Sdxc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about using the Pandora as an all purpose gadget, for music, video, games, etc, and considering I already have 17 gb worth of music, plus a fairly big number on videos (specially on my pc since they either don't fit on my zen vision or are incompatible), 32 gb isn't that big anymore.

Among those purposes is using the pandora as a UMS device aand since it will probably block one sd card while in use, I would like to keep one sd permanently inside the pandora, and the other sd for miscellaneous stuff to use for the UMS mode and perhaps as a sd card reader.

'eksasol' said:
'Blue Ion' said:
SDHC cards have a maximum of 32 Gb of data.
SDXC cards have a maximum of 2 TB of data.

Obviously increasing the 64 gb limitation of the pandora to a totally insane 4 TB is a big plus.
Seriously though, what are the realistic size shxc will be realeased in. I find it hard to think there would be an actual 2terrabytes sd card being made when the consumer 3.5" hdd barely reach similar size. And how much would it cost anyway. $10,000?

Well, as lulzfish said we WILL run out of space with SDXC and a new standard WILL come, not only that, 2 TB WILL probably cost as much as now costs 32 gb, 30€ or so.

My interest lies in 64 or 128 gb card, since those are somewhat close to happening (maybe next year) and will probably solve all the storage solutions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the text says there won't be any SDXC cards until 2010 and the first cards will have "only" 32GB. They may be faster, but I bet pretty expensive and I don't feel like waiting an additional year - at least.

If it's cheap by 2012, I'd pay another 250€ for a new Pandora supporting this technique ;)

kollau said:
Well, the text says there won't be any SDXC cards until 2010 and the first cards will have "only" 32GB. They may be faster, but I bet pretty expensive and I don't feel like waiting an additional year - at least.

If it's cheap by 2012, I'd pay another 250€ for a new Pandora supporting this technique ;)

well maybe when its 2012 the discussion will actually be worthwhile

There are a lot of misconceptions and assumptions in this thread. Some of that is inevitable, since the SD assoc. won't actually tell anybody how these new cards work unless they pay membership dues. To clear up the rest:

SDXC cards are only theoretically capable of 2TB capacities. They are capable of addressing that much storage, but the technology needed to create chips of that capacity is at least five years away. The first cards will only be 32GB, and they won't surpass 64GB until next year (if then).

At this time there is only one SDXC card available for sale: www.dpreview.com/news/0903/09030601pretecsdxc.asp As you will note from that article, there currently no devices which can access it.

As others have pointed out, SDHC devices are perfectly capable of addressing 2TB of storage. The 32GB "limit" is purely a bureaucratic one. There will be 64GB (and probably larger) SDHC-compatible cards once chips of those sizes can be produced.

When the industry changed from SD to SDHC, the format wasn't nearly as entrenched as it is now. At this time there are hundreds of millions of electronic devices (digital cameras, PMPs, cell phones, digital camcorders, netbooks, GPS receivers, digital photo frames, etc.) that can access >32GB SDHC cards (some with firmware upddates, many as-is), none of which will be able to use SDXC cards. It is ludicrous to think that none of the solid state memory manufacturers will bother to service that enormous customer base.

This isn't like the situation with the GP32 and SMC cards. SMC cards were practically obsolete when the the GP32 shipped. SDHC cards have a decade or more of usefulness and industry support left in them. SDXC won't even be common in high-end devices for at least a year. They won't be ubiquitous for at least 2-3. In the meantime, SDHC will remain the de-facto standard.

'gp2.eXe' said:
Heheh... for my GP2X I only use a 2GB Card and that's more than enough for me! :lol:
Glad to know that I am not the only one! By now I only have about 70 megs of free space left, but more than 150 games installed :)

I wonder for how long they`ll keep making regular non-HC SD cards. I`m still waiting for 2GB Sandisks going for 99 cents in brick-and-mortar stores.

'gp2.eXe' said:
Heheh... for my GP2X I only use a 2GB Card and that's more than enough for me! :lol:
"640Kb ought to be enough for anybody."? What mutha said it 28 years ago? :)

And SD-XC: as long as standard SD-HC will be going cheaper and cheaper, SDXC will not overwhelm or dominate SDHC.

