Ryo For Guru! He Deserves It!

not an improvement but

gpgurulogo2xp3.png

(my gheto crazy gimp skillz) :D

Dark Leth posted on Aug 10 2006 at 08:46 PM said:
Of course, this would have nothing to do with the fact that you had a competing thread about stick replacements, no? <_<
It should be for people who are knowledgeable about the gp2x and/or gp32 and who share that knowledge on this forum.
:huh: We didn't have a competing thread about stick replacements as such - mine was a stick replacement, Radek's is about his diagonal coverter logic board (which still is not commercially available, BTW). Anyway, old news (thanks for stirring it up Dark Leth!).

My logic is that it is easy to get knowledge about what directions the pins on the joystick relate to (look at the supplier's web site for a .pdf); the rest of Radek's work is based around his knowledge of 8bit logic chips and nothing to do with the GP2x itself. This therefore falls into the same camp as my project for making a D-pad, or DaveC's joystick cap. Based on this logic, it is hard to see why either of them are Guru status - the joystick cap doesn't even need dismantling the case, does not require knowledge of the GP2x itself! They were made Guru because it was seen that they made a "milestone", and they were popular members, same way as a number of uber-emulator coders have been made Guru. With this in mind, it seems logical for either some Guru's to be re-classified into a separate category (as people have suggested - how about "uber coder" "coder - menus" "coder - emulators" "coder - applications" "general coder" "modder" "geek" "electronics wizard"), or Ryo to be part of this existing Guru status, to keep the status quo? Surely we can't have double standards?? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
bacteria posted on Aug 11 2006 at 10:16 AM said:
...Based on this logic, it is hard to see why either of them are Guru status - the joystick cap doesn't even need dismantling the case, does not require knowledge of the GP2x itself! They were made Guru because it was seen that they made a "milestone", and they were popular members, same way as a number of uber-emulator coders have been made Guru....
You've completely misunderstood my point. DaveC was not made a guru because of his cap, emu coders are not made gurus because of their emulators, and people are certainly not made gurus just because they are popular. They were made gurus because of all their contributions to the scene and this forum.

There are many gurus who have never written a single piece of software, never played around with any hardware, and yet they understand a lot about various gp2x/32 software from a users point of view. They give advice on limitations/problems with software that new users may not be aware of, they explain how to configure software, they provide bug reports and suggest ideas to coders. These are the true gurus in my opinion as they provide help and advice to all members of the forum. Coders like myself may know a lot about our own apps and how to develop, but most of us don't have the time to play with every piece of software that comes along and so most help we give is only for a small subset of the forum members.

Sorry for the bump, but I just e-mailed Hando, and Ryo is now (deservedly) a guru. Congratulations :)

meltbanana posted on Aug 11 2006 at 09:09 AM said:
Goemon4 posted on Aug 11 2006 at 02:32 AM said:
not an improvement but

gpgurulogo2xp3.png

(my gheto crazy gimp skillz) :D

Goemon4 for guru for his coder pic
what he said

How about something like this:

Xtremecodercopy.png

Xtremecoder3.png

Xtremecoder2.png