Rot Season 1 Game 2 -- Nominate Games To Play!

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
For this first couple game-periods, its a goofy schedule until we get the hang of it. We also only have (say) 2 weeks to nail it down, unless we extend the first game-period to 3 weeks or something. Whatever, we'll play it by ear!

So I've pre-selected the first two games for Season 1 Game 1, just to kick things off.

But for game 2, its OPEN!

Also, if anyone wants to take over as league-admin, feel free to nominate yourself; I figure I can run it for the first game or two until we get the hang of it, then hand it over; or if its too much work (who knows?), we can hand it over right away; my head is mostly in the code for the firmware after all :)

Please, post your game nominations so we can hold a vote in a few days to nail down which games :)

1) Platform (SNES, C64, Arcade, TG16, Genesis/Megadrive, etc, as noted in the Rules/FAQ post.)
2) Game name (list variations, since sometimes it has a different name in Japan or the UK or the US.)
3) Scoring suggestion - fair high score, vicious high score, achievements (list suggested achivements and points), or whatever.
4) Genre -- is it a shmup, run and jump, platform shooter, racing, ...

Note that we aim to have 2 games for each game period, so that peopel have an option in case they hate one, or prefer a genre.

Note that we try to line up two similarly scored games, so that its not really strange to nail final scores down.

Great work so far and nice selection of games. Super Aleste is good fun and Willow looks nice.

Let me start with 2 Amiga games which run well on GP2X&Wiz, too:

1) Amiga
2) Turrican II
3) most lives at the end of the game, tie-breaker: score (also for the case that some people don't finish the game => then both have "0 lives at the end", so their score decides who did better)
Playing solely for score wouldn't be too much fun as there are a lot of "milking spots". Collecting lives and staying alive is more fun in my humble opinion.

1) Amiga
2) Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge
3) Play Easy, Medium and Hard Leagues and add the scores of each

2 console games:

1) SNES
2) Mega Man VII
3) vicious highscore

1) Genesis/MegaDrive
2) Contra - Hard Corps
3) vicious highscore

Some Minter games, Voidrunner and Hellgate for C64 (or Vic) are good. Well, Hellgate is hellishly difficult, but Voidrunner is really enjoyable. Centipede is an oldie but goldie as well.

John4p's suggestion of Lotus is good, I enjoyed that game back in the day quite a bit.

First of all, I want to say this is awesome and thanks to skeezix for setting this up.

next, a few question.
What exactly is the time limit for the scoring on the first 2 games? Or is it just purely highest score wins? In which case, it seems unfair to those who don't have a lot of extra time for this. (but if it is, so be it :) )
Can we post our scores multiple times or edit our posted scores if we play again and do better? I ask because I can see myself playing the game but not posting my score, thinking I can do better, and then not getting around to playing again in time to post my new improved score.
Do we, or can we, play both games and post both scores (and update them) as we go? Then the top score of the 2 games is used.

Finally a few suggestions:

1. NES
Castle Quest
Highest level achieved

2. DOS (and NES I think)
Captain Comic
Highest score or level achieved

3 MAME (and like all the rest too)
Golden Axe
Highest score or level achieved

Oh and one more clarification that is probably obvious but wasn't mentioned: savesstates are not allowed, right? I could probably get a perfect score on any game by saving and redo every 5 seconds of game play :)

skeezix said:
And yes, Prometheus, go ahead .. nominate any 5 of the Megaman games, go ahead :)

jeff
Hahaha, alright. :lol: I can't nominate five, though, because there are actually only three games in the entire series that have a scoring system at all*, though, and one of them is a CPS2 game, and I don't know if that may be a bit too heavy for some systems in the league.

