Samsung Galaxy Note 8

FaeMinx

Rainbow Liberation Instigation
I only found out about this late last night...

...and I have to say, I haven't been this excited about a device since I became an original CC Pandora pre-orderer years ago!   :D

Best news is it's going to be officially revealed end of this month (25th -29th Feb)!

http://www.android.gs/samsung-galaxy-note-8/http://www.android.gs/samsung-galaxy-note-8/

Apart from what is mentioned in that article, the estimated retail price will supposedly be under $300! Which is just fantastic!    :eek:

Find here a long ramble as to how and why I happened upon the Note 8:

So a couple of days ago the screen on my HTC Sensation crapped out (dead pixels all over the place). My two year contract is up in about 4 months, and I'm unsure as to whether or not I'm still under warranty... but needless to say I was somewhat peeved to say the least. 

My intention was to *not* renew my contract and stick with this phone a few more years - saving me a ton of money.

If I'm lucky enough to still be under warranty then no worries, but I have a strong suspicion my warranty was only for a year, not two.

So after resigning myself to the fact I may have to renew my contract or shell out a huge sum of money for a new phone soon, I realized there is only one contender - one option for my replacement phone - the Galaxy Note 2.

Why?

Well firstly, I'll be buggered if I'm going to make another large investment for something that's only comparable to what I've already had for two years... and from my perspective, all these minor incremental improvements in phones over the last couple of years haven't done much more than what my Sensation can already do.   ... except, of course, for the Note 2.

The Note 2 addresses everything that frustrated me in my Sensation (and then some).

Namely, my absolutely pathetic battery life - severely reducing the functionality of my phone when I'm out and about. I have to switch off wifi, only surf the internet when I absolutely have to, avoid all gaming, and turn off account sync otherwise it's very possible for my battery to be dead just past mid-day. (useless right?)

Then there's the ill-advised move of HTC to update my phone to ICS.... My phone managed just fine on Gingerbread... since the update, I dare not let my battery die otherwise my phone goes into a seemingly endless reboot loop.... My phone simply doesn't have the ram to load ICS and initialize the system apps if i have anything else installed.... every time it happens, I have to uninstall as much as I can, and use startup cleaner to block as many system apps as i think is safe, and sometimes even turn on airplane mode as well. It's always hit and miss as I only have a couple of minutes each time before it reboots. HIGHLY highly irritating.

And probably the biggest reason for me to consider the Note 2 over any other phone: I *hate* using my fingers. Drawing with them is just a joke - making all of these art apps for android pretty much pointless in my eyes. My HTC Sensation always felt like it was handicapped, and the only two phones I know of to address this terrible terrible flaw in capacitive screens are the Note 1 + 2.

The Note 1 only has 256 levels of pressure sensitivity.

The Note 2 has a stunning 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity - the same as my Wacom Cintiq 12wx.

So I did my research on the Note 2 - reading everything I could about it. 

I was already sold (as there were no other options), but I was disturbed by reports that every Note 2 suffers the 'Mura effect' on their samoled screens to some degree. That and the lifespan of amoled screens are significantly reduced compared to a normal LCD screen.

I was very happy with my qHD lcd screen on my sensation before it bombed on me.

My other concern was in spite of it having a huge 5.5 screen (for a phone), that i would find my creativity being stifled when it came to sketching/digital painting... I was worried that the screen may still be too small to do this enjoyably and effectively.

I regarded my Sensation again... If i used it simply as a 'phone', modem, and wifi hotspot (and emergency 8mp camera)... then it still functioned perfectly. The messed up screen bacame less of an issue.

So why get another phone?... why not... a tablet!? B)

(Now I must tell you that up untill this point I've been stearing clear of this whole tablet phenomenon... I told myself they were pointless if you already had a decent smartphone. I would only ever consider a tablet if it could function almost like a portable version of my Wacom Cintiq 12wx... allowing me to sketch digitally anytime anywhere).

So obviosly my only option here was the Note 10.1 ... I did some investigating...

...And felt somewhat luke-warm about it.

It seemed *too big* to carry with me everywhere...

...and it had an inferior soc + S Pen compared to the Note 2.

