Scale 1:1 "paper-mache" Pandora

cosurgi

http://janek.kozicki.pl/
Website
janek.kozicki.pl
The discussion about keyboard layout led me to conclusion, that we need a SCALE 1:1 model of Pandora for testing the keyboard usability. If you want to participate in that discussion (or if you just want a model of Pandora), please download this .pdf file and print it without scaling. Then you will have a scale 1:1 model.

You can IMPROVE this paper-mache! It's a very quick'n'dirty cut'n'paste job using GIMP unperspective tool (from renders) and openoffice. You only need to download the openoffice 2.0 drawing and edit it!

Here's how my brand new paper Pandora looks like:

paper-mache-pandora.jpg

Look at this size. Now think how easy/difficult it may be pressing multiple buttons simulataneously. Try pressing three of them :)

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: :lol: It's getting funnier in here. Big points for the effort you've gone to, and for sharing the files.

It actually has been done already (by the devs), it was made to evaluate the control layout and overall feel. There's a vid on Youtube.

Gruso said:
:lol: :lol: It's getting funnier in here. Big points for the effort you've gone to, and for sharing the files.

It actually has been done already (by the devs), it was made to evaluate the control layout and overall feel. There's a vid on Youtube.
It's a Pandora Cargo Cult! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult

An isolated society's first contact with the outside world can be a shock—often the natives first will assume that the newcomers are spiritual beings of some kind who possess divine powers...

With time, however, it will inevitably become apparent that the outsiders are mortal, that their power comes from their equipment (or cargo), and that they are not sharing the materials with the natives...

Cargo cults tend to appear among people who covet this desired equipment but are unable to obtain it easily through trade or established traditions. Given their relative isolation, the cult participants generally have little knowledge of modern manufacturing and are liable to be skeptical about Western explanations...

Famous examples of cargo cult activity include the setting up of mock airstrips, airports, offices, and dining rooms, as well as the fetishization and attempted construction of Western goods, such as radios made of coconuts and straw.

This truly explains the renewed abundance of nerd-angst this past month. ;)

1. Get a girlfriend :p
2. If you already have a girlfriend/wife, get a mistress ;)

Seriously, that is actually pretty cool - any diversion while we patiently wait can't be a bad thing, can it? :)

yeah, I made bottom to have the total height. While LCD has no height at all. You are welcome to correct this :) Just edit that openoffice file, and post it here.

I also hava a Paper-model since a while. It's based onto the old Design and it has a stable core made out of some layers of Corrugated fiberboard so the case has the right thickness. It's not a beauty at all but very useful to get a feeling of the Device. And if the devs round some corners onto the real Handheld, it will lay very well into the Hands.

Okay okay, but does it run HL2, Crysis, and PS2 Emus at full speed ?

cosurgi said:
wife and three daughters (3months, 2years, 4years) :)
And you still have time for making paper models! Respect where respect is due!!

Kyosys said:
but it has no bluetooth LED!
<hands Kyosys a blue pen> Now you can do a mod to add it. :D

More on-topic, thanks for posting this cosurgi. Alas, I have no printer, so I'll have to wait until I can borrow someone else's to make one of these (and some of the other papercraft items I want to make). :lol:

Here is what it looks like when compared to the devices it replaces (yes, I do have a gadget problem.)

pic.jpg

Canguy said:
Here is what it looks like when compared to the devices it replaces (yes, I do have a gadget problem.)

Removed very large picture from quote, As we don`t really need it twice, Just thinking of those still on dial-up. By Trooper
I just I must have one too, since I had (until recently) an N800, and I have a PSP. What is that other device?

Back