Official Game Nomination Thread

MonkeyChops

NO! I don't play basketball
Please use this thread to nominate games to be played during the entire season. I will compile the nominations into a master list on post #2. Levi will use the master list to come up with a hand picked poll which will help nail down the actual 2 games we will play each round. I will strike-out the games we play from the list as we go. Feel free to nominate a game at any time.

Please only nominate games you actually want to play, not just all the games you like.
This is not a "best of" Thread.

Rules for nominating a game:
  1. You are participating in ROT (Retro. Offline. Tournament.)
  2. You have actually played the game.
  3. The game has an intelligible way of scoring.
  4. The game is from a platform that is widely available to most GP32x users.
  5. The game is playable in short spurts which rewards skill and not simply the amount of time one has played it.
  6. For now, there is no limit to the number of nominations but please don't go to crazy or I may have to limit it in some way.
Rules subject to change without notice :p
Please note that this is meant to be fun. There won't be a nomination Nazi. We are going with the honor system here. If your not sure about something don't worry about it, just post it.

How to post:
  1. Genre of the game. (list the most basic genre first if it fits multiple genres)
  2. Name of the game. (plus other names if different from varying platforms or regions)
  3. Platform. (plus other platforms it's availible on unless the game is consideribly diffent on other platforms)
  4. Suggested way of scoring. (high score, achievements, ect.)
  5. Link to info on the Game. (wiki, mobygames, gamefaqs, ign, or similar)
  6. A screen shot of the game.
  7. Youtube clip if possible.
Example:
  1. Platformer, Run and Gun
  2. Willow
  3. Arcade
  4. Top score without using a continue
  5. Wiki
  6. Willow_%28arcade_game%29.png
  7. .
Again, I'm not gonna throw out nominees that don't have all this info. No problem if you can't find the info, it just makes my and Levi's life easier. We want to have the wiki link, screen shot, and youtube available for the final vote of what game to play so the players can research before they vote.

Last edited by a moderator:
Master Nominations List
Updated 04/17/11
Genre
  • Game name | sub-genre | Platform(s) | Scoring Suggestions | info links | Nominator (linked to actual post)

Fighting:
  • Final Fight CD | Beat 'em Up | Sega CD | Fair High Score | wiki pic clip | john4p
  • Garou - Mark of the Wolves | vs Fighter | NeoGeo | Fair High Score | wiki pic clip | john4p
  • Golden Axe | Beat 'em Up | Arcade | High Score | wiki pic clip | MonkeyChops Round 4 Pick
  • Golden Axe | Beat 'em Up | MD/Gen | Score upon Completion | info pic clip | Com64
  • Megaman: The Power Battle | Boss Rush | Arcade | High Score/Best Time | wiki pic clip | Prometheus
  • Megaman 2: The Power Fighers | Boss Rush | Arcade | High Score | wiki pic clip | Prometheus
  • The Simpsons Arcade Game | Beat 'em Up | Arcade | High Score | wiki pic clip | David Bowman
  • Streets of Rage 2 | Beat 'em Up | MD/Gen | Score after round 3 | wiki pic clip | Com64
  • TMNT: Turtles in Time | Beat 'em Up | Arcade ; SNES | High Score| wiki pic clip | David Bowman
  • Ushio to Tora | Hack 'n Slash | SNES | High Score at Game's end | info pic clip | Com64
Pinball:
  • Pinball Quest | Role-Playing | NES | Score On Pop!Pop! | wiki pic clip | Com64
Platformer:
  • Bubble Bobble | Fixed Screen | Arcade,C64,AtariST | High Score | wiki pic clip | skeezix
  • Captain Comic | Side-Scrolling | Dos | High Score | Wiki pic clip | MonkeyChops
  • Castlequest | Puzzel | NES | High Score | wiki pic clip | MonkeyChops
  • Contra: Hard Corps | Run & Gun | MD/Gen | Vicious High Score | wiki pic clip | john4p Round 2 Pick
  • Crazy Kong Part II | Fixed Screen | Arcade | High Score | wiki pic clip | Prometheus
  • Mappy | Item Collection | Arcade | High Score | wiki pic clip | Prometheus
  • Megaman | Shooting | NES | High Score in Cut Man's Stage| wiki pic clip | Prometheus
  • Metal Slug 1 | Run & Gun | Arcade (MVS NeoGeo) | High Score | wiki pic clip | Skeezix
  • New Zealand Story | Run Jump Scrolling | Arcade | High Score | MAWS pic clip | Mal Duffin Round 3 Pick
  • Pacland | Run Jump Scrolling | Arcade | High Score | MAWS pic clip | Mal Duffin
  • Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master | Scrolling | MD/Gen | Score after round 3 | wiki pic clip | Com64
  • Sonic the Hedgehog | Scrolling | MD/Gen | Time in Labyrinth Zone: Act 2 | wiki pic clip | Cameleon
  • Super Buster Bros (pang) | Shooter | Snes | High Score Tour Mode | wiki pic clip | levi
  • Toki | Shooting | Arcade | High Score 1 Credit | wiki pic clip | Tickles
  • Turrican II: The Final Fight | Run & Gun | Amiga | Life total at Game's end | wiki pic clip | john4p
  • Wardner | Shooter | MD/Gen | High Score | wiki pic clip | Skeezix
Puzzle:
Racer: Shooter:
Simulation:

