Search in this forums seems to ignore 3-character words?

hmc

Hi,

is it only me, or is it generally not possible to use the search here for 3-character search terms?

e.g. if I try to search for "USB OTG", no results come up. Even if I only search for "USB".

Many such meaningful abbreviations contain only three characters. Hence It would be good, if search would work with them.

Most Forum search functions need at least 4 characters, I noticed this pretty often. Quotes like in google search to connect 2 or more words as one with " " also seems not to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it's a bummer about most forum searches. They should just "blacklist" the most common short 3 words like "the" and "and", and allow all other words that are 3 characters long.

Hell yes. This freaking peeves me no end.

It makes me want to find someone, anyone... and maul them with a blunt spoon. :angry:

Would be a good idea to edit the feature to omit those common 3 letter words [and/the/etc] and allow the rest to be searchable.

As a workaround, you could use the asterisk wildcard, which would detect a 'space character' then show your results in most cases...

example:

USB*

that will show the posts with USB mentioned.

depending on the term, I guess some searches would not be ideal.

Also could take it to google and use their search site feature, example:

USB site:boards.openpandora.org

Not perfect, but might save you some stress for the immediate one

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks, good hints, at least for a temporary workaround. ;-)

ED, would it be possible for you to change the search behavior on this forum?

Back