Scummvm For The Gp32 0.5.1 - Scummy Alpha

Fanck,

That is for understanding the resource and script data. It is of no use (directly) to ScummVM. Your not going to magicly get MP3 or OGG support for The Dig, trust me :lol:.

Bgbennyboy is one of the ScummVM team and I think that was created to help with support for The Dig (and work on Residual, the Grim/EMI VM).

so I guess until scummVM isn't supporting compressed BUN files we will have to wait =)
thought since it was possible to extract wav files and recompress into BUN file, that compressing them and playing them was supported. maybe in next scummvm release them (it would be nice, even if the dig would take an entire SMC without videos)

maybe in next scummvm release them (it would be nice, even if the dig would take an entire SMC without videos)
yeah i'd agree - this is quite a game with all the stuff happening on the pc

best thing is that clever old lucasarts have made it gp compatible !

if you play from the cd on the pc - then the 'text' which is spoken on screen by the characters is replaced with voice - you dont see the text, bit like broken sword

but on the gp - with no voice file - its still totally playable as the 'text' (similar to dott/monkey/zac etc) is displayed - nice

hope you get what i mean ?

get it anyway coz i'm bloody stuck down a shaft after messing with pieces of jigsaw which dont fit and i cant get out..... i'm not sure on my release dates for lucasarts games but the dig seems way ahead of monkey island.... 89mbs - not exactly a small game for our little machine

Last edited by a moderator:
Umm... not a bug but a feature request:

I'm used to press the . - key on my keyboard when I finished reading the dialogue line, so that I decide my reading speed.

Would it be possible to map this on one of the GP32 buttons?
It could also be mapped to the A or B button as you won't have to select any item or verb while they are talking ;)

BTW:
You mentioned you won't need a language selector for SCUMM games.
Monkey Island 1 enhanced CD-Version has different selectable languages.
However, I don't know how to select them since I haven't found the CD-version
anywhere yet :(

So the DIG works on gpscumm! how? Do you just copy over the bun file as there's no .001 file.

Update seems very stable - I like the cursor colour change so its easier to spot. Menus are a bit mucked up but not an issue. Save games not working are a bit annoying. Games don't freeze (for a few seconds) so much as with version 0.31.

keep up the good work - look forward to a beta/gold release

Fanck,

Unless you want to write The Dig compressed audio support then your going to be a little out of luch if you want to see it anytime soon :D. Same goes for Amiga MOD support as I understand it ;).

EvilDragon,

Damm good idea, added to the TODO list. It might have to be somthing like L&R at the same time though.

The language selector would be for non Scumm games like BASS, FOTAQ etc.

scottm,

Magic Knight tells you what files you need for The Dig in his 1st post.

Save games not working are a bit annoying.
Really, whats wrong with them? Save support is one of the things I thought I had sorted.

I like the cursor colour change so its easier to spot.

The cursor should stay the way it is now but I am still looking at ways to speed it up a bit. I don't think it will be as fast as the older builds as some of the hacks it used just don't work anymore.

Menus are a bit mucked up but not an issue.
Those crappy menus are an endangered species. I just need to sort a few small bugs in the new ones and (hopfully) get an email back from somebody with some help ;).

What is wrong with them out of interest? Over sensitive GP joystick?

DJWILLIS,

sorry should have said that savegames from the previous (overclocked 156mhz) version don't work with version 5 - it just says invalid save game - they don't work from games saved in v5 back to v3 either.

Also I was playing Indy 4 (FOA) on version .3 with the 156mhz overclocked version and was about half way through (with 2 or 3 saves inc. autosave). Then I tried the new version and it said all the save games were from an invalid version. Then when I went back to version .3 it still said the save games were from an invalid version - meant I had to start playing from the start again :(

The menus I was talking about are when you select which game to load - the border graphics seems to be all mucked up!

Finally, any chance of the ericsson chatboard support in the future?

Any chance of the ericsson chatboard support in the future?

Maybe :D, I really like the idea of using it for saves, adding games etc.
For playing games it would be a lot more use for Sarien port ;) though all Scumm games have 'hot' keys.