*(@john4p - There's no way you'd be able to do a high score challenge with Mega Man 7, unfortunately. :( )

My suggestions;

1: NES
Mega Man (a.k.a., Rockman)
High score - fair/sedate; Highest score achieved in Cut Man's stage (This should level the playing field. :p )
Platformer

2: MAME4All
Mega Man: The Power Battle (a.k.a., Rockman: The Power Battle)
High score - fair/sedate; Highest score achieved on one credit. OR: Best time if you manage a one-credit-clear (best times are only monitored and recorded on a one-credit-clear). (I'll leave this choice up to you, skeezix.)
Boss-rush

3: MAME 0.106, or whatever is available that can run CPS2 games
Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters (a.k.a., Rockman 2: The Power Fighters)
High score - fair/sedate; Highest score achieved on one credit
Boss-rush

4: MAME4All
Root Beer Tapper (tapper - the other versions such as Budweiser Tapper and Suntory Tapper may have minor gameplay differences, stick to Root Beer Tapper only)
Root-beer-serving

5: MAME4All
Mappy (mappy or mappyj)
Item-collecting

Did I get all that right? :p I've never done anything like this before.

Thanks for setting this up, skeezix - I predict it'll be great fun. :D

EDIT: Forgot the genres! Sorry! Added them now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goods points; I clarified a couple bits in the FAQ post, notably about save-states.

i) Clarified .. for S1 G1, just using fair high score (even distribution, not pyramid)

ii) I'll note in the FAQ somewhere; if you submit two scores (and you can edit all day long, no one one will do tally until the first day of the next round) for the two games, only one can count. Do we make it so the submitter picks which score is his counting one, or take the best one? I don't think we can take the best one, swince it just makes it too hard to calculate .. if any one guy can jump back and forth depending, its too weird. So submit both scores, but note wich one is your league submission.

iii)

Settings / Savestates / etc:
- For score submission, you should be playing the game on Normal (not Easy, not Hard); this might be tricky if you want to play Easy for practice and it gives you a giant high score.. do a reset/reload before going back to Normal :)
- It goes without saying, don't be turning on cheat-modes or 'hax' :)
- Save-states is a tough one; obviously you're playing in your spare time, so if you need ot hit a savestate to catch the bus, go ahead. But don't use save-states to cheat -- if you snapshot every 30s, it sure makes life easier, so don't do that. Use savestates for life, not for cheat.

ie: I think we can't be jerks about it, but just discourage abuse.

Its hard to resist just listing off all your favourite games .. and to pick those which would be easy to score, without being a huge time sink for everyone, easy to set up, etc. ie: Getting Warcraft 2 onto DosBox just runs like hell for everyone, and is a tonne of setup, for instance. Decisions decisions ..

I've been leaning to keeping to SNES / Genesis and maybe TG16 (no proper native Temper for Pandora yet, but can use Ginge, or Hugo, and TG16 runs great for every other handheld out there) for now, since easy to set up the games and so on.

But I'm weak when it comes to Genesis / SNES, skipped those guys for my beloved Atari ST ;)

Anyway, my nominatoin is ..

Parodius ("Parodius Da" on SNES I think, but the preferred platform is TG16). Goofy, fun, classic, great shooter.

TG16
Parodius
high score scoring ... not sure if we're leaning more to laidback or vicious style.

Horizontla shmup

parodiusda2.png

I keep thinking it'd be cool to ave an excuse to do Eye of the Beholder (DOSBox, Amiga and SNES all have it, thoughy not sure how directly similar they are), and do it achievements .. how many areas you've cleared, but that heavily leans towards those with free time (ie: not me).

But what about good old TG16 Bomberman (which is also on SNES I think), or is eveyrone sick of that.

So my second bomination would have to be ..

Genesis/Megadrive (also known as Pyros, and is great in arcade and Genesis formats.)
Wardner
High score scoring
Platformer/shooter

Wardner_GEN_ScreenShot4.gif

Star Soldier, Final Soldier, and Soldier Blade all for the TurboGrafx-16. Time attack modes!

Prometheus said:
My suggestions;

1: NES
Mega Man (a.k.a., Rockman)
High score - fair/sedate; Highest score achieved in Cut Man's stage (This should level the playing field. :p )

I was just having a thought about this, do we want to put restrictions on what you can use in the stage? I don't know if all the mega man's do this, but I know some of them give you extra powers after you beat a boss of a stage, such as their weapon. Would we want to say that you can only use the default mega man power, or can use anything that you have picked up by beating all the rest of the bosses? Just a question, I think both ways have their highlights.

