Screen Brightness

Prothall

The screen on the MKII models is pretty bright. It's not bothering me in games, but it's starting to get to me when watching videos. I recently installed the latest firmware from the archive (the one with the blue menus), and even its supposed brightness settings do nothing (I think Contrast actually controls brightness, and I think Brightness controls brightness/contrast.). I also think, though I need to actually confirm it with a decent audio sample, that my audio channels are reversed.

I assume someone else has been sufficiently annoyed by these that they've developed a workaround, but I haven't heard about it. Am I missing something?

Prothall posted on Feb 24 2007 at 09:53 PM said:
The screen on the MKII models is pretty bright. It's not bothering me in games, but it's starting to get to me when watching videos. I recently installed the latest firmware from the archive (the one with the blue menus), and even its supposed brightness settings do nothing (I think Contrast actually controls brightness, and I think Brightness controls brightness/contrast.). I also think, though I need to actually confirm it with a decent audio sample, that my audio channels are reversed.

I assume someone else has been sufficiently annoyed by these that they've developed a workaround, but I haven't heard about it. Am I missing something?

Well actually I've noticed that the colors are cranked up too so I'm deving a color correction test to stop making it look cranked up and then a daemon to always keep it to the desired settings. But yeah, I rarely heard anyone complaining about it, it's like I was the first one to care about it, but notice that most people are happy with LCD's that crank up the saturation, contrast and high frequency image components, and sound systems with ridiculously loud basses and trebles, as I'm the one who wants to calibrate anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah mine seems kinda bright. I'll try that color correction thing whenever you get it finished A_SN.

A_SN posted on Feb 25 2007 at 02:16 PM said:
it's like I was the first one to care about it, but notice that most people are happy with LCD's that crank up the saturation, contrast and high frequency image components
No no, I for one liked the GP32 Blu+'s natural LCD. The GP2X (MK2) screen is a bit exaggerated, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't do a decent job. It bothered me at first, but then I got used to it. It's not that bad, but of course I'd be willing to correct it if the opportunity to do so would arise.

- Alex

Alex. posted on Feb 25 2007 at 09:29 PM said:
it's like I was the first one to care about it, but notice that most people are happy with LCD's that crank up the saturation, contrast and high frequency image components
No no, I for one liked the GP32 Blu+'s natural LCD. The GP2X (MK2) screen is a bit exaggerated, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't do a decent job. It bothered me at first, but then I got used to it. It's not that bad, but of course I'd be willing to correct it if the opportunity to do so would arise.

- Alex

I'm not saying the GP2X's LCD is THAT bad, I'm just saying that when it comes to LCD's most people are fine with that badness.

I find that when I am playing in low light conditions I find that the screen is far to bright a dazzles me. I have also heard that it is bad for your eyes to look at something that is drastically different in brightness to the background. Cant wait till you release the color correction test A_SN.

Alex. posted on Feb 25 2007 at 08:29 PM said:

- Alex

I thought the BLU+ screen was way too dim and washed out though. The black levels were bad (more like a medium grey) and the colors were faded. I *hate* bad black levels in LCDs that make the screen grey when it is supposed to be near black. It is almost the opposite of the GP2X.

On the GP2X M2 the contrast is a bit too high as you loose some darks at some angles, and it seems to clip some lighter colors. It does have alot more "pop" and makes many arcade games in MAME look good though. So while not perfect I will take it over the older washed out look.

It would be nice to have a non-linear "color EQ" to be able to play with the gamma at the high and low ends.

Back