What should I do? Wait for the Note 3 with it's supposed 6.3 screen? Would *that* even be large enough? And it's sure to cost an arm and a leg...

...oh wait, what's this? An 8inch Note? That looks exactly like a Note 2? It has all the same internals!??? (lower mp cameras but who cares?) and an LCD screen ... Hell yes!!!   :D

What? coming in at under $300 to rival the iPad mini and Nexus 7? Omg Omg omg *nerdgasm!*    

So has anyone else heard any rumors? - Anyone as excited as I am?  ^_^    ... speculation?

This with an ICP2 looks to be an incredibly tasty proposition... I wonder if I'll receive my ICP2 before the Note 8 is available?  :rolleyes:

Looks like an exciting development in the Android Tablet market, if I didn't already own a Nexus 7 I'd be joining you in rubbing my hands in anticipation at picking up one of these bad boys.

I got a note 2, I can't reccommend it enough to anyone wanting a large cell phone/phablet.

I did this to my phone and I'm getting 4 days away from the charger, 8 hours of active use.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2082846&page=7

as far as to wait or go with something else... your choice entirely. But I find the size to be perfect and as about as big physically I can comfortably hold in one hand.

EDIT: on an added side note, just tried the included earbuds for the first time today on a whim.... and they are hands down the absolute best sound quality on any I've ever used. And the most comfortable without a doubt. but doesn't work in the pandora unfortunately 

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Indeed, the Note 2 is an excellent excellent device - pretty much ticks all the boxes for me (especially with an ICP2).

And in the course of my research I already did check out extended battery options. Mugen all the way! (you pay more, but you can depend on them).

Before this I was investigating options to extend the battery of my Sensation... now a moot point. (glad I didn't buy a dock and batteries from mugen yet)

I'm sure that if the Note 8 wasn't just over the horizon, I would be happy as pie with a Note 2.

My only *real* swaying factor is that just like I always dreamed about a device like the Pandora when I was a kid/teen...

... as a late teen/ early adult I dreamed about a powerful, lightweight all-in-one graphics tablet (a Cintiq 12wx that doesn't need another computer to use)

... after seeing the artwork that has been produced with the S Pen on a Note 2, and knowing the Note 8 is pretty much a supersized Note 2..

... the Note 8 appears to be that dream device. :) ... and it's so cheap!!    I spent about R14 000 on my Cintiq 12wx when I got it!

If I wasn't passionate about digital art (where the  larger your canvas the better), then for portability and versatility I would view the Note 2 as the superior device.

Alas, I can't afford both. :)

What has me really excited is the smart dock.... Now only if they can get them in stock at Samsung >.>

Similar to the dream device of your own, my dream device has always been a desktop replacement. Something I can literally take anywhere, plug in a monitor and keyboard if I want and have a desktop computing experience or take it with me always within fingers reach. All my files, and those not on my internal accessible anytime over the air.

The Pandora almost did that for me, got closer than I had gotten previously but lack of convienience for when I only need it for a few moments to look something up or jump on the net and send a message or something it is more of a round the house or at work solution (stationary) version of the same concept. Other opinions may differ, but that's mine.

Haven't gotten there yet, but I feel this one is closer than any before it. Smart dock + Ubuntu for android + note = heaven

I´m looking for a note 2 these days, too.

I share Faemix´s reasons for it.

Only problem is that, if not expensive already, it gets sold in Brazil for 2x that price at least. :(

My dad will probably renew his contract these days and I may get one for 350/400 dollars (like if it that wasn´t the original price... :unsure:  )

I have to see.

Smart dock + Ubuntu for android + note = heaven
Any idea how much longer we have to wait for Ubuntu? How will it work? - dual boot? Would love to have GIMP and inkscape on my Note 8. :)

Heck, I need it to make phone calls too.!
The Note 8 features an earpeace in leaked photos, just like the Note 2... So we very well may be able to use it like a phone!?! :huh:   There have been rumours... Wouldn't that just be epic? :lol:   

Totally epic it would be!

Me too looking for ubuntu release, same reasons.

I need a good portable ´cintiq´! :)  

The only bad is the delay on drawing, but I can live with that.

