A Few Questions About Tv-out/emulator Quality On Gp2x

MachRider

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hello,
I'm considering buying this new F-200 GP2X, but I would like to have some honest answers regarding it's performance. I'm mainly interested in emulators and video playback.

- The quality of TV-out? I've heard about striping, flickering etc... Can I plug gp2x into TV and play c64, SNES, whatever in the same quality as on portable screen? The qualit of divx movies with tv-out?

- Amiga, SNES, AtariST emulation? I know 8bits and most 16bit machines are excellently emulated, but those three prove to be inadequate on every platform I tried except PC. How does gp2x perform there?
(for example, I tried Amiga and SNES emulation on PSP, and to be honest, it sucks - too slow, mostly unplayable.)

- Any non-entertainment software (linux ports etc.) that's wort to mention? PIM, word processors etc... especially when using mouse/keyboard with the cradle, since I don't suppose touchscreen apps yet exist.

Any other issues you would like to mention... please do, and thanks in advance. :)

First & fore-most, no one here owns a f-200 yet. Maybe the distributors got to play with it but they cant release information on it. But the f-100 & f-200 are still the same product, only f-200 has a touch screen & the joystick replaced with a directional.

MachRider said:
Hello,
I'm considering buying this new F-200 GP2X, but I would like to have some honest answers regarding it's performance. I'm mainly interested in emulators and video playback.
Emulators , depending on what console is being emulated. 2D games have more advantage over the GP2X since its 2DAccelerated . It does play 3D games but very mininal. Video playback, Xvid comes straight out of the box. Quality is far superior than psp/wii mpeg4 or 360 wmv playback.

- The quality of TV-out? I've heard about striping, flickering etc... Can I plug gp2x into TV and play c64, SNES, whatever in the same quality as on portable screen? The qualit of divx movies with tv-out?

Ive never seen flickering. Striping can be fixed with a TV out app found in the archives . Xvid/Emu quality is far superior on CRT TV's than HD (everything looks blocky).

- Amiga, SNES, AtariST emulation? I know 8bits and most 16bit machines are excellently emulated, but those three prove to be inadequate on every platform I tried except PC. How does gp2x perform there?
(for example, I tried Amiga and SNES emulation on PSP, and to be honest, it sucks - too slow, mostly unplayable.)

SNES emulation does ok, games that use the FX chip (I think its called FX) will go slow. Check out youtube for vids on emulators.

- Any non-entertainment software (linux ports etc.) that's wort to mention? PIM, word processors etc... especially when using mouse/keyboard with the cradle, since I don't suppose touchscreen apps yet exist.

check the archives

Last edited by a moderator:
TV-Out work pretty good on my HD-tv then again it is no HD output it generates..

The TV out in overall is pretty good, especially if you own a CRT TV.
And what Cervante sais is true, nobody tested the F-200 because it isnt released yet.

So if you want to buy someting pretty quick and good, just buy the GP2X F-100.
With a BOB so you can connect your controllers to it... if the emu supports it, it is pretty cool!

:)

MachRider said:
Here's a video of the gp2x hooked up to a TV. Also note that a lot of other videos about the gp2x were recorded using the tv-out and not through an emulator on a pc.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hRaL9-BrzUg

...and yes. emulators on the gp2x rocks. drag and drop to your SD card.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have problems with overscan when using the tvout...other than that it looks great. Wish I knew how to fix the overscan issue. Maybe it's just my crappy TV...

Back