LGR

LGR said:
I was just having a thought about this, do we want to put restrictions on what you can use in the stage? I don't know if all the mega man's do this, but I know some of them give you extra powers after you beat a boss of a stage, such as their weapon. Would we want to say that you can only use the default mega man power, or can use anything that you have picked up by beating all the rest of the bosses? Just a question, I think both ways have their highlights.

LGR
^ All of them do that, it's one of the series' main hooks. :p That said, my thinking was just starting a new game and going straight to that stage, with no powers whatsoever.

*Major Edit*
1) TG16
2) Super Star Soldier
3) Score in 2 min game
4) Shmup

1) TG16
2) R-Type
3) Score in Stage 1
4) Shmup

1) Genesis/Mega Drive
2) Gynoug (Wyngs Of War)
3) Score in stage 1 (no powerups)
4) Shmup

1) Genesis/Mega Drive
2) Sonic The Hedgehog
3) Time in Labyrinth Zone: Act 2 (no tool assist runs)
4) Action

1) Platform (SNES, C64, Arcade, TG16, Genesis/Megadrive, etc, as noted in the Rules/FAQ post.)
2) Game name (list variations, since sometimes it has a different name in Japan or the UK or the US.)
3) Scoring suggestion - fair high score, vicious high score, achievements (list suggested achivements and points), or whatever.
4) Genre -- is it a shmup, run and jump, platform shooter, racing, ...

1) Genesis/Mega Drive
2) Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
3) Score upon completing round 3
4) Action

1) Genesis/Mega Drive
2) Streets of Rage 2 (Bare Knuckle 2)
3) Score upon completing stage 3
4) Action

1) Genesis/Mega Drive
2) Golden Axe
3) Score upon completion
4) Action

1) NES
2) Solstice
3) Number of rooms visited
4) Puzzle

1) NES
2) Pinball Quest
3) Score on Pop!Pop!
4) Pinball

1) Super Famicom
2) うしおととら (Ushio to Tora)
3) Score upon game over on normal mode with 5 lives
4) Hack n' Slash

in willow, (this is the first time I've played it) the game resets your score after a certian amount (3?) of continues. Is that the score we should post or keep going?

MonkeyChops said:
in willow, (this is the first time I've played it) the game resets your score after a certian amount (3?) of continues. Is that the score we should post or keep going?
I though you had to post the score you got before losing ONE continue... hm... dunno. I thought that most games reset your score after the first continue.

your right, I'm retarded. it does reset after one continue, I was looking at gold which doesn't reset after continue. I got confused because after a few continues, it took me to the high score board and had me enter my initials. My bad. Guess it just took me a few continues to actually make the leader board.

Still, the plan is best score without a continue then? I imagine bigger enemies count for bigger points, hence after a few continues you'd have higher scores even starting with 0 each time.

Prometheus said:
*(@john4p - There's no way you'd be able to do a high score challenge with Mega Man 7, unfortunately. :( )
Too bad. Only played Mega Man I-VI (on GP32) so I wanted to have an incentive to continue with the series...

skeezix said:
Save-states is a tough one; obviously you're playing in your spare time, so if you need ot hit a savestate to catch the bus, go ahead. But don't use save-states to cheat -- if you snapshot every 30s, it sure makes life easier, so don't do that. Use savestates for life, not for cheat.
The problem with creating a savestate when you have to catch a bus (or similar) is: you say to yourself you will just continue later on. But when you do and you screw up instantly it's very tempting to reload the savestate "just once again". But as soon as you load a savestate twice it is cheating...

MonkeyChops said:
Still, the plan is best score without a continue then? I imagine bigger enemies count for bigger points, hence after a few continues you'd have higher scores even starting with 0 each time.
It should be your score after losing your first batch of lives, from the beginning of the game shirley?

Edit: Ooh, nominations. I'll vote for:
System: SNES/Super Famicom
Game: Super Pang
Scoring: Tour mode, single player score using no continues, vicious scoring
Genre: Platforming shmup.

Back