Anybody know when it will be officially announced & we'll get to know the specs/price point etc..?
 It's supposedly going to be announced with complete disclosure of all specs at the end of this month - the 25th - 29th.

EDIT: Only 15 days to go... feels like the countdown to Christmas when I was a kid. :)

The Galaxy Note 8 to be available in 3 variations:

http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles/7206/20130210/samsung-galaxy-note-8-0-three-variants.htm

Totally epic it would be!

Me too looking for ubuntu release, same reasons.

I need a good portable ´cintiq´! :)  

The only bad is the delay on drawing, but I can live with that.
There's a delay? That's somewhat upsetting. How do you know about this? 

Edit:

Some *epic* software to use one your Note 2 or Note 8:

http://www.tvpaint.com/v2/content/article/downloads/openbeta_link.php?id=4040&token=3c8db6610ca665b774914b2356a23f8d

Another VERY happy Note II owner here.  Samsung just bought a 5% share of Wacom, so that means they are pretty confident in the Note long-term, too.

About that video out...

What has me really excited is the smart dock.... Now only if they can get them in stock at Samsung >.> Similar to the dream device of your own, my dream device has always been a desktop replacement. Something I can literally take anywhere, plug in a monitor and keyboard if I want and have a desktop computing experience or take it with me always within fingers reach. All my files, and those not on my internal accessible anytime over the air. The Pandora almost did that for me, got closer than I had gotten previously but lack of convienience for when I only need it for a few moments to look something up or jump on the net and send a message or something it is more of a round the house or at work solution (stationary) version of the same concept. Other opinions may differ, but that's mine. Haven't gotten there yet, but I feel this one is closer than any before it. Smart dock + Ubuntu for android + note = heaven
I tried video-out with the Note 2.  It stank.  I mean it worked, but there was a pretty noticeable lag between what was happening on the phone's screen and what showed up on the TV screen (also tried it on a computer monitor).  The framerate is also pretty low, like half of what's on the phone screen.  I was pretty disappointed, as I was hoping to use the Note 2 + a PS3 controller for some big-screen gaming.  It was pretty unusable for this.  

I'm not sure if the smart dock will be different in this regard (I was very excited about it as well), but I suspect not.  Really is a shame, that was a killer feature for me before I tried it.   :(

What you will read in this post, is, really, my opinion. Because wermy says choice of OS depends on opinions and so it must have been a fact I posted. Whatever.

Hold your horses for a moment, you really want to get a crappy ANDROID device rather than the latest Win8 tablets which are almost all available with a digitizer? Compare the software, Android sucks!

Just wait a bit for prices to drop, that's what I'm doing. Samsung Ativ Smart PC, Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 and ASUS Vivo Tab and I think Dell is making one, too.

Hold your horses for a moment, you really want to get a crappy ANDROID device rather than the latest Win8 tablets which are almost all available with a digitizer? Compare the software, Android sucks!

Just wait a bit for prices to drop, that's what I'm doing. Samsung Ativ Smart PC, Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 and ASUS Vivo Tab and I think Dell is making one, too.
It really irks me when someone says categorically that something sucks, when it's totally a matter of opinion.  I wouldn't touch Windows 8 with an 8-foot pole, but I'm not going to sit here any say "Windows 8 sucks!" because I know it suits some people's needs just fine, they may prefer the interface, have reasons they need that platform, etc.

It really irks me when someone says categorically that something sucks, when it's totally a matter of opinion.  I wouldn't touch Windows 8 with an 8-foot pole, but I'm not going to sit here any say "Windows 8 sucks!" because I know it suits some people's needs just fine, they may prefer the interface, have reasons they need that platform, etc.
Poor little irked fella, let me add "IN MY OPINION". Waste of time +1

I am not impressed with the windows 8 rt software catalog so far.

If these are Intel based then that might be something else but with the power consumption and the heat generated I'd rather get an arm based tablet

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Poor little irked fella, let me add "IN MY OPINION". Waste of time +1
You sound far more irked than me.   ;)  You're the one that came into an Android-focused threat telling people to forget Android and go to Windows 8.

Back