beyond visualizing the boot up process and seening console messages that might help with debuging a program what good is the serial cable? Can I fix my beloved gp2x with one?(fried my bootloader) or should I just send it back for repair?

if you send it back for repair, they will simply use the cable to reflash the system to fix it, but i'd reccommend buying your own incase it happens again, you can flash it yourself without sending it back, waiting for postage..postage costs andeverything..

i dont know any other practical uses for it..maybe others have ideas..

Paradox posted on Dec 15 2005 at 09:45 AM said:
if you send it back for repair, they will simply use the cable to reflash the system to fix it, but i'd reccommend buying your own incase it happens again, you can flash it yourself without sending it back, waiting for postage..postage costs andeverything..

Thats exactly what I wanted to hear.
thanks! :)

Oh by the way how do you flash the unit? :huh:

Aimless_E posted on Dec 15 2005 at 09:49 AM said:

Actually, from what I hear that is inaccurate. What you need is not the serial cable, but the JTAG cable, which is not reasonably available (I say reasonably because you CAN pay $150 for one from some company whos name escapes me). Many distributors don't have their JTAG cables yet either.

-OCA|

Aimless_E posted on Dec 15 2005 at 02:49 PM said:

Not necessarily true...

If you still get the black GP2X boot image when you turn on your 2x then you can repair it using a serial cable. UBoot (the main boot thingy) is still ok, thats the prog that tries to upgrade the firmware and nand files. See DJWillis's guide for fixing your GP2X.

If you just get weird lines (or nothing) when you turn on the 2X it has lost the UBoot prog and you will need a JTag cable to repair it. These are not available yet.

Damn it !
Well from what Gbax.com is saying they should get the jtag cables in a week or two. And if the jtag cables are going to cost as much as I am lead to believe. Then sending it back is just a little more cost effective in my opinion. Guess Ill be heading to the post office after work today. :(

I think the main use for the serial cables for people are for debugging, thats why I got mine, allows you to just output debugging info which can be very vital for tracking things...

I guess it'd come in handy for fixing kernel if it breaks, but the main purpose is for debugging and for developers... not a must buy item for the average user :)

Empyre posted on Dec 16 2005 at 12:57 AM said:
If you still get the black GP2X boot image when you turn on your 2x then you can repair it using a serial cable. UBoot (the main boot thingy) is still ok, thats the prog that tries to upgrade the firmware and nand files. See DJWillis's guide for fixing your GP2X.

If you just get weird lines (or nothing) when you turn on the 2X it has lost the UBoot prog and you will need a JTag cable to repair it. These are not available yet.
In DJWillis' guide, the serial cable is for monitoring the flash, not for actually performing the flash.

slygamer posted on Dec 15 2005 at 10:09 PM said:
In DJWillis' guide, the serial cable is for monitoring the flash, not for actually performing the flash.
I think everyone who reads this thread (and the guide) will realise that, talk about stating the bleedin' obvious!

Back