Scumm-thing's bothering me...

AJ_23

Still Fresh
I've seen a few posts by users of this forum commenting that they're played Lucasarts games through (completely) on their GP32's via ph0x's GPScumm...

I've put a few of my adventures onto my SMC now, and not one of them doesn't have something that makes it unplayable! So I need to know if this is just me missing something?

1. Monkey Island (CD-ROM) - No music (sound effects do work though). Can't save.
2. Monkey Isalnd (Floppy) - Corrupted music (very glitchy), no sound fx. Can't save.
3. D.O.T.T (CD-ROM) - Corrupted music, no sound fx. Whatever the character said last stays on screen. Hangs when player gains control of Hoagie. Can't save.
4. Sam & Max (CD-Rom) - No sound (fx or music). Can't save.

I understand that issues like the sound not working are because GPscumm is not a finished product - but if people have said that they have not had any problems... are they doing something differently?

And how are people finishing these games without saving? Are they just leaving their GP's on...? I've tried changing the save game directory, but it won't allow it...

Or am I just retarded? :blink:

to save, goto the save menu, select a slot, give it a name, then doubleclick on it, ive had no problems apart from my smc going mad and me ending up with corrupted data.

as for the other problems i dont know, but are you using the 132mhz version, its more stable, i cant even run the other version on my gp32.

hope this helps

Saving works for sure, i have used it loads, have you read the instructions on the scumm website?

This thread has been done before, try a search on this board for more answers.

-Craig.

www.gbax.com

Thanks for the responses,

have you read the instructions on the scumm website?

Yep...

This thread has been done before, try a search on this board for more answers.

I have searched and read through all of the threads relating to gpscumm on the board (I'm very used to opening my big fat mouth before rtfm as it were!).

However it has only compounded my confusion... people seem to have it working perfectly, yet I see others with the same problems as myself. When they mention them the common response is "Doesn't happen to me", so I assumed that there was a fundemental difference at play here...

to save, goto the save menu, select a slot, give it a name, then doubleclick on it

Thankyou monsta!

I did try this, but sods law - the one game I tried it on gave me the following error:

Failed to save game state to file:
gp:/GAME/MONKEY/monkeyvga.s01

It has just struck me that that filename has 9 characters in it... (hnnngggh!) - it works on the others though, thankyou!

I am running the 132mhz version (I also can't get the other(s) to run...)

I suppose the fact that I have Sam & Max and episodes of Family Guy (literally) in my hand is more than enough to make up for no/poor sound on the latter... :D

I've only played Sam 'n Max and DOTT, and here's the response you love: "Works fine for me".

I believe I grabbed disk versions, but I'm not sure as I have both versions of both games. For sound, and probably music, you may want to find some disk versions, as the monster.sou file is the one that contains the voices for the intros (and very likely music/sfx). The CD versions are currently too large (here's hoping for mp3 support and full talkies on our GP32s soon), so you need the disk version of monster.sou file.

For saving, I had a few problems, until I figured out what works for me:
1) Press start to bring up menu
2) "click" the save button
3) "click" on a save slot and type by holding R and pressing up/down
4) Press start again to return to game & save

That was for Sam & Max, I haven't tried saving in DOTT yet. Hope that helps!

Well, the 9 char thing can be sorted by renaming all the game files to shorter ones... as long as they're the same name, and have the same extension, it should be OK (i.e. Monkeyvga.lfl --> Monkey.lfl or Monkeyvga.000 --> Monkey.000 ; since it seems to be OK for everyone else...)

Well, the 9 char thing can be sorted by renaming all the game files to shorter ones... as long as they're the same name, and have the same extension, it should be OK (i.e. Monkeyvga.lfl --> Monkey.lfl or Monkeyvga.000 --> Monkey.000 ; since it seems to be OK for everyone else...)

Sadly the game files are already under 9 characters:

MONKEY.EXE
DISK01.LEC
DISK02.LEC
DISK03.LEC
DISK04.LEC
000.IFL
901.IFL
902.IFL
903.IFL
904.IFL

It seems that gpscumm just wants the savegames to have 'vga' included in the filename...

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll try to get hold of the floppy version of Sam & Max (for the .SOU file).

Okay, I'm still not %100 in the clear though. So, please one (final) question:

Does someone have The Secret of Monkey Island, running on their GP32, with sound (incl music) with no crackling...? That's all I really want to know as this will be a sticking point when I take my GP32 to work on Monday to show it off... :D

Thanks again!

ScummVM operates on its internal naming sceme for all the individual games. indy3, loomcd, zak256, monkeyvga, monkey, monkey2, atlantis, tentacle, samnmax, simon1dos, simon1win, simon1talkie, simon2dos, simon2win, simon2talkie, ft, comi, dig, samdemo, dottdemo, playfate, loom, monkeyega, indy3ega, zakega, maniacega, zakc64, maniacc64

as you can see, there are a few with names longer than 8 characters - notably, the Simon the Sorcerer games and Monkey Island VGA. the rest with invalid names don't really matter, as they don't work properly on ANY version of SCUMMvm.

