One Stop Page For Information

r10crw

Still Fresh
Recieved my Pandy last week and got to say its brilliant. I thought that id probably be disappointed after recieveing it with all the hype but no, its just brilliant. Its the first time Ive actually played old Amiga games, usually getting them to work was great fun but because of the user interface the actual gameplay was crap. Not so with the Pandora it is excellent, Ive found myself immersed in stunt car racer for two hours last night! Even the PSX4Pandora is great, Id expected this to be unplayable and sure with some games (sadly Gran Turismo) it is but crash bandicoot is perfect. N64 Im not having much luck with the sound being constantly broken up but since I wanted the machine for Amiga and occasional browsing these really were just a bonus and sure to improve.
Lots of people waiting patiently will be beginning to wonder if its worth the wait and I can say for sure that it def is. Also should point out that Im a linux noob with the ability to navigate at a terminal but no understanding of which files do what. So hopefully will put a lot of people at ease since I can imagine there a lot of Windows users who have never even seen linux.

This brings in my question, my biggest problem has been finding information as to how to get the emulators/Ports to work since they are spread out across the boards and usually find important info on page 25 of a thread! Is there a place where we can collect instructions etc? Ideally a common place like the app store so when you download the PND you also getting a "getting started instruction set". If not we will have folks looking everywhere for help and have lots of the same questions getting asked over an over again. For instance I downloaded the media codec from the app store but have no idea of how to install a media player for video files?
Maybe this already exists and I havnt found it, it could even be on a sticky Ive missed but sure someone will be able to inform me.
Cheers Craig.

It's not the answer to everything, but the Tweaks Thread has been my saviour this week:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53857-tweaks-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
http://pandorawiki.org/Main_Page
For emulators,
http://pandorawiki.org/Emulator_list
which may not have much specific info in each one at the moment, but generally links to the forum thread, and can easily have a specific page for the emulator set up.

CraigW said:
For instance I downloaded the media codec from the app store but have no idea of how to install a media player for video files?
The Community Codec Pack installs the media players to go with the codecs, too.

I just had a look, and noticed that whilst the page about it on the official website does provide a (long) list of what it installs, the description for it on the app-store only mentions that the codecs get installed. (Perhaps it would be a good idea to edit this? It only really needs to mention that it installs the players to go with the codecs, really.)

Thanks and like I said Ive probably missed a sticky somewhere, away to hang head in shame.
Craig.

Prometheus said:
CraigW said:
For instance I downloaded the media codec from the app store but have no idea of how to install a media player for video files?
The Community Codec Pack installs the media players to go with the codecs, too.

I just had a look, and noticed that whilst the page about it on the official website does provide a (long) list of what it installs, the description for it on the app-store only mentions that the codecs get installed. (Perhaps it would be a good idea to edit this? It only really needs to mention that it installs the players to go with the codecs, really.)

HAHAH! I've been looking for mediaplayers before I even tried any media files as I thought the codecs just enabled "playback" I didn't appreciate that they also include the player! Doh!!!

CraigW said:
Thanks and like I said Ive probably missed a sticky somewhere, away to hang head in shame.
Craig.
No need for shame. :) After all the time I've spent on these boards, I still found myself doing a heap of forum searching and head scratching when my Pandora arrived. There's a lot to take in.

Also note that 'well behaved' apps will put a link in the Documentation menu of the PAndora (in xfce, and minimenu will show you a note that you can hit Y to bring it up); for complex apps, they shoudl have a little doc page to tell you how to set them up, though unfortunately many apps donm't bother with this; still, many apps _do_ do this, so always check the Documentation menu or minimenu's Y option first :)

jeff

Back