Sending/receiving sms on Pandora

ryan27968

Hi all. Has anyone tried to send sms through their pandora? I know, it has no SIM card, cellular chip, etc, but could it possibly be connected to an android phone over bluetooth and send/receive messages that way? I know there are cloud based solutions, but that is useless unless you have a wifi connection on your Pandora (and free wifi is unbelievably rare in south africa).

Hou Hou Hou,that is interresting for me too ;)

I have an Android Phone and can make Tethering via Bluetooth or Wlan.

Can i send SMS from the Pandora via Tethering?

I don't know if there are any existing solutions for that, but you can write an app that can communicate with other devices via bluetooth and send SMS programmatically. Shouldn't be that hard to do, either. You just have to define some simple bluetooth protocol for the communication and a simple buetooth listener that sends out SMS on incoming bluetooth commands.

Then, on the Pandora you have to write a client that can connect to the device and send the command. The same goes for receiving messages, but the other direction, obviously ^^.

Sounds like a fun project, actually.

I use Google voice on my Pandora. You would need internet access through your tethered phone, but it works if you do.

Many phone carriers have browser based methods of receiving and sending SMS messages.

I use Google voice on my Pandora. You would need internet access through your tethered phone, but it works if you do.

Many phone carriers have browser based methods of receiving and sending SMS messages.
I know that i can do both those things, but the point is to take advantage of the Pandora's large keyboard/screen to send sms without needing an internet connection.

I figured when you said connecting via bluetooth i thought it implied cell internet sharing like many phones can do. And what I often do when there is no wifi where I'm at.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought of an interesting little (well, maybe not so little) project

Android app

- Reads SMS messages off the phone

- Sends SMS messages via carrier

- Opens a TCP server for reading/writing messages (transfer can be encrypted)

Pandora/Desktop app

- Connects via TCP to the Android app

- Gets messages off Android, provides template to construct new messages

That might be quite nice to use from desktops at home too. Get home, switch the WiFi on, leave the phone somewhere with signal and go work on your PC :)

That sounds like a fun project. If you're planning to make this application i would help you out, if you want.

For older phones Gammu/Wammu is maybe worth a view.

It is really odd, that more modern mobil phones have less possibilities. :\

Here is a database of supported phones and what is supported. So maybe you find your phone in the list. ;)

http://wammu.eu/phones/

Well you can plug in a 3g dongle and just send one with some terminal foo. This theoretically works even with BT but using the pandora as BT keyboard would be easier there.

I advise to take a look at "umtsmon", its a little tool that can send sms using your 3g devices ...

Back