Screen Size

Kloplop321 said:
Ha! at the "Screen size 8-9":"
so much for speakers lol.
And any moding space, Say Bye bye to any and all mods that do not require a new case.

Last edited by a moderator:
@tag
everyone who has an ipod has to do it, it's not that much of a hassle. but i agree that it is unrealistic and I am happy with the current model. The sooner, the better.

yeah, and they can't really use a higher resolution, or the price will go up HUGE! plus, it would look less high def like that if it was stretched out.

Tasty looking mockups, I must admit. But they don't really fit with what Pandora is supposed to be about. If I recall correctly, Craig said they were originally looking for a 640x480 screen (for best emulation results). These were in short supply, so 800x480 it was.

A bigger screen @ 800x480 is going to have bigger pixels, and won't be as sexy. Going to a different resolution could mean that emulation of older systems doesn't look as good. I think it's fair to say that the current screen is perfect.

i love the look of the slightly larger screen, and i would be willing to sacrifice the speakers for it, but im not sure about a big hit on battery life...
anyone know the specific brand and model number of the lcd? maybe that company makes similar lcds of differing sizes. if its the same brand its at least a little possible it would use the same controler chip/drivers.

The size the pandora screen is at is the line between expensive and cheap- like 19" monitors, you get any bigger and they start costing ALOT more.
This stuff just isn't practical, guys.

Why not get a 7" Eee PC LCD screen and put it in the Pandora? They're 800x480 aren't they? All you lose is the speakers, a touch screen,and a lot of battery life. :p

Introducing the Pandora 9inch: :D

Seriously though, it would be really cool if someone did do a screen mod.

From what I remember the current Pandora screens were a "good deal" I doubt the screen will change. The current LCD looks quite gorgeous in image quality anyway. If you want bigger, you have TV out :p

LittleTodds said:
Why not get a 7" Eee PC LCD screen and put it in the Pandora? They're 800x480 aren't they? All you lose is the speakers, a touch screen,and a lot of battery life. :p

Introducing the Pandora 9inch: :D

Seriously though, it would be really cool if someone did do a screen mod.

Impossible. Both most likely use different digital signals, which means you would have build and program a reencoder, which would kill the possibility of fitting it all in the pandora, making you lose the pocketability

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like everyone is ignoring the one huge problem with all of this...

The Pandora has a touchscreen. The PS1 screen / Eee PC Screen / etc - non of them are touchscreen. So either the mods would lose a vital input method (and the speakers) or would be far more involved & expensive than you seem to be implying.

Of course, I would like a higher res 6.5" touchscreen - but I don't see that happening. And I don't want the Pandora to go up in price or be delayed any more than it already is.

I would rather not have any more delays or problems that Chad spoke of just for a larger screen, plus it seems like a stupid idea when you see the losses and prices. LCD's cost more than magnetic speakers.

the only even remotely possible way i can see such a pandora being sold would be if its VERY popular, and craigix finds a good supply of larger screens. even if it does happen, it wont be for quite a while. so, im thinking of this more as a possibility of a mod than a different pandora version.

Back