Save States In Hu6280

Status
Not open for further replies.
DaveC said:
sam fisher said:
Im just displacing my anger at DaveC onto you. Vobob worked so hard and all he got was

DaveC: The sound is a load of shitty beeps, this thing is crap!
I never said that stop making up words and claiming that I said them just to be a drama queen.

I reported what was true which was some sounds were missing and others were wrong. It is a part of beta testing. If no one ever says anything then many times they will think "well no one said anything about sound, it must be perfect, no reason to bother improving it then". Or "well everyone is happy the way it is, no sense of wasting time improving then" I even donated for the emu and I don't use it.

BTW he isn't updating for any other system either. It seems he either got too busy to mess with it, and/or he didn't get the donations he expected. I remember him complaining about the lack of donations, as he said he wasn't motivated due to weak donations. Maybe if it was finished he would have got more donations. Catch 22 I suppose.

I paraphrased, but you came across as I said.

jbrodack said:
sam: is there any chance at all of him coming back to work on his emulator? the performance was just so much better than anything else it kind of sucks that it doesnt have more features such as the mentioned save states. His emu was one of the only gp2x related things I have donated to. It wasnt until playing his emu that i realized how cool the pc engine is.

anyway except for castlevania its still my pc engine emulator of choice cause it runs full speed without frameskip
I have asked him but hes totally vanished atm :S

Last edited by a moderator:
reportedjt3.png

:lol: ... haven't used it in awhile.

I don't want this thread to be closed just like that. This is an important issue and it should be discussed.

@Orkie: Yeah I realize that, I phrased it awkwardly overall as I was a little angered. That comment was meant to be for the people in this thread who brought up emulation vs. homebrew... I should have paragraphed that more neatly. I added my 2 cents to the conversation in the text above that part anyway.

Yeah baby, an honest-to-goodness flame war! :D :D :D

Bring it on! :ph34r:

@Orkie: I saw you did a little whining at me in this thread. Did I hurt your widdle feewings? Please, don't interrupt adults having a conversation. Once you've grown up enough to sit at the grown-ups table, then you can talk. For now, quietly chew on your rubber nipple.

@Alex and Don: Seriously, please lighten up. :angry:
Go back and *carefully re-read* what I posted. I'm not describing my attitude toward devs. I'm summarizing the community-wide feedback loop. Be honest - praise increases as an emulator is improved, then falls off when development stops short of a complete application. Seriously, why are you defending Vobbo? I am not attacking Vobbo. Furthermore, Vobbo doesn't need defending, but his work possibly does. HU6280 is incomplete, period. That doesn't make him a bad person, but it makes the emulator less than ideal. I guess the donators made an investment that didn't quite pay off. Boo-hoo, life goes on.

BTW, I did expect a bunch of stuff to be developed for free when I bought the :gp2x . That's why it's a...drumroll...homebrew handheld!

EDIT: Removed inappropriate language.

A_SN said:
We the regulars of #gp2xdev rock. The regulars of gp32x who are not regulars of #gp2xdev suck. It had to be said :)
:(

Some gp32x regulars may not want to go to a dev channel unless they're devving. It might make them (ie: me) feel like poseurs. :(

If I've ever been rude to a dev because of something they released I apologise. I can be a dick sometimes but I've always tried to show respect to the people who make this scene happen, and hopefully someday I'll stop being a lazy bastard and join their ranks.

Orkie said:
xnopasaranx said:
I think the everlasting whining of emu-fanatics vs. homebrew-fanatics is just lame. Have a look into the archive and tell me that there is too many emulator releases. That's BS. Almost everyone respected in this community is playing both emus and homebrew games.
This isn't a case of emulator addicts Vs. homebrew addicts, it's developers Vs. whiners. It is the whiners we have a problem with not the fact that there are emulators or people that use them.

The problem is you are so arrogant that everyone that doesn't agree with you or your choices is labled a "whiner". I have seen you scold me and others for having more "r0mz" on their cards than YOU think they should have. "do you need the whole set" "why don't you just put a few on at once.. blah blah". So everyone should be like you or do things the way you want or you will attack and flame every chance you get. You make decisions for everyone about what WILL be on *our* NAND memory and won't let us choose or change the programs in the Open2X thing. You could care less about what some of us will use or not as YOU are "the decider". If you want a text reader and terminal on the NAND on open2X that is what we get. Why? because you say so. Then you have the nerve to accuse others of wanting certain things. When you do it it is OK, when others do it they are "whiners". It is time to come off of your high horse and stop scolding others because they don't agree with you always.

A_SN said:
We the regulars of #gp2xdev rock. The regulars of gp32x who are not regulars of #gp2xdev suck. It had to be said :)
With one blanket statement everyone other than those on a dev channel "sucks". Don't be so full of yourself.

sam fisher said:
I paraphrased.
Stop "paraphrasing" you end up sounding like a drama queen.

Why do they do it? The Devs I mean .... why do they create emulators?

TelcoLou said:
To emulate.

