Rpg Mechanisms

frolik

Bass Invader
Website
Visit site
Started playing Phantasy Star 4 on DrMD and it's really good but whats with the strange combat mechanism.... You don't see any baddies walking around like you do NPC's, instead you just get jumped on all the time, you can be walking around a small room and will be relentlessly attacked to longer you stay!

Thought this was weird, apart from that it's a really nice game with the cutscenes and storyline.

Are the other PS games the same/as good? I really like the Bioware games but can't really find much like it that is emulatable. Oh and Ultima 6 and onward too.

thats kinda the same 'mechanism that pokemon uses, and golden axe (umm not that I play pokemon :ph34r: :lol: ) so does revolations the demon slayer for GBC (very fun RPG by the way)

Most rpg's are like that, try playing final fantasy or most other fairly well known rpg's from back in the day.

yep... what is commonly termed 'random battles', and most console RPG's do employ this play mechanic, which can get very annoying at times. This was one of the big things that finally made me get tired of the Final Fantasy series... getting attacked randomly every three steps.

Some console RPG's didn't use this tactic, and have become my favorites for it. The Grandia series and the Lunar series are among them.

What are the Grandia and Lunar series's, on gp32?

I never played any of the FF games, except Chrono Trigger which I think had free roaming baddies iirc

frolik posted on Mar 14 2005 at 03:20 AM said:
What are the Grandia and Lunar series's, on gp32?

I never played any of the FF games, except Chrono Trigger which I think had free roaming baddies iirc

If Lunar Legend works on GPAdvance, you can play a slightly dumbed-down rendition of the MegaCD/PSX title that way, plus there's Grandia: Parallel Trippers, GBC spinoff of the PSX/Saturn game.

You would owe it to yourself to get Grandia II (Dreamcast version), though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grandia II was terribly generic in comparison to the original Grandia. I didn't like it very much at all.

Thats why I love Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2) on the SNES *we need a new snes emu* because it has 'real time' combat. This means button mashing for attack, and after a few attacks you can do a large attack (can't remeber the exact way this worked). EDIT: ANd it doesn't cut to a 'battlefield' scene for this either, you just fight the enemies on the map as you play.... AND it had none of this 'exit the city and you grow into a giant' crap like Phantasy. You have to walk for ages to get from city to city (or you can get transport like being fired from a canon or teleport) and that was great.

That is one fine game. I remember reading edge (computer mag) when I still owned my c64 (the mag would have been less than issue 15 at that stage) and it had the screen shots of Secret of Mana 2 on SNES (Squaresoft) and it looked absolutely amazing. Still does IMO

Seiken Densetsu 3 - best SNES game that never came out outside of Japan (or maybe it came out in the UK? Dunno but there was never a US version). THANKFULLY someone saw fit to take the time to translate and patch this one... one of Square's best.

I was never fortunate enough to play Grandia 1... had an import for my Saturn but gave up trying to play Japanese RPG's long ago, ended up selling it. Then bought a copy for PSX which ended up getting crushed, literally, to bits before I ever got the chance to play it. I have heard many times that 1 was better than 2... but only having played 2, I have to say that is easily one of the best console RPG's I've ever played, and I was one of the only few who liked it better than Skies of Arcadia (the Dreamcasts OTHER big RPG). Skies was great, no doubt, with the ship combat and such, but that was right around the time random battles had really started to piss me off, so Grandia beat it out, for me. Also, the combat system in Grandia 2 is very enjoyable as well.

WhiteFalcon posted on Mar 14 2005 at 09:09 AM said:
Actually Lunar 2 on Sega CD employes the same way of random attacks, no idea about Lunar 1 though.

gp advance doesnt work that good...

go gameboy coulour if you want rpg

theres hundreds of them ;-)

I like harvest moon!

Also if you can OC to 166 - breath of fire...

on Snes may work

:D

spaceboygp32x posted on Mar 14 2005 at 09:16 AM said:
WhiteFalcon posted on Mar 14 2005 at 09:09 AM said:
Actually Lunar 2 on Sega CD employes the same way of random attacks, no idea about Lunar 1 though.

gp advance doesnt work that good...

go gameboy coulour if you want rpg

theres hundreds of them ;-)

I like harvest moon!

