Running Quake W/o Pak1.pak

jmetal88

Erm.... Woohoo!
Website
mikesweb.exofire.net
This is so simple, I can't believe no-one's posted it yet (or maybe they have, but it's in a place I can't find or don't care to).

1. Make a copy of the file Pak0.pak from the shareware version of Quake.

2. Rename it Pak1.pak.

3. Put it in the proper directory on your SD.

It'll work. It did for me.

Hmm... wonder if a symlink would work too?

I'd try, but my GP2X has yet to arrive.

-OCA|

that would be sweet if it worked...

have you gotten past the shareware episode in the game? not bloody likely, methinks.

So you just duplicate pak0.pak and rename it to pak1.pak? How ingenious, yet simple!
Wish I thought of that!

Sure you got the same file twice on the card, but if it works, sure.

@ Rayek:

I didn't mean it gave you the full version of the game, I mean GP2X Quake will not run without Pak1.pak in the directory, and it has to be a valid .pak file. Fortunately, it does not (apparently) have to be the proper .pak file, so now I have Pak0.pak and Pak1.pak both exactly the same file but it let's me run GP2X Quake.

it doesn't work. Now quake just crashes at the start :angry: :angry: :angry:

I don't understand why......

You do have the same file in there twice, don't you? Named Pak0.pak once and Pak1.pak for the second one? It is an actual duplicate, isn't it? I know my Quake crashed at the start when I tried to run it w/ a random textfile I renamed to Pak1.pak, so it does have to be a real .pak file.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprised no one posted this sooner. This has been common knowledge since the Q1 source code was released what, 4 years ago?

Back