Room For Improvement?

r10crw

Still Fresh
Playststion emulation I really didnt expect and never owned an N64 so didnt care too much for it so the fact the Pandora can do this was a bonus. As shown in the compatability lists the games that run full speed are very minimal.
Since its early days will optimasation make any difference to the speeds at which games run or will it merely increase the number of games that actually work? Just wondering if Gran Turismo one will ever be fast enough to be payablem, I got it running yesterday and it brought back so many good memories, perhaps its best these are left as memories?
Cheers Craig.

You can increase speed of programs by optimising code but it is certainly the law of diminishing returns - loads of work for smaller and smaller gains. I think we will see some more speed increases in both emulators yet though :) Then we can worry about compatibility and get more games working!

Much kudos to all the coders working on both emulators - looking forward to playing Banjo & Kazooie when I (eventually) get my Pandora :)

Does PS1 even have 3D acceleration again? It should be easily capable of fullspeed most everything on PS1 once that plugin is (re)written.

pcsx will eventually be ported or if not, you can already use it with Ginge.

pcsx has a much higher compability and is way faster AFAIK.

Wolfsclaw said:

But is pcsx faster on the Pandora using Ginge than it is on the Wiz?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wolfsclaw said:

Interesting, can the pcsx plugins/filters be used if it is running via Ginge & if so is there a noticeable speed casualty?.

ndbsolar said:

I'd be surprised if it weren't much faster on Pandora, because Pandora is really much faster than Wiz. So long as pcsx4all is not doing something weird that'd be catching GINGE a lot the overhead should be low.

Exophase said:
ndbsolar said:

I'd be surprised if it weren't much faster on Pandora, because Pandora is really much faster than Wiz. So long as pcsx4all is not doing something weird that'd be catching GINGE a lot the overhead should be low.

It is, and it runs faster with most games than the current PSX4ALL on the Pandora.
Tried MuppetRaceMania and it runs fullspeed without FS with 750MHz.
However, sound seems to be broken with PCSX4ALL and Ginge at the moment.

Can't wait to see a native PCSX4ALL-Port on the Pandora :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Exophase said:
ndbsolar said:

Can't wait to see a native PCSX4ALL-Port on the Pandora :)
Yeah, that will be AWESOME. I can't wait! ;)

Chris

BY FAR the most compatible PSX emulator I have found is pSX! it's played every title I have ever attempted (disk or image) which I know one of the hardest games to get working is Chrono Cross (works just fine, played through 1st disk and started second)... thing is, it doesn't seem to be very popular anymore... the only link I can find is http://www.brothersoft.com/d.php?soft_id=195671&url=http%3A%2F%2Fusfiles.brothersoft.com%2Fhome_education%2Fhobbies%2Fpsxlinux113.zip which comes with everything you should need to run it... not sure what is needed to port it to ARM (if that is even necessary)... was gonna wait till I got my Pandora so I could download it and test it, but I decided to mention it here (since it fits the topic so well :p)... if ANYONE gets it running, it would be nice to know.

pSX is closed source and the Linux executable won't work on Pandora, period. On the off chance that the author would be willing to port it or release the source (both unlikely) it'd be a substantial amount of new work since it'd involve a port of an ARM recompiler. Some kind of retrofit between the recompiler in pcsx4all and pSX might work but I'm not sure you'd gain much at that point (plus you'd be missing other ARM specific optimizations in the emulator).

so, is it realistic to assume that at some point the Pandora will actually be able to play most PSX games properly and at full speed?(hopefully without having to overclock the Pandora into oblivion & preferably through an emulator made for Pandora like PSX4Pandora..) should I lower my expectations? :unsure:

ImmaculateChimp said:
so, is it realistic to assume that at some point the Pandora will actually be able to play most PSX games properly and at full speed?(hopefully without having to overclock the Pandora into oblivion & preferably through an emulator made for Pandora like PSX4Pandora..) should I lower my expectations? :unsure:
I hope not

no you should raise them, the panda is capable of much more, but its no walk in the park to get it done

Back