Ryo For Guru! He Deserves It!

T

TelcoLou

In fact, I just now sent a PM to Hando askling to revoke my (undeserved) guru status, and 'give' it to Ryo ... Best. Menu. EVER!!

PSyMastR posted on Aug 9 2006 at 09:32 PM said:
lou at how did you get that status anyway?

It's been like that since I resigned as a mod ... methinks Hando left it there as a sort of consolation prize for putting up with all your crap :lol:

(you=the forum as a whole)

BradN posted on Aug 9 2006 at 09:35 PM said:
Is there a screenshot somewhere?

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=30825

Last edited by a moderator:
TelcoLou posted on Aug 10 2006 at 12:43 AM said:
In fact, I just now sent a PM to Hando askling to revoke my (undeserved) guru status, and 'give' it to Ryo ... Best. Menu. EVER!!
He's as fast as vobbo with his coding!

sam fisher posted on Aug 9 2006 at 10:18 PM said:
TelcoLou posted on Aug 10 2006 at 12:43 AM said:
He's as fast as vobbo with his coding!

... and he impliments (some of) the community's suggestions! :blink: Unheard of!

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Aug 10 2006 at 03:25 AM said:
what happened to vobbo. I guess he isnt the "super-coder" anymore :(
He was on just the otherday. I am not sure what he is doing now. Maybe he needs mro edonations tomotivate him :D

I had been thinking of posting a topic in support for Ryo to be Guru - I was clearly beaten to it. I haven't used the application so far, I will do soon; but it clearly is an outstanding product which people want and will find useful. :D

@TelcoLou - I think you should remain Guru on the basis of your dedication in the past to moderating the Forum - you were harsh, but harsh to all (so fair!). ;) You continue to support the Forum with committment, so why not?

The only user I don't think should have Guru status is Radek - his mod will only be useful for a very small number of games (the rest of the games don't need it, I can assure you), to date it is not a commercial product and the D-pad he was using is clearly not fit for purpose (the D-pad is the only important part after all) and the circuit board is only designed (so far) for the MK1 and not the MK2. I don't think he deserves Guru status unless he has a commercial product which is accepted as being quality by the community - this was the basis that DaveC (as I recall) became Guru - and fair enough. If there are only a select number of Guru slots available, I suggest awarding it to Ryo and revoke it from Radek!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again - guru status should have nothing at all to do with applications, games, emulators, or hardware hacks (we need a seperate status for that and it's long overdue). It should be for people who are knowledgeable about the gp2x and/or gp32 and who share that knowledge on this forum (that's why your guru status is fully deserved TelcoLou). Ryo may have created a great menu, but that alone doesn't qualify him for guru status.

Yeah, I think there should be a separate title for people that release aplications that stand out like Ryo's menu replacement. Something Ultra Coder ... just something different.

Guru - is something that suggests a lot of knowledge. You could code a funky application for the gp2x, knowing relatively little about it.

But... Ryo should be given some sort of accoloade, since his menu does kick much ass.

When I saw this topic I was chocking with air...

woogal posted on Aug 10 2006 at 10:43 AM said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again - guru status should have nothing at all to do with applications, games, emulators, or hardware hacks (we need a seperate status for that and it's long overdue). It should be for people who are knowledgeable about the gp2x and/or gp32 and who share that knowledge on this forum (that's why your guru status is fully deserved TelcoLou). Ryo may have created a great menu, but that alone doesn't qualify him for guru status.

Guru status would be cool but I totally agree with you, I'm not qualified to be one.

Thanks to everyone supporting me anyway...

I agree completely after trying it out for a spell. Only thing it needs is to negate the need for making scripts yourself on your PC, or at least some sort of on-2X or PC application that lets you simply browse to the folders or search for new folders and make scripts based on that. But this is the wrong thread for talking about that, and it's already in the works as far as I understand, so yay!

Ryo for Guru/Awesomeness prize!

(also, I realised that I could add more tabs myself, which is rad!)

woogal posted on Aug 10 2006 at 09:43 AM said:
Agreed. It's an excellent menu, but it doesn't imply knowledge of the GP2X hardware or software any more than knowing how to write graphical applications. No offense meant to Ryo, of course, I applaud all the time and effort put into it. If there was some kind of contributor award, he'd deserve that totally.

There needs to be a "coder" status symbol or something, that way, if someone voices an opinion about code, one could quickly decide, whether he should be taken seriously. If Squidge says something about coding, I know he knows a thing or two. If, say, nickspoon says something, I have no idea if he has any knowledge on coding. :p

Thank you bacteria & woogal for your kind words. I still feel unworthy, as there are plenty of other people here that help far more than I can/do (and aren't cranky bastards :lol: )

bacteria posted on Aug 10 2006 at 02:36 AM said:
The only user I don't think should have Guru status is Radek - his mod will only be useful for a very small number of games (the rest of the games don't need it, I can assure you), to date it is not a commercial product and the D-pad he was using is clearly not fit for purpose (the D-pad is the only important part after all) and the circuit board is only designed (so far) for the MK1 and not the MK2. I don't think he deserves Guru status unless he has a commercial product which is accepted as being quality by the community - this was the basis that DaveC (as I recall) became Guru - and fair enough. If there are only a select number of Guru slots available, I suggest awarding it to Ryo and revoke it from Radek!!

Of course, this would have nothing to do with the fact that you had a competing thread about stick replacements, no? <_<

As for Ryu, I do think that he deserves at least some designation as a skilled coder, if not the Guru label.

Back