Say That Op Were Bought Out?

Have you seen the consoles that Sega put their name to lately, God Ginrai? :lol:

Prometheus said:
Have you seen the consoles that Sega put their name to lately, God Ginrai? :lol:

That's why I said only if that were part of a big plan to fix what they fucked up. I know that Sega has been making tons of mistakes ever since they pulled out of the hardware business. I'm hoping that sometime soon they will realize their mistake and do an about face.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Aninhumer said:
And if they ever do stop making what we want, the much richer original team could design a new product, and thanks to the OS being relatively standard Linux most stuff will work without porting.

Usually such deals include clauses that prevent the team being bought out from competing in the same arena again for a considerable period - say, 10 years.

I also think that the Pandora has potential beyond a few thousand users - as do the OpenPandora team, I believe.

God Ginrai said:
Prometheus said:

That's why I said only if that were part of a big plan to fix what they fucked up. I know that Sega has been making tons of mistakes ever since they pulled out of the hardware business. I'm hoping that sometime soon they will realize their mistake and do an about face.

-God Ginrai

+1

An OpenPandora and Sega cooperation would be amazing. People still trust Sega, and they could still sell millions of anything if they were back on form.

God Ginrai said:
Prometheus said:
They're "Sega" in name only. It's not likely.

You can't fault me for hoping. :(

-God Ginrai

Don't feel bad about it. There are more floating Sega supporters than it seems. I think proper Sega fans are some of the most hardcore ever created - I think because the process was interactive (Sega themselves were hardcore).

They've just become a franchise machine now. But I bet you a lot of people inside the company want it like the old days. Sega was always about risk, never playing it safe.

God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai
Well, I'm no fan of them, myself, so you could perhaps call me indifferent. :p I got stung by their tat, before - never again. :p I can only hope that they never get the chance to pollute the Pandora.

SomeGuy99 said:
God Ginrai said:
Prometheus said:
They're "Sega" in name only. It's not likely.

-God Ginrai

Don't feel bad about it. There are more floating Sega supporters than it seems. I think proper Sega fans are some of the most hardcore ever created - I think because the process was interactive (Sega themselves were hardcore).

They've just become a franchise machine now. But I bet you a lot of people inside the company want it like the old days. Sega was always about risk, never playing it safe.

Yea, Sega was such an innovative company, always trying new things. It all started going downhill with Sonic on the Dreamcast, and their games in general after the DC. I look at Sonic 4 as being Sega's attempt to move back in the direction of the old days. Obviously it is no triumphant return, but we can't expect them to just be able to snap their fingers and be a great company again, unlike Nintendo who can snap their fingers and become a shitty company in an instant.

EDIT: Prometheus, they are much better than the others in the Big 4. Microsoft is, well, Microsoft. Sony is a brand-whore who would take everything about the Pandora and make it closed. (Dual Memory stick Slots... -_-) And Nintendo has become infatuated with selling shovelware to the casual gamer.

To Tell you the truth, I probably would be more interested in Treasure buying OpenPandora than any other company.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
To Tell you the truth, I probably would be more interested in Treasure buying OpenPandora than any other company.

-God Ginrai

Aren't Treasure a tiny team though?

I think Sega still has ambitions, they just don't have the cash for them. Or at least, the management now won't let them risk countless millions and make a repeat of the Dreamcast (in business terms - they got so much right for gamers).

Nintendo went from being nearly forgotten about to raking in cash like the Nes days, but they had the capital to take that risk. I have a feeling Sega are taking notes, and wishing they had enough money in the bank.

God Ginrai said:
And Nintendo has become infatuated with selling shovelware to the casual gamer.
There is no such thing as a "casual" gamer. There are gamers, that is all. I've said it before and I'll say it again: "Casual" is a little-used industryite label that is actually meant as a synonym for "retarded", and often used because there is nowhere near enough understanding of why it is and what it is that makes these games sell. :p

(Myself, I've had more fun out of the Wii than anything else in the last fifteen years, with the sole exception of the DS, myself. They've done a superb job of producing excellent arcade-style games, things which have sorely been lacking, and long may it continue. Indeed, it seems that the market agrees, so it's all good. :D I can barely remember the time when I was buying almost no games, now!)

But hey, plenty of choices, so all is well. :)

Prometheus said:
There is no such thing as a "casual" gamer. There are gamers, that is all. I've said it before and I'll say it again: "Casual" is a little-used industryite label that is actually meant as a synonym for "retarded", and often used because there is nowhere near enough understanding of why it is and what it is that makes these games sell. :p

Do I spot a Maelstrom reader? :)

Malstrom. ;) He dislikes deliberate misspellings of his name, remember?

Yes, but also no. I had these views long before I was (quite recently) pointed to that blog.

Prometheus said:
Malstrom. ;) He dislikes deliberate misspellings of his name, remember?

Yes, but also no. I had these views long before I was (quite recently) pointed to that blog.

Same. It's always nice to see someone else articulate so well your own misgivings.

I think someone here linked me to the blog originally, was it you?

I've linked to it a few times before, so that's possible. Doesn't that make this little snippet of the conversation a bit circular somehow? :lol:

Prometheus said:
I've linked to it a few times before, so that's possible. Doesn't that make this little snippet of the conversation a bit circular somehow? :lol:

Yeah. Blame my poor memory!

Link for everyone else:

http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/

Haha. Anyhow, my apologies for the off-topicness. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread! :lol:

SomeGuy99 said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai

Aren't Treasure a tiny team though?

Yes, but they have never gone wrong.

Prometheus said:
God Ginrai said:
And Nintendo has become infatuated with selling shovelware to the casual gamer.

(Myself, I've had more fun out of the Wii than anything else in the last fifteen years, with the sole exception of the DS, myself. They've done a superb job of producing excellent arcade-style games, things which have sorely been lacking, and long may it continue. Indeed, it seems that the market agrees, so it's all good. :D I can barely remember the time when I was buying almost no games, now!)

But hey, plenty of choices, so all is well. :)

I'm sorry, but things like "Driver's Ed Portable" and "Carnival Games" are utter shovelware and should not exist out of those SoCs for people who don't play many games. If you want me to say it's for the retarded gamer, then I will, because I believe that anyone who would shell out for something with so little effort put into making it is a retard. I'm not a fan of games that are made "to make a quick buck", nor am I fond of the companies who engage in the creation of such games.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:

I mean, do they really have buyout type money?

God Ginrai said:
utter shovelware and should not exist

You do have a point, but this is third party stuff. Whatever happened to the Nintendo Seal of Quality? The whole point of the Nes, and game licencing was to filter out rubbish (according to Nintendo). I guess in the end it was just an approval process to ensure third party games didn't have serious bugs.

SomeGuy99 said:
God Ginrai said:

I mean, do they really have buyout type money?

Prometheus said:
utter shovelware and should not exist

You do have a point, but this is third party stuff. Whatever happened to the Nintendo Seal of Quality? The whole point of the Nes, and game licencing was to filter out rubbish (according to Nintendo). I guess in the end it was just an approval process to ensure third party games didn't have serious bugs.

I don't know if Treasure has the buyout money. This is all hypothetical, so I didn't consider that point. Also, your second quote is attributed to Prometheus, who seems to have taken the complete opposite point; I think you deleted the wrong quote tag.

-God Ginrai

Back