@DaveC: For what my opinion is worth, you've contributed so much to this community that Orkie's nonsense isn't worth your reply.

@Orkie, Alex, and Don: You know when the real trouble begins? When limp-wristed twits like yourselves mouth off under the guise of defending someone else who neither wants nor needs your help. The devs don't really give a pint a snake-spit what I think.

So, guess what? It's your lucky day - you three can just relax and STFU! :D

vaustein said:
@DaveC: For what my opinion is worth, you've contributed so much to this community that Orkie's nonsense isn't worth your reply.

So, guess what? It's your lucky day - you three can just relax and STFU! :D
Orkie contributes alot more than me (I do have to give credit where credit is due) but he is, or comes across, to be very arrogant many times with the scolding and flaming. His whining about whiners is as bad as the whiners whining.

I thought the "fix it now" thing was a bit much too but whatever. Who am I to judge.

All right, enough, I will not let it end this way. I've been posting here for about a year now, and looking over names of people who've helped me with questions, I'd like to try to make this right.

@Orkie: You helped me with questions in the past. It was a mistake to treat you so harshly. Wanna be friends? :(

@Don and the other one: I don't know you guys, so no hard feelings. ;)

[EDIT] @DaveC: Please be careful with that quote - you make it look like I'm telling *you* to STFU, which isn't the case.

I find it hilarious you are deciding what "the devs want" and telling three of the devs that they are totyally wrong about what the devs want. I think you should leave this topic now, before you realise what an arse you are starting to look like.

DaveC said:
The problem is you are so arrogant that everyone that doesn't agree with you or your choices is labled a "whiner". I have seen you scold me and others for having more "r0mz" on their cards than YOU think they should have. "do you need the whole set" "why don't you just put a few on at once.. blah blah". So everyone should be like you or do things the way you want or you will attack and flame every chance you get. You make decisions for everyone about what WILL be on *our* NAND memory and won't let us choose or change the programs in the Open2X thing. You could care less about what some of us will use or not as YOU are "the decider". If you want a text reader and terminal on the NAND on open2X that is what we get. Why? because you say so. Then you have the nerve to accuse others of wanting certain things. When you do it it is OK, when others do it they are "whiners". It is time to come off of your high horse and stop scolding others because they don't agree with you always.
No, I have moaned about people having more ROM dumps than they could possibly use and still complaining about needing more space...

You have misunderstood the whole NAND thing with Open2x. You will be free to wipe whatever you want and add new things, but I will not support it. The reason for this is simple - if I spend a lot of time crafting a working system and then try and help people who go and mess it up, I'd never got anything new done. The user NAND had to go, not just for the built in applications which I know you don't want but because I needed more space for other things like a menu (unless everybody wants to use the serial prompt to do everything, I'm happy with that :D) due to the large amount of libraries I've tried to add so everybody can link dynamically.
Also, writing to the NAND is much more dangerous than you know. The NAND drivers are so flakey that every time you write to it, it brings your GP2X closer to an inevitable brick (it incorrectly marks good blocks as bad until there is not enough 'good' space left on the NAND to do anything else unless you use a program I wrote to totally blank the NAND, including the markers which clearly isn't a very desirable solution). This is why I have been recommending against downgrading from 3.0. Until this problem is solved or a viable workaround is developed, writing to the NAND under any circumstances is a bad idea.

I get irritated at you in particular because when you decide you want something, every time there is a link to it in a thread, you make your desire known very strongly. So strongly that very often, it comes off as being demanding, whether you mean it to or not. You used to complain about the PlayStation emulator being a waste of time and the developers should work on something more useful (which you have thankfully stopped now as far as I know) which also comes across as demanding. They wouldn't get such impressive results on another system purely because they wouldn't be so interested.
There is nothing wrong with expressing a desire, but it doesn't need to be repeated over and over. What's wrong with trying to get a sticky in the ideas forum with a list of systems that you feel could be better emulated?

A_SN is quite a sarcastic person, don't take everything he says literally ;).

Anyway, I don't hate you as such. I just hate the fact that you go around and issuing what seems to many people (including myself) to be demands in every possible thread. If you stop doing this and try and keep it contained (and are a little politer when offering criticism), I will stop telling you off :).

TelcoLou said:
Presumably because it's a challenge and they enjoy it (I've written a very simple emulator before and it is fun) but I know that most emulator authors (or anybody who's released stuff for that matter) don't like being told what to do ;).

vaustein said:
@Orkie: You helped me with questions in the past. It was a mistake to treat you so harshly. Wanna be friends? :(
If you will admit that the demanding attitude of several members here is having a negative effect, then yes :D.

