Sd And Boot Questions

lorenzoferrara

Still Fresh
Hello, I've searched on the forum for answers to these questions but couldn't
find any.

- If I buy a fast SD card (133x) will it be faster than a slow (66%) one?
- Is one of the SD card slots capable of booting an os (can I install Ubuntu on a SD card and boot it without touching the default OS?) ?

Bye

Lorenzo

lorenzoferrara said:
find any.

- Is one of the SD card slots capable of booting an os (can I install Ubuntu on a SD card and boot it without touching the default OS?) ?

Bye

Lorenzo

Yes, you can boot an OS via the SD cards. No doubt people will release Ubuntu and Android as SD images.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't answer your first question (Class 4 SDHC Cards are more than enough for me :p ), but regarding the second, I seem to recall it being said that there's a button combination which can be held when starting the machine which will allow you to boot from an SD Card (I'm sure you already know that you can't use the x86 version of Ubuntu, though). Whether that has changed, or what needs to be pressed, I don't know, though.

EDIT: Ninja'd. :ph34r:

lorenzoferrara said:
find any.

Bye

Lorenzo

Yes, more technically, you have to make a dual partition SD. Look here for more info.

Cheers,
Andrea

Few of these post will probably help you out regarding speed of sd and if it's worth the extra cost. (if that was what you was asking) here you go
My personal view here

Edit:
What I say here is a bit misleading. These post's are in regards to Pandora and includes talking about booting from card etc. Not just is a class 6 more worth it than a class 4 for example.

That was fast!

I will use my class 10 SD card and try to use it to boot Ubuntu for ARM.

Now I just need my Pandora.

Thank you all!

MWeston's post about SD cards speed. He said that someone report 15 MB/s on Beagle board. I personally looking for guaranteed 20 MB/s SD card but they are quite expensive.

Back