Sandisk 1gb Sd Card Misbehaving!

joek1

Still Fresh
hi, i recieved my GP2X a few days ago, and my 1GB SanDisk SD card arrived a few days later, but i have only just got round to testing it, now when i insert the SD card, and turn the unit on, first i get the black bootup screen, then it changes to the green, "loading" screen, and it gets no further, just hangs on the green screen! when i boot without the SD card in the machine, it boots fine to the yellow menu screen, and i can access all the menus, and i went thru the system tests, in settings, and it all works, but when i put the SD card in the machine, it all hangs, and i cant do anything anymore, it just sticks on the yellow menu screen, and the buttons or joystick do nothing! now using the sd card in my computer thru my 9 in 1 card reader it works fine, and i have no problem accessing files, or writing files. the card formatted into fat32 ok, and it seems faultless???
what gives????
is it a card problem, or machine problem! they both seem to work ok on there own, but they just dont work together!
it is the only sd card i own, so i cant do mutch with my GP2x yet. it wont USB link with my pc, because the comp wont recognise the GP2X without a SD card inserted!!!!
help
BTW the firmware version is 1.0.1
cheers
jon

I also have a sandisk card 256Mb and a 1 Gig card. The problem you state here sometimes happens to me too. I only saw it up till now with the 256Mb card...

When booting my unit sometimes hangs on the Loading screen... Turning the unit on/off has always solved the problem...

Have some of you the same problem at the loading screen ? I am using firmware 1.1.0.

I have a Kingston 1gb card and I have exactly the same problem

I am using firmware 1.1.0. and when booting my unit sometimes hangs on the Loading screen.

Same here, san disk 1GB utlra II.

Sometimes just hangs on startup.

I tried an old 16MB panasonic SD card to see what happens and had the same result. sometimes it would just hang on start up.

switch-off-on again always solved it.

the problem is not going away with a reeboot, it simply hangs all the time with the card in, and works fine without! i have reebooted about 50 times now with no joy?

Try reformating it to FAT32 (yes, i know you said it already was), as it sounds like a formatting problem. I don't put my SD card/s in until after it has booted because of some bootup bricking that has been reported on these forums (and supposedly stems from incorrectly formatted cards). When I put in my correctly formatted 1GB Kingston it functions fine, but when I insert my 2GB Sandisk ultra II which isn't formatted correctly (and won't let me format it) the gp2x freezes and I can't navigate the menu. I take it out and try to navigate the menu but it's still frozen.

side note: I am sending my 2GB card back because it is defective.

Firmware 1.0.1 sometimes hangs on the green screen. Mine used to do it all the time, now it only does it very infrequently.

still no joy, i have tried just about everything now, reformatted card normally, then tried formatting under control panel/admin tools/computer managment/disk managment! then i swapped my usb ports, still no joy! this is not good, i cant send it back, because it works perfectly on my computer! and i threw the packaging away!
any other ideas anyone
(i suppose last resort is go and buy another sd card and hope that one works, and then feed the sandisc one to my dog)!
cheers
jon

joek1...

When I've got the spare cash I'm going to buy an SD Card from the GP2X sales department. That way if the card doesn't work I can send it back to them (or get a GP2X replacement). Seems the best way not to waste money to me in the long run. ;)

I have a sandisk 1gb card and originally had 1.0.1 installed on my gp2x. My unit would hang at the green screen if I didn't wait to boot at least 10 full seconds after inserting the card while power was off. This seemed to solve the prob., kind of frustrating though. Haven't tested since upgrading to 1.2.0

Back