Hdds Vs Sd Cards

Eh, for around the house sshfs isn't the best solution in terms of speed. The encryption slows things down considerably. I can't remember exactly off the top of my head, but I think one of the benchmarks of different network filesystems I saw had sshfs at about 2MB/s and NFS and CIFS somewhere around or a little above 6MB/s. Even so, I use sshfs all the time because I'm too lazy to set up NFS (even though it'd probably take me ten minutes at most).

Slightly more on topic, I'm probably going to stick with just SD cards because then I don't have to carry around anything extra (I'm going to leave the same 2 SD cards in the Pandora all the time) and external HDDs would probably be bad for battery life if they don't have a battery built-in. If they do have one, they're going to be even more bulky and that's one more thing you have to keep charged. However, I might at least try out using my old mp3 player (cowon X5L) as an external drive for the Pandora though.

I'll be using my Pandora around the house mostly so I'll stick mainly to SD card and stream all the files over wifi that I need, I've already got a Linux fileserver set up so I won't need to go out and get some big SD cards.

I will however be getting a portable hard drive for one reason. I'll be able to stick my music collection on it and take the Pandora with me on weekends away. I have friends that I sometimes stay with who still use CDs (what is this, the 90s? :blink: ). I'll be able to pack up my Pandora, a HDD and some portable speakers and have some proper choons when I'm away. It won't exactly be as good as the setup I've got at home with proper speakers but it'll be a damn sight better than listening to CDs on some £40 hifi system that was purchased from Comet which is what passes for a sound system at some of my friends' places. And one of my friends has nothing better than a laptop to play music on for chrissakes! Have you ever tried playing music on a laptop? It's hardly condusive to getting you in the party mood while you're getting ready for a big night out.

I tell you, the Pandora is going to be a lifesaver in these situations :D

I'll use a HDD over just getting a big SD card because my music collection is largely flac files which puts it at around 80 gigs. And I can't be bothered to re-encode that lot. Mind you, I have got my collection encoded in m4a format for my iPod too, will the Pandora play these?

magicman5421 said:
Guys.
For around the house, sshfs. set up an ssh server on your main computer and go wild.
Or equip an EV-DO modem and go wild ANYWHERE. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back