rotating keys - hp style

Binky

Death's Steed
Staff member
^ are they patented or suchlike

would they be good on a P2?

As found on hp scientific calculators (awesome things, especially when they do RPN)

the button cap is hard, and hinged at the front, with the actual electrical button mechanism on the side farthest away from the user, the keys themselves having sloped fronts

they give very nice mechanical feedback and are nigh on impossible to jam/mispress

One of the few devices where pressing buttons is more satisfying than popping bubble-wrap :)

I'm trying to think of individual keys which can be rotated.. and that makes no sense to me.

Can you find a link or video or something which demonstrates this? Perhaps a device name or model number?

HP calculators HP 30b, HP 39g+, HP 39gs, HP 40gs, HP 48gII, HP 49g+, HP 50g, HP10bII, HP 12c, HP 12c Platinum, HP 12c, HP 17bII+, HP 33s and HP 35s adopted the HP's accurate rotate-and-click keyboard technology.
http://www.educalc.net/1610484.page

hpcalcbuttons.png

Its rotating as distinct from the button cap traveling straight down, as is the norm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh those! I quite like those. I doubt they're patented or even patentable - not to mention HP has been doing that since... the 70s? So even if they were patented it would have expired by now. I think it could make the construction considerably more difficult, but I suppose that depends on how it's done.

I love those old HP calc keys - great feel to them.

I'd like to see the Pandora 2 use them - in the shoulder buttons (all 4).

Heck, using high quality buttons like those, you could put 3 shoulder buttons per side without making it overly confusing.

I love those old HP calc keys - great feel to them.

I'd like to see the Pandora 2 use them - in the shoulder buttons (all 4).

Heck, using high quality buttons like those, you could put 3 shoulder buttons per side without making it overly confusing.

Old? I've got a brand new calc with them on -very nice it is too :)

Not quite the same feel as an hp48 though...

I have two HP calculators. They're well over 20 years old and still work fine.

My main was/is an HP-28S.

Because back in college the professors wouldn't let me use the 'highly programmable' 28S on tests, I got a 32S that I could walk up and do a full memory wipe on in front of them. I couldn't stand the idea of doing any form of engineering exam using a 'normal' calculator.

There is an HP calculator emulator in the repository - just in case anyone was feeling nostalgic. I use it on my Pandora - works well.

Back