If I get my hands on one at some point i'll see what I can do. It's not something i'll do soon though.

Then I tried the new version and it said all the save games (From gpScumm 3c) were from an invalid version.

Hmmm, You could try the 0.3.1 save games in the PC 0.5.1 version then save again and copy that back to the GP32. It will only open the file unless you try and save over the top. Ohh, did I mention this was an alpha that could ruin your day ;).

The menus I was talking about are when you select which game to load - the border graphics seems to be all mucked up!

Ahhh, you mean the background to the launcher? I doubt i'll fix that as it is not really a big problem to me and I can only think of an evil hack to get around it.

I did add a loading screen at one point but I removed the code (some problem, can't remember what).

since I don't know what else to test I think I'm gonna look into the source to see if I find anything. anyway I don't think I'm good enought to quite understand this mess ;-P

anyway, since there is .SO3 and .SOG, is it possible to use the code about these files with .BUN files from The Dig?
I took a look in source but it seems that sound and music codes are in several places, and I'm not sure I can put them all together to understand how they are detected AND exploited by ScummVM...

Ok =) I'll see that once I'll have theses BUN files.

more playing (err... testing =), on DOTT the GP32 reboot just after shutting down green's stereo.

Heres a sound bug in Indiana Jones and the fate of atlantis. i encoded the .sou file like it says in the readme file and when i played it the voices are too fast and high pitched. I think it has something to do with the sound frequencey. the version of scummvm for gp uses the sound frequency 22,000khz but atlantis is not when encoded i think it's 22,010khz.

this might be a little off-topic but, anyone tried Zak FM-Towns version? I mean with ScummVM or GPScummVM there's lot of bugs I don't see on scummvm website. like some sounds not playing (ie: Kazoo) and some palette errors (first ingame cutscene and zak's living room)

anyone else got these errors?

this might be a little off-topic but, anyone tried Zak FM-Towns version? I mean with ScummVM or GPScummVM there's lot of bugs I don't see on scummvm website. like some sounds not playing (ie: Kazoo) and some palette errors (first ingame cutscene and zak's living room)
There are loads of problems with Zak FM-Towns on both the GP32 port and ScummVM it's self. There all in the bug reports on the ScummVM site.

It uses a Roland MT32 chip for sound for a start and the GP32 port does not implement that correctly/at all really. The palette errors are part of the bugs in 0.5.1 (I think); a LOT of work has gone into the FM Towns support for the coming 0.6.0 version including a new MT32 engine and loads of fixes. The GP32 port will get some/all of those features as I bring it more and more in line with the current CVS code.

Spaz O Mataz ,

Heres a sound bug in Indiana Jones and the fate of atlantis.
I'll look into that. Don't have Indy 4 to test currently.

Hmm... would it be possible to make an ini-configuration where you can easily remap the buttons for yourself? :)
*cough* go away *cough* :D :D :D

Possible but not on my short list to do. About the same sort of level as Chatboard support so a maybe.

It does however sound like it might work nicely with the new config management stuff I have just put in to keep the scummvm.ini, config.dat, debug.out and game files out of GPMM ;).

Edit for spelling.

once the digmusic.bun converted to wav it was 500+ Mo, now to OGG it's only 70.4Mo. COmpiled into BUN file it's 71Mo
I'm on my try to try this on digvoice.bun too. Don't know how much space I'm gonna win on this one.

I don't know why, but MP3 compression makes files smaller for ScummVM.

And since a future version of scummVMGP can also do the MP3 compression... :)

once the digmusic.bun converted to wav it was 500+ Mo, now to OGG it's only 70.4Mo. COmpiled into BUN file it's 71Mo
I'm on my try to try this on digvoice.bun too. Don't know how much space I'm gonna win on this one.
Sweet :D :D,

If you make much more headway on this drop into the ScummVM IRC chan.

They would LOVE to know about your progress.

How are you striping out the samples and recombining them into the bun whilst maintaining the pointers? Are you using the code from the /scummwm/ module with patches?

Back