Change log:
02/04/11 - finished converting Levi's list, fixed my terrible spelling. added Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Super Off-Road
02/11/11 - decided to strike out picked games and add link to corresponding post in lieu of deleting, stuck-out Parodius and Contra, updated rules. Added Intrepid, fixed sub-genres of megaman power battle games
02/12/11 - added mario kart, toki, smash tv, & pacland ; corrected megaman 2.
02/14/11 - added new zealand story, fixed/updated some links
02/21/11 - added metal slug 1, puzzle bobble, bubble bobble, & Final Fight CD
03/02/11 - struck out mario kart & new zealand for round 3; added thunderforce 4, tetris, blazing star, & garou; fixed pacland formatting
03/15/11 - struck out golden axe arcade & smash tv; added tmnt turtles in time, simpsons arcade, Yars Revenge, & The Empire Strikes Back
03/21/11 - added crazy kong 2
04/01/11 - struck out tetris and tapper
04/17/11 - stuck out ironman and thunderforce 4

Excellent work - thanks Monkeychops!

Couple of notes on the list as I wrote it - you don't need the numbers. I just added those so people could name the number of the game they were voting for to avoid confusion in the vote thread. Also, if you're planning to sort it alphabetically, I put Turrican II in the wrong place - but I guess you've got more work to do before the ordering is finished.

Its more of a place holder than anything else right now, all I did was cut and paste your list. I plan to completely redesign the layout of it. I plan to make it sorted alphabetically by genre first followed by name. Plus I plan to include the wiki links and screen shots somehow, probably with a spoiler tag to keep the list manageable. So, should I do that now or retake my lead on Willow? decisions, decisions :p

btw, is there any specific info you'd like to see in this list other than genre, name, platform, scoring suggestion, wiki link, and screen shot?

No, I think that's more than enough. I can only put the genre, name and platform in the voting fields, but will put the screenshots and a link to something to read in the first post body when I do the vote I think. I can't think of anything else that would be useful there.

Ok, I finished updating the list.

When should I delete the games for round 2? I was thinking I'd leave them up until voting for round 3 was about to start so that everyone could use the links I found if they wanted help deciding which to play.

Levi, when will you pick the games for the round 3 vote?

You can delete Parodius and Contra now if you like - they're decided now, and we just need to decide how to play them.

That's fantastic work updating the list, thanks a lot! That will make my work setting up the vote a lot easier, and hopefully make it easier for everyone to vote.

Couple of spelling mistakes - search for 'sore', and I think Hellgate can be classed as a fixed-screen shooter personally. I've also never understood the simulation genre (outside of flight sims and racing sims) so it may be worth merging it and pinball as 'other' - with four single game genres at the moment, I will likely not be picking them often unless I need to make up numbers.

I intend to open the round 3 vote next Wednesday, when we start playing round 2, and run it for a week.

And a nomination so we can get more racers on there:
1. Racer (fixed screen)
2. Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Super Off-Road
3. Arcade
4. Number of races survived with no continues, or high score at end of season if acheived
5/6. wiki klov pic pic clip

fixed and updated.

nice catch: "streets of rage - sore on level 3" lol :lol: I could say that about my thumbs with Willow right now.