--jo "directhex" shields

I had problems with sam and max hit the road - I havent got any subdirectories and the filenames seem sound - anyone had to fiddle wiith it to get it working ?

BTW all these work fine for me apart from small sound glitches @ 132 mhz

DOTT - amazing performance and sound only a little crackly
Monkey 1- spot on
Monkey 2 - spot on
Indy Jones Atlantis - perfect...
Full throttle- need bigger memory card !

heheh

Is Look playable?

I never played it in the past, though from reviews it looks like it is very audio oriented. Is it playable? And is it fun?

jeff

got it -

To get Sam and Max running - rename .sm0 and .sm1 to .000 and .000 respectively

Works a charm !

-=M=-

DOTT - amazing performance and sound only a little crackly
Monkey 1- spot on
Monkey 2 - spot on

What version of Monkey 1 are you using Mustang? And when you say spot on, do you mean that the music and fx sound perfect?
Also my version of DOTT - the music is barely distinguishable (so much crackling) :huh:

I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure out what I've doing differently! Please someone sooth my pain! :p

Thanks in advance

Okay - I've managed to dig out my floppy version of DOTT, after crying slightly after 4 checksum errors - I finally got the game onto my PC and into my SMC... The sound is infinitely better and all seems to function properly!

Hoorah!

Now could people please tell me what version of MI (1&2) they're running, as my floppy version of 1 is seemingly crap (sound wise) and I only have the CD version of 2 (which I can't find). So let me know if I'm going to have to traipse round to a friends house tomorrow... :huh: :D

skeezix: I suppose by "Look", you mean "Loom"?

I haven't gotten a GP yet, so I can't answer the "Is it playable question".

I CAN answer the others, though. Yes, it is audio-oriented. While you can technically play it by just remembering the colours in some places, you'd be missing out on a lot, and the music is absolutely beautiful. And yes, it's very fun, though short. In fact, it's probably the only adventure game that I've ever played more than once; I think I've played it about 15 times over so far. :D yeah, I crazy. Very powerful story and all that; it's a real shame it wasn't as big a success as they envisioned it (probably because it's not primarily a funny game), because the ending of Loom just screams "sequel".

P.S. For some reason my avatar seems to not be working... it's uploaded from my computer; does this board not allow that currently or something?

I've played thru MI1 using the CD version... and as that version had music on the cd, there's no music when u run it on the GP32. however according to the scummvm documentation, the music in MI1 doesn't want to loop, which can be really irritating when i tried playing it on my PC.
So in the end i found the best way was to find the CD version (eBay or Kazza etc)... no music but the sound works and you get a MI2 style scummbar (that thing at the bottom of the screen, not the grog disributuion center ;) ) with pictures rather than words, which is very usefull on the GP32's small screen.

Well, Loom has an EGA ver and a VGA ver... the VGA one will work without sound as it used CD audio (hopefully we'll be able to use MP3s in the future, but not yet), and the EGA one (to my knowledge) gets thrown in with all the other ega scumm games - its yet to work.

Currently, the GP32 port of SCUMMvm is unable to run both the MIDI sound server and ADLIB sound server at the same time - so it would be wither music or sound effects for a game that supports the components separately.

As for Loom, the original floppy disk version uses version 3 of the SCUMM engine, and is totally unsupported. the CD version uses version 5, and reads voice data (and voice data only) from an audio track on the CD. To confuse matters, there was a floppy disk version of the CD version, which is different to the original disk version.

I haven't had a chance to try Loom on the gp32, but the CD is used ONLY for voices, which isn't a huge loss.

--jo "directhex" shields

greetings,

i rarely post to message boards, but i notied this topic and thought i should say some things about gpscumm.
as you have prolly already seen in the rumors corner, i've passed the sources to a devr from the scummvm R.E. team, who owns a gp32 and was interested in fixing that sound glitches. he will also commit to the CVS after getting the gp version up to date with the current project status. he already found an ugly major bug in the port so i hope this will fix many strange side effects and mysteries ;)
we still have to find out wether the sound glitches are caused due to bug in the port or not enouph processor speed needed for the c++ midi implementation to render the music. after the source gets commited
to the cvs tree, you will be able to help solve this issue anyway ;))
we will also fix that annoying too-long-filename-game-save problem for the next release.
until then i will try to come up with quick patch that would fix the problem..
i also hope that simon will be working in the next release, after we find why it crashes and that there will
be support for mp3, even tho i don't think mp3 and midi will be working together. either the one or the other.
i can imagine halting the music while the characters speak. dunno if that will be annoying. have to try :)

comments and questions are welcomed.

regards,
ph0x

Thanks for all the information guys! (And thanks for the program ph0x!)

As I said in your guest book, I'd be willing to pay you!

:D

Back