Rot Season 1 Round 5 - Vote!

Game 1: Racer or Puzzle?

• Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Super Off-Road | Fixed Screen | Arcade

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Lotus Esprit Challenge | N/A | Amiga

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Intrepid | Maze Chase | Arcade

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Puzzle Bobble | Puzzle | Arcade (MVS NeoGeo)

• Solstice | Isometric | NES

• Tetris | Block Puzzle | Game Boy

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
While we're waiting for the round 4 score thread to get put up, we may as well be practising the round 4 games (Golden Axe arcade and Smash TV arcade) and voting on round 5, the (as far as I know) penultimate round this season.

So I've fiddled with the numbers in the poll again, so hopefully now there will be more of a race for the lead then a clear winner. I'm still experimenting really.

There are some very famous games in that list, though I'd ask you all to look up any games you're not familiar with to make the vote more fair. I've certainly discovered some games I'd like to play that I've never heard of before looking through the nominations thread. You can Monkeychops Nomination list as a shortcut to details about each of the games.

Since we're playing a fighter and a shooter this current round I've barred those genres from this vote, giving us a bit more variety this vote, although randomly, the random game picker has picked some pretty famous platformers...and Wardner. Plus, if you fancy throwing a curveball, you can go pinballing or root beer tapping away. There's also the vote between the remaining two racers and the puzzle games.

The deadline for this vote is March 27th i.e. the end of next week, giving us a few days to sort out scoring before round 5 starts on 1st April.

Last edited by a moderator:
gotta go tetris and tapper this round. I'm a tetris fanatic and tapper is so old school, fun, and perfect for this format that its a no brainer, even with the other great choices.

Tetris! I need a good excuse to de-rust my skills at that.
grin.gif

My other choice is Mega Man, but it was very, very tough choosing between that and Root Beer Tapper.

Probably not - TGM1 runs on Playstation variant hardware. TGM2 runs on more powerful hardware, and TGM3 runs on PC-type Taito Type X hardware. The first might be emulatable on Pandora, but it would need a fairly specific emulator to be written for it.

Prometheus said:
My other choice is Mega Man....

Well I for one am shocked, shocked that you would make such a rash decision!

As tetris is winning in a landslide here, I thought I'd talk a bit about how we will score this game should it be picked.

If john4p is willing, I suggest that we play the Tetris DX version as it allows more points than the original version. It's stated on the wiki that maxing out the points in the original is not very hard, even in the DX version it has been done with relative ease.

It might be better to go to even another version that allows time attacks. Thoughts?

[edit]
upon further investigation, Tetris DX does have some time attack modes, I suggest we pick one for the competition.

Tetris DX (1998) is a Game Boy Color game that is backwardly compatible with the original Game Boy. It features battery-saved high scores and three player profiles. DX also has a new single-player mode, which is against the CPU. DX also features two new modes of play. In "Ultra Mode," players must accumulate as many points as possible within a three-minute time period. In "40 Lines," players are timed on how quickly they can clear 40 lines of play. In addition, new music themes were added as well.

I'm thinking ultra mode is perfect for this league but 40 lines could be fun too. I'll try to play them later and see which seems better for this format.

Tetris DX is fine.

I doubt anyone of us will be able to max out the score in its "marathon mode" though. Maybe there should be a poll for the game mode.

Your probably right about marathon mode but this league was made with the idea of quick play and skill as opposed to simply having the time to try to max out marathon modes of games. I'm down with a poll, but we should probably wait till the game is actually picked first :p. If everyone does want marathon mode, I suggest we start at level 9 so you don't have to play through a hour of easy levels before getting to the part where you can actually increase your score each time.

The 3 minute time attack seems perfect to me, only 3 minutes to commit each time you want to give it a go. Of course I have limited time so I'm bias.
The vs com mode does not seem to be a viable option, I think with a few goes that would be to easy to beat.

Here's some clips of each mode:

vs com clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCZ3oUXxJlg

ultra mode clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghi40tH8-YQ

40 lines clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbaeB6ARjQQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZDDLCHipac

MonkeyChops said:
Here's some clips of each mode:
vs com clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCZ3oUXxJlg

ultra mode clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghi40tH8-YQ

40 lines clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbaeB6ARjQQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZDDLCHipac
Ugh, after getting used to 20g mode, those videos are a pain to look at. So slooooowwww.

MonkeyChops said:
Your probably right about marathon mode but this league was made with the idea of quick play and skill as opposed to simply having the time to try to max out marathon modes of games.
Good point. Then Ultra mode really seems the best choice.

Caine said:
Ugh, after getting used to 20g mode, those videos are a pain to look at. So slooooowwww.

Yea, I'd also prefer the newer style tetris. Unfortunately, TGM is slow even on my pandora at 1039 mhz. I just tried it out. It's fine, though, I'm not sure games from 2005 qualify as retro anyways :p

[edit]
:blink: wow, still gets crazy fast even running at 75% speed. I'm definitely _not_ a grand master :p

MonkeyChops said:
Yea, I'd also prefer the newer style tetris. Unfortunately, TGM is slow even on my pandora at 1039 mhz. I just tried it out. It's fine, though, I'm not sure games from 2005 qualify as retro anyways :p

[edit]
:blink: wow, still gets crazy fast even running at 75% speed. I'm definitely _not_ a grand master :p
Besides TGM, Tetris DS also has a 20g mode. Haven't found any others supporting that mode yet (for those that don't know, in 20g mode a block drops 20 lines per frame). It completely changes the game experience.

By the way, how did you get TGM to run on the Pandora at all? Which rom/emulator combination?

it was a pain in the butt. I got it to run on mame 106 after finding some missing bios. pm me you need further help.

MonkeyChops said:
it was a pain in the butt. I got it to run on mame 106 after finding some missing bios. pm me you need further help.
Ah, silly me. I forgot the bios file and thought the emulator was to blame.

Just gave it a spin at 800 Mhz. Quite unplayable unfortunately :(

so are we going with tapper or sonic? I'm gonna get a quick score in then send my pandy off for repair. :D

Whoops, missed my own deadline! Sorry Monkeychops, been really busy lately. If only I had some sort of portable gaming device so I could play these games on the move, eh.

So, Tetris on the Gameboy is the clear winner for the first game choice, although I think it's a good idea if we use Tetris DX instead, either on original Gameboy or GB Color - your choice. Game mode: Ultra (i.e. 3 minute time attack).

For the second game there's a tie between Sonic and Root Beer Tapper. I'm going to make an executive decision and go for Root Beer Tapper. You can moan at me if you don't like it. It should be a simple enough game that a simple (fair) high score is enough to score it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back