I want the genres to be as accurate as possible. Pick em how you want, maybe have more than just 1 genre in 1 vote category or maybe have an "other" genre in your vote that includes all the obscure genres, idk. But its possible that we get more nominations for obscure genres in the future and I don't want to kill a few genres and dump the games in a catch-all category, just to have to sort them out again in the future.

about deleting the current games,
are you going to make a topic with the 2 chosen games listed? if so, you could use the info from this list in that post to help people decide which game to play. So, I'm thinking that when you post that thread would be a good time for me to delete the games from the list.

If I'm remember the FAQ correctly creating the scoring thread is scorekeep's job. At the moment we just need to decide how to score these two games. I will go and update the vote post to include the information you've helpfully compiled here though.

I'm going to combine genres if I end up randomly selecting one with too few games in to vote on. So I suppose with there being more genres, there's more chance of that happening, so perhaps they'll get selected more often. I'm not sure to be honest.

What about PSX Wipeout 2097 Timetrial (First track for instance?) can I nominate that?

I always thoroughly enjoyed racing against my own fastest ghost pushing times to the limit :)

I think we're outlawing PS1 for the time being, since it's difficult for many of us to emulate. Good idea though - maybe we could do time trial championships against other games. I've enjoyed swapping some time trial times with friends on MarioKart DS. Maybe there's some retro racers with good time trial modes (or we could just do SNES MK!)

PS1 is a tough one. So many great games but not many devices on gp32x can handle it. However most people have home computers they could play on. If it was just one of the 2 games once in awhile it would probably be ok. After all it would have to make it through the voting process first. perhaps we could make a poll and see who all wants ps1 as a partial option for some rounds? of course my opinion is bias since I have a pandora.

Ok, I decided to just strike-out picked games rather than delete them. This way the info stays and late comers don't accidentally renominate a game. It has the potential to get very large this way but I might just start a completely new list for season 2, we'll see.

^ That sounds like the best bet, to me, as does making a new list each season. :p

I have a new game to nominate, by the way;

1: Genre: Chase
2: Name: Intrepid
3: Platform: Arcade (Supported by MAME4All and MAME 0.106)
4: Scoring: High score
5: Info link: Intrepid info from MAWS
6: Screenshot (Borrowed from MAWS)
7: YouTube video

I also have a small correction: Mega Man: The Power Battle and Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters are not really versus fighters - if anything, I'd put them down as "Boss-rush", as that's what they are. ;)

Also, MAWS is a great information resource for arcade game info - I encourage everyone to check it out.

added, thanks for the nomination, it looks fun.
I put it under puzzel with a sub-genre of chase as that's how most sites listed it and I want to keep the main genres as general as possible.

I changed the sub-genre of the powerbattle games to boss rush, would you still consider them a fighting game? They seem to fit that better than platformer imo.

levi said:
I think we're outlawing PS1 for the time being, since it's difficult for many of us to emulate. Good idea though - maybe we could do time trial championships against other games. I've enjoyed swapping some time trial times with friends on MarioKart DS. Maybe there's some retro racers with good time trial modes (or we could just do SNES MK!)
I just came in here to nominate SNES MK as it happens :D So, to make it official:

Racing
Super Mario Kart
SNES
Fastest time in time trial (track to be decided)
Wiki

[media]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=HVi8AiwKn3k[/media]

And a couple of others:

Platformer, shooting
Toki
Arcade
Top score without using a continue
Wiki

[media]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3E44m89u6t4[/media]

Shoot 'em up
Smash TV
Arcade
Top score without using a continue
Wiki

[media]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=kx_rhHgv-i8[/media]

MonkeyChops said:
added, thanks for the nomination, it looks fun.
I put it under puzzel with a sub-genre of chase as that's how most sites listed it and I want to keep the main genres as general as possible.
That sounds about right to me. I notice, though, that MAWS puts Intrepid in the category of "Maze". I don't know if you think that's a better fit, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

I changed the sub-genre of the powerbattle games to boss rush, would you still consider them a fighting game? They seem to fit that better than platformer imo.
I would still list them as fighting, yes, but they're definitely not versus fighters. By the by, the second one is Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters - I noticed that they're both listed with the subtitle "The Power Battle", currently. :p

1: Genre: Platform / Run Jump Scrolling
2: Name: Pacland
3: Platform: Arcade (Supported by MAME4All and MAME 0.106)
4: Scoring: High score
5: Info link: Pacland info from MAWS
6: Screenshot:
pacland.png

7: YouTube video:

Back