This argument has been destined to come for a long time now, and people need to realise that if they aren't a little more careful with their words, there won't be any more emulators.

vaustein said:
@Orkie, Alex, and Don: You know when the real trouble begins? When limp-wristed twits like yourselves mouth off under the guise of defending someone else who neither wants nor needs your help. The devs don't really give a pint a snake-spit what I think.
Once you start contributing to the scene, you can start calling me "limp-wristed twit".
You just demonstrated the problem with, to quote Orkie, emulator addicts, quite brilliantly. People who don't code/port emulators aren't considered devs. Funnily, both Orkie *and* Alex are gp2x devs, I myself did a few gp32 releases, and at the moment I'm contributing to the gp2x scene (by doing a lot of music recently) without even owning one.
BTW: One of the reasons why I did not buy a gp2x (besides the obvious build quality flaws in the first batches) are people like you who don't accept homebrew games devs as real developers.

So, if you want to discuss on the same level as we do, start contributing.

sam fisher said:
I think you need to [****] off as i'm the only one who has vobbos email address, and has talked to him.
And how do you know that? Have you asked everyone? I'd have to say no, as your completely wrong in your assumption :D

But yes, Vobbo came, worked for ages on his emulator, got hardly any donations, and left unmotivated.

But to be honest, anyone who comes into the scene thinking they can get rich by creating or porting emulators should rethink there strategy. It's like setting up your own business - a complete risk. You may get lots of donations, or may get only get 1 or 2. Don't assume, or you'll only feel gutted.

My advice remains the same to all devvers: Code because you want to, not because you see $ signs in front of your eyes.

My advice remains the same to all devvers: Code because you want to, not because you see $ signs in front of your eyes.

It can also be a resume-enhancer. Many shareware and open source devs, level designers, and 3D modelers have attracted industrial notice and moved on to professional positions in their fields.

You know, looking over the last few posts, at least one thing has become apparent. Whether it reflects reality or not, many open source developers are like starving poets: very passionate about their work, sensitive about how their work is received, and always hoping to be noticed and appreciated by more people. Every artist who exhibits his work publicly wants an audience - very few retreat to a cave and share their art only with themselves.

It's paradoxical. Software development is clearly more engineering than art. And yet, like architects, there is an emphasis on design elegance and simplicity. "Elegant design is not when you add the last feature, but rather when you remove the last feature."

vaustein said:
It's paradoxical. Software development is clearly more engineering than art. And yet, like architects, there is an emphasis on design elegance and simplicity. "Elegant design is not when you add the last feature, but rather when you remove the last feature."
That's where you're wrong again. Game Design is pretty much all about art and design. So your "starving poet" analogy hits the nail on the head, homebrew games designers are sort of artists that live for feedback much more than for dollars.

vaustein said:
It can also be a resume-enhancer. Many shareware and open source devs, level designers, and 3D modelers have attracted industrial notice and moved on to professional positions in their fields.

You know, looking over the last few posts, at least one thing has become apparent. Whether it reflects reality or not, many open source developers are like starving poets: very passionate about their work, sensitive about how their work is received, and always hoping to be noticed and appreciated by more people. Every artist who exhibits his work publicly wants an audience - very few retreat to a cave and share their art only with themselves.

Vaustein, you really are a cock. I haven't seen such a massive proof of ignorance and immaturity on here for a long time. I always thought you were quite a decent guy. Too bad, I guess I was mistaken. In almost all of these posts in this thread you have also shown your total lack of arguments which you expressed by personally insulting, once your pitiful arguments failed. I can't see how people who contribute greatly to the community do not deserve a little respect and appreciation... you make it seem like it is sort of an egocentric self-empowerment act. Absolute BS. The people you have insulted here are a few of the very most elite coders in the handheld scene, like orkie and squidge for example. Go get yourself a piece of mind.

Vaustein, you really are a cock.

How Freudian. Something on your mind?

I always thought you were quite a decent guy. Too bad, I guess I was mistaken.

<choking back sobs>

The people you have insulted here are a few of the very most elite coders in the handheld scene, like orkie and squidge for example

Erm, reading above, I don't think Orkie feels insulted anymore, and so far as I can tell, Squidge never did feel insulted. BTW, your avatar pic looks like you're grunting and taking a huge dump. Appropriate ;)

[EDIT] @don: Why don't you feel more optimistic about 2x homebrew development? You disagree that it's on the upswing, but perhaps it really is. What do you think of some of the feedback in this other thread?

Orkie said:
and people need to realise that if they aren't a little more careful with their words, there won't be any more emulators.
orkie, i think you pretty much summed up the general feeling in this thread... of course, i can't help but completely disagree :D

people should be careful with their words because being a dick to someone you don't know is really stupid, regardless of whether or not you are protected by the indirectness of the communication medium. because they have manners and respect. not because they're afraid of being honest with specific people.

i think that most of the devs that have left just lost interest in whatever project they were working on. coding, especially emulator coding, can get very grueling, so it's more likely than not that someone is going to get burned out on it. i know the type because i AM the type...not a great coder but someone with that kind of focus (deep but often chaotic, very project-minded but often unmotivated).

i don't like the scapegoating i see happening in this thread...everyone here is pretty friendly, and there's always plenty of humor. no reason to get childish and uptight.

edit: there is one thing that i hate, and if i were in charge i'd ban for it. it's this:

"aNy N0o00zzzz???"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back