Release ScummVM

Good luck tracking down EOTB, really keen to know what people make of that on the OP. 
It's actually really good on OP. Nubs and touchscreen are both smooth on it, sound and VGA match my old PC perfectly.

The only thing I wish it had was the ability to rotate left and right using the shoulder buttons. It's likely a pipe dream though, because I don't think any hard keys were mapped to that in the software.

Just here to add to the "thank you"-list.

Since I don't have so much time any more, I don't play a lot of adventures, and specially on the Pandora I more and more do quick and short games. Never the less ScummVM is among the absolute essentials for me! Sometimes I just start up Monkey Island to see how great it looks (and sounds, since I have the Amiga Version) on the Pandora! (Which reminds me: I usually prefer the original aspect-ratio, your plan for 768*480 sounds good, though).

So thanks for keeping this up to date! It's just a matter of time until I will play through another classic adventure again on the Pandora (the last one was "Full Throttle", played together with my girlfriend. I still remember because it was so much fun)!

About better controls: these Adventrues just scream for using the touch-screen. But when you do, you loose the ability to just scan with the cursor for usable objects (mouse-over) because it usually registeres a left-click immediately (so in Monkey Island for example Guybrush walks immediately, or opens the door, and you can't just "look" around with the cursor to see what's the in the first place).

Maybe one could assign the shoulder-buttons (or a more suitable key) to "no-click-mode", meaning: while you keep the button pressed, you can move the cursor with the stylus to any position on the screen without triggering a left-click?

I think some of the other unintuitive controls (like using the F-keys to get menus, save, quit) are from the original engine. They are very strange, but I still think one should keep them ... it's how it was, nobody would re-assign "start"-button in an emulator either :)

Just here to add to the "thank you"-list.

Since I don't have so much time any more, I don't play a lot of adventures, and specially on the Pandora I more and more do quick and short games. Never the less ScummVM is among the absolute essentials for me! Sometimes I just start up Monkey Island to see how great it looks (and sounds, since I have the Amiga Version) on the Pandora! (Which reminds me: I usually prefer the original aspect-ratio, your plan for 768*480 sounds good, though).

So thanks for keeping this up to date! It's just a matter of time until I will play through another classic adventure again on the Pandora (the last one was "Full Throttle", played together with my girlfriend. I still remember because it was so much fun)!

About better controls: these Adventrues just scream for using the touch-screen. But when you do, you loose the ability to just scan with the cursor for usable objects (mouse-over) because it usually registeres a left-click immediately (so in Monkey Island for example Guybrush walks immediately, or opens the door, and you can't just "look" around with the cursor to see what's the in the first place).

Maybe one could assign the shoulder-buttons (or a more suitable key) to "no-click-mode", meaning: while you keep the button pressed, you can move the cursor with the stylus to any position on the screen without triggering a left-click?

I think some of the other unintuitive controls (like using the F-keys to get menus, save, quit) are from the original engine. They are very strange, but I still think one should keep them ... it's how it was, nobody would re-assign "start"-button in an emulator either :)
Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Not sure if you realise by Y toggles the 'Touchscreen mode' in the same way it works on the GamePark backends. It toggles between Left Click, Hover and Right Click. That was about the best compromise I could come up with along with some other button combos for things like left click when in hover etc. I think that answers most of what you requested. Its all in the documentation and at http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/OpenPandora 

As for the rest, your quite right, they are mostly the original key bindings and I suspect it would be more work to come up with special options (and overriding on a game by game basis).

I kept meaning to setup a way of swapping the mappings for ABXY onto the DPad and vice versa to help with left/right handers but never got around to finishing that off, one more for the TODO ;) .

Edit: Actually, I added a 'Touchpad mode' that lets you use the DPad to 'click' where the stylus is :) . Just keep tapping Y until it comes up.

Completely forgot about that and also forgot to add it to the doco. I think I added that years ago ;) .

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh cool! Didn't know that. Now I have to play through some of the old classics again! (And learn to read the documentation first, even if I know how it works on the PC :p )

Thanks Djwillis. Your hard work is appreciated. I'm looking forward to playing The Neverhood on the pandy. Was that 1.6 or 1.7?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Thanks Djwillis. Your hard work is appreciated. I'm looking forward to playing The Neverhood on the pandy. Was that 1.6 or 1.7?Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
Neverhood is playable on newer daily versions (1.7). Pandora binaries can be downloaded directly from ScummVM.org, though I'd only recommend using them for those upcoming titles. The 1.6 stable version is overall more Pandy-friendly.

I thought the latest pandy version on the scummvm site was 1.5?

I thought the latest pandy version on the scummvm site was 1.5?

Nope, I put 1.6 up on the ScummVM site and the OP repo.

1.7 will add support for The Neverhood all being well and I plan to get a preview build out on my site for that over the next few days but as Dahak mentioned you can try it in the daily builds from our buildbot but these are debug builds with little in the way of optimisation and a lot slower  :unsure: . The buildbot builds are really for developers to make sure code changes do not break other platforms not for day to day use.

Would you mind adding support for Mohawk stuff as well? I'm sure there's people that want to try Riven, Myst and other mohawk out (Like myself) :p

Thanks dj. How do I use the build both? Is there any documentation?

Tnx a lot for the update, i put it over the previous version i had.

However, i cannot load my save games anymore, the saves are still in the data directory, but when i start a game that i have a save game for, the load save game button is greyed out, is there any way i can fix this?

Do you guys have a general problem saving ? I could only test "Broken Sword" and "Woodruff and the schnibble" but could load old saves without a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well for me it's the opposite: I was getting a crash when loading a save with Leisure Suit Larry 1 Remake on build 1.5. This crash was solved in version 1.6. I didn't test many games though...

yeah i have trouble saving too, it seems to depend on the game, for example in discworld i can load, but not save.

And in other games i can save but not load, and some games wont allow me to return to the launcher.

Even though they've been released a few years I only recently heard about the Ultimate Talkie editions of Monkey Island 1 and 2. Have any Pandorans tried these under Scummvm?

A completely off-on-a-tangent question: Is there any scene with fan translations of ScummVM games? I think my kids would love it, if I could get my hand on a swedish translation.

Years ago I finished Monkey Island 1 and 2 on my Amiga but I always liked Dominic Armato's portrayal of Guybrush in the later games. I got both the special editions of the first two on my xbox 360 but I like the idea of playing talkie versions on my Pandora too!

Back