Screen Too Bright!

If the backlight could be turned off or lowered in brightness, then I think you might see much better battery life. I'm pretty sure it's one of the top power drainers in portable devices. It'd be nice if it was adjustable like in most smartphones. Maybe in the next firmware release (it can be done in software for phones).

If the backlight could be turned off or lowered in brightness, then I think you might see much better battery life. I'm pretty sure it's one of the top power drainers in portable devices. It'd be nice if it was adjustable like in most smartphones. Maybe in the next firmware release (it can be done in software for phones).

Most portables but not this one with all the computer processing it is doing. They are LEDs, not Cold Cathode or anything, they do draw but I forget how much, it wasn't a terrible amount though.

Do a search through Squidges posts for his professional bench-test of the GP2X with the light on and off. (click on his name, then the "Profile Options" drop-down menu has the option "Find member's posts".)

Last edited by a moderator:
The GP32 BLU has a tinted screen protector to save your eyes from the harsh light the lcds give off. If you have a MkII you could try applying a sticky-back film to the screen protector or even make a tinted replacement.
The original screens may benefit too but I suspect they will appear even fuzzier than they do already.
The BLU units use a yellow tint. I guess there is a reason for the colour used, so some experimentation would be in order. Since white appears white through the filter the screens must be emitting a higher proportion of blue light on the GP32 BLU.

True..blue light is exceptionally harsh on your eyes, possibly causing complications later on. That's why our lens get naturally tinted yellow as we age.
No, the BLU stands for Back Lit Unit. Not Blue LEDs.
And how, exactly, did you manage to misunderstand what was said to come up with that moronic observation ?
Also he is saying that LCD's give off harsh light, a technical untruth, a LCD can only give off the light coming out of its backlight.
So 'a LCD can only give off the light' is somehow fundamentally different than saying 'light the lcds give off' because I didn't explain where the light it gives off originates ?

why are you being so offensive? His post might have been smart assed but not agressive like yours, jabberwocky.

Does anyone else think the screen is sooooo bright? It actually hurts my eyes to look at it. It wasnt like this in FW1.2 . An awful lot of color quality is lost due to the brightness. Does anyone know of a hack to sort this of possible fix in the next FW?

If you think that's bad, then, I don't suggest you play NDS lite on the max brightness level.

What we need is a non-linear gamma adjustment that pulls up darker values, re-distributes the in-betweens, and leaves the lighter values unchanged.

The gamma-adjustment is non linear.
The MMSP2 let's you set your own gamma-table .. so you can do anything you want with the picture. The used function looks like this: f(i,gamma) = 255.0*(i/255)^(1/gamma) i is {0,1,2...255} and gamma is {0.001 ... inf}
The normal setting is gamma = 1, so you get a linear funktion .... if gamma is greater 1 your picture becommes brighter and if gamma is smaller 1 you get a darker picture BUT a black picture will be black and a white will be white in all the three cases, because this doesn't depend on the exponent.

There are simple registers to adjust the brightness, saturation and contrast of a picture ... you don't have to set a table for this ... if you want, i could implement this funktions as well.
The bad thing is, i didn't find anything about controlling the backlight ... with the exception of shutting down the whole thing.

why are you being so offensive? His post might have been smart assed but not agressive like yours, jabberwocky.
I apologise. I just found his inventing the subject of blue LED's to belittle Loubear and make himself look smart unnecessary.
I am sorry if I was wrong, the intent was not to belittle Loubear (to be fair he IS little, and my ego aside I am not malicous), it seemed to me that he claimed Blue Light was coming from the LEDs, I thought they were right, that is all that happened.

I did not invent the subject of blue LEDs, I merely missed what Mr.Jabberwocky said about the screens emitting blue light from the white LEDs, I retract my comment.

The GP32 BLU has a tinted screen protector to save your eyes from the harsh light the lcds give off. If you have a MkII you could try applying a sticky-back film to the screen protector or even make a tinted replacement.
The original screens may benefit too but I suspect they will appear even fuzzier than they do already.
The BLU units use a yellow tint. I guess there is a reason for the colour used, so some experimentation would be in order. Since white appears white through the filter the screens must be emitting a higher proportion of blue light on the GP32 BLU.

True..blue light is exceptionally harsh on your eyes, possibly causing complications later on. That's why our lens get naturally tinted yellow as we age.

I need to cut back on the ego trips and the aforementioned Loubear who claims that:

A. he has "a Four-Inch Penis" in his Sig
B. he is a minor (12-14 Can't recall which.)

needs to stop posting sexual material on the net, none of us are perfect, I find Loubear offensive when he posts such things, but I realize he is young and possibly foolish.

Thanks for the correction.

Edit: see that I have edited my post above,

Also I only mention the LCD backlight because I have built a projector out of an LCD monitor by discarding the backlight and using an overhead projector with a halogen bulb, thus completely removing the "harsh light that LCD's give off" and replacing it with much yellower light, I suppose he meant in general, I was merely pointing out that the light is a thing that can be modified, I forgot to put those thoughts in my post.

Back