Homebrew Pandora Mock-up

SteveM said:
Finally got the colour version made:

mockup2.jpg

I took fusion_power's advice and built it around a cardboard core which not only stiffens the whole thing up but also gives you something solid to glue onto.

As for the hinge, the paper tabs just don't cut it. I instead rolled up a paper tube that's an interference fit with the curved bits and fed that through both parts to join them together. Works pretty well.
Wow, loks very good, does the hinge work? :) My Mockup has no real hinge, just a piece of Gaffa-Tape to hold the Lid and the case together. :lol: And my Pandora is white to save Printer-Ink. :D

@ Fishbong: auch Bernd Fan? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
fusion_power said:
Wow, loks very good, does the hinge work? :)
Thanks! The hinge works surprisingly well. Basically there are two U-shaped loops on the main body and one long one along the bottom of the screen. A rolled-up piece of paper runs the whole length of the model through all three of these loops. If you don't glue the roll shut, it will try to unravel itself. The resulting spring-like effect holds the screen in place quite effectively.

hey, is this mockup realy 1:1?

cause the display is kind of tiny?!? :(

nice effort SteveM but seriously i cant believe this is what we're reduced to.

pre-orders are supposedly in just over 1 weeks time and we're still drooling over mockups made out of fucking cardboard.

gibberish said:

pre-orders are supposedly in just over 1 weeks time and we're still drooling over mockups made out of fucking cardboard.
A week is over 600,000 seconds!

Flat said:
hey, is this mockup realy 1:1?

cause the display is kind of tiny?!? :(
I haven't built this mockup here but you can measure and compare the paper Display. Pandora wiki says:

"Dimensions: 93.6 x 56.2 mm (4.3 inches, 5:3 aspect ratio)"

gibberish said:

Preorders may be in a week, but shipments aren't til the end of November.

On a side note, I am almost finished with my papercraft Pandora, but I'm not sure how the hinge is supposed to work.. =\ How do you finish the hinge?

Clean3d said:
MeleeRay said:
On a side note, I am almost finished with my papercraft Pandora, but I'm not sure how the hinge is supposed to work.. =\ How do you finish the hinge?
I put a plastic drinking straw in mine. Worked pretty well :)

http://clean3d.wordpress.com/2008/09/23/yo...-of-a-fan-when/

http://clean3d.blenderge.com/PandoraSC.png

Sweetness. I put a pen inside mine that just happened to be the exact length. Only problem is the crinkles in the entire thing. It was just so aggrivating gluing the entire thing together. =P

MeleeRay said:
gibberish said:

Preorders may be in a week, but shipments aren't til the end of November.

Or even longer...

Of to McDonalds in search of a drinking straw!

yeah, why why why on earth would you pulls this up again?

joa said:
For the many people who didn't see it first time around? Or had forgotten it existed? Sorry, getting a bit excited that Pandoras may actually be released upon the world and was pleasantly surprised when Mali (IIRC) dug this thread out for me.

Monk said:
joa said:
For the many people who didn't see it first time around? Or had forgotten it existed? Sorry, getting a bit excited that Pandoras may actually be released upon the world and was pleasantly surprised when Mali (IIRC) dug this thread out for me.

mhm, i missed it & had been wondering where the papercraft printouts were. I'm giddy with pre-launch excitement & I've got a snow day, so this is much appreciated, lol

Back