Imho 2x32GB SD-HC is really enough for handy device like panda, even if you store there PSX ISOs or SEGA CD Isos :) for your favoured emulator :)

'Alex.' said:
I wonder for how long they`ll keep making regular non-HC SD cards. I`m still waiting for 2GB Sandisks going for 99 cents in brick-and-mortar stores.
As long as consumers will throw dollars for it. Its hard to believe but you can buy NEW [ from this year ] 64mb SD cards on ebay...

'Squidge' said:
A more useful post would we one that at least included a URL to where you noticed this, rather than forcing people to search the web for what you have read.
Search the web? No, search the *forum*. The sheer brevity of the initial post strongly suggested that the time between thought and post was measured in seconds.

As for SDXC, pretty much anything I would have said has been said. I think manufacturers would be insane to produce cards that were incompatible with SDHC hardware (given that SDHC is perfectly capable of supporting cards that size) but that sort of insanity isn't without precedent. :(

It probably is enough. The main reason I would like more is to be able to carry my entire mp3 collection. So I need about 80GB.

lingenfr said:
It probably is enough. The main reason I would like more is to be able to carry my entire mp3 collection. So I need about 80GB.

oh gosh. how many songs is that? are you a pirate?

'StreaK' said:
'Xian Long' said:
... are you a pirate?
hardcore collector , maybe?

I know a software developer that owns over a thousand DVDs.

This guy though is probably a pirate. :p

Does it really matter? Did you dump all the roms yourself that you are going to play on emulators? I think we are all pirates here.

StreaK said:
"640Kb ought to be enough for anybody."? What mutha said it 28 years ago? :)No one. I actually made a post not too long ago explaining that myth. It's totally irrelevant to this topic.

'lingenfr' said:
you could buy *three 32gb sdhc card to fit 80gb. they arent that big that you cant carry an extra one in the pocket.

'WizardStan' said:
'StreaK' said:
"640Kb ought to be enough for anybody."? What mutha said it 28 years ago? :)No one. I actually made a post not too long ago explaining that myth. It's totally irrelevant to this topic.

In a sense you're correct, nobody who knew what RAM was at that point would be dumb enough to suggest that nobody would ever need more going into the future.

I'm not sure that I'd go so far as to say that nobody said that, at the time there were hardware constraints in play and I'm positive that somebody said that 640kb ought to be enough at that point. It was a design decision based upon guesses about what future hardware would need for addresses.

Hence the statement that "640Kb ought to be enough for anybody." would apply. Not that I have a source of anybody specifically uttering it, but somebody said something that added up to that at some point during the process.
'Squidge' said:
I think the electronics change is optional, as in, if you want to use the new speed offered by SDXC, then you may have to change your design. However, if you wish to restrict your communications to the 50Mhz supported by SDHC, then I don't see that as a problem, as SDHC cards are quite happy to run in the Khz range.

I might be wrong, but as one gets larger and larger cards the higher frequency becomes a practical necessity. It's sort of like how you can do a full volume DD off a 1.5tb HDD via usb 2.0 but it's absolutely miserable. Versus doing the same operation via a faster option like eSATA or even firewire 800.

'eksasol' said:
'lingenfr' said:
you could buy two 32gb sdhc card to fit 80gb.

1 + 1 = ....3?

'Tozarian' said:
Does it really matter? Did you dump all the roms yourself that you are going to play on emulators? I think we are all pirates here.

No, but I do own ~88% of the games, and did own another 10%

I'm actually a very moral pirate. I download TV shows, but not movies. I download games if they lack a demo, or to verify they don't crash due to DRM, but if I spend more than ~8 hours playing them I usually buy them.

The only exception to that is when the game comes from a company that patched one of their games so it doesn't run anymore. EA owes me about 4 games. ($200)

I suppose I try not to pirate games because I recognize the time that goes into creating them - but likewise, if the game devs are such fools that they completely break stability or compatibility, then I feel jibbed!

'Pleng' said:
1 + 1 = ....3?
The correct ratio is 2.5.

'lulzfish' said:
Confirmed: 1 + 1 = 2.5
That's not what I meant.

If 32+32 = 80, then 1+1 has to equal 2.5

I was wondering why he used 3 instead of 2.5? If 1+1 = 3, then 32+32 = 96; not 80!

'Xian Long' said:
'lingenfr' said:

oh gosh. how many songs is that? are you a pirate?
Could just be lossless, I have 7 albums ripped for one artist in FLAC, which takes up about 4gb of space. Do that with 20 other artists and you have 80gb of music, it's really not that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back