Also if you can OC to 166 - breath of fire...

on Snes may work

:D

Sure, SNES is full of good RPGs, yet my BLU+ doesn not really feel like running it without the well known bar-bug...

Final fantasy 7 got it right, cos the random battles had astonishing effects, that made you never get tired of them (despite 100+hours of play!). Phant4 is still great cos the battles never last that long, and have tactical interest! Playing it now, and loving it!

A good thread, these snes rpgs I've never played, but would love to if only my BLU+ would let me too! If someone would develop a new snes emu, I for one would donate heavily!!!! (well, as heavy as I could).

If you don't like random battles, go back to the Zelda games on the gameboy colour. I love the oracle games!

I would love to see on this forum pinned threads for each system, ie. a Genesis/mega drive thread, where if you have played a great game on DRMD, you can go there and post about it-what sort of game etc. So people who never played on a Genesis could go there and explore new games. Encourage people to try a new machine, and be a valuble source of info on what is worth playing!

Just a thought :D

lubidog posted on Mar 14 2005 at 02:16 PM said:
I would love to see on this forum pinned threads for each system, ie. a Genesis/mega drive thread, where if you have played a great game on DRMD, you can go there and post about it-what sort of game etc. So people who never played on a Genesis could go there and explore new games. Encourage people to try a new machine, and be a valuble source of info on what is worth playing!

yea, that would be a great idea :)

lubidog posted on Mar 14 2005 at 01:16 PM said:
Final fantasy 7 got it right, cos the random battles had astonishing effects, that made you never get tired of them (despite 100+hours of play!). Phant4 is still great cos the battles never last that long, and have tactical interest! Playing it now, and loving it!

A good thread, these snes rpgs I've never played, but would love to if only my BLU+ would let me too! If someone would develop a new snes emu, I for one would donate heavily!!!! (well, as heavy as I could).

If you don't like random battles, go back to the Zelda games on the gameboy colour. I love the oracle games!

hey that was my idea and u turned it down lol

matt goode said:
This may sound a bit weird, but if there was a genesis roms / Phantasy star topic would anyone else post on it other than me? 
QUOTE (lubidog @ Mar 12 2005, 01:12 PM
No, I am gonna start playing phant4 soon

matt goode posted on Mar 14 2005 at 04:58 PM said:

matt goode said:
Hahaa! I've lived abroad too long, and have forgotten how to speak english! I meant YES!!!! I am loving phant4, and wanted to agree that a thread would be good!!! How thick am I :unsure:

But actual threads to help people discover new systems, that's what i would like. I reckon we all get excited when we discover a game that's new to us (sm3 for me is new - don't laugh! But I wanna tell everyone how great it is!!!!). When someone here says play this rpg, or this sport sim, I bet lots of us rush to get it ('buy it :D ). Well, I would love to go to a thread just to find a game, my next game etc. And if its on a system I don't know (atari st) so much the better!

I won't mention it again. And sorry I stole your idea :lol: :p :eek: :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

lubidog posted on Mar 14 2005 at 06:04 PM said:
matt goode posted on Mar 14 2005 at 04:58 PM said:

matt goode said:
Hahaa! I've lived abroad too long, and have forgotten how to speak english! I meant YES!!!! I am loving phant4, and wanted to agree that a thread would be good!!! How thick am I :unsure:

But actual threads to help people discover new systems, that's what i would like. I reckon we all get excited when we discover a game that's new to us (sm3 for me is new - don't laugh! But I wanna tell everyone how great it is!!!!). When someone here says play this rpg, or this sport sim, I bet lots of us rush to get it ('buy it :D ). Well, I would love to go to a thread just to find a game, my next game etc. And if its on a system I don't know (atari st) so much the better!

I won't mention it again. And sorry I stole your idea :lol: :p :eek: :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

thats alright, i was only joking
:D it can be a joint idea
lol

aapje89 posted on Mar 14 2005 at 04:05 PM said:
lubidog posted on Mar 14 2005 at 02:16 PM said:

yea, that would be a great idea :)

So great we've done it already!

Back