RISCOS on Pyra?

Will it be possible?
 why not, it can be compiled for it since it was compiled for Pandora as well. 

More importantly, why would you want it ?
No. This isn't more important.It may be interesting, but not more important or even important at all.

I hate it if people question questions instead of just answering them.

Yes. It will be possible, but someone (Raik?) have to do it. :)

I want it because I like it. I wouldn't use it as a main OS, of course. I'd use it as an alternate boot from an SD card.

Raik and his Team is experimenting with RiscOS and

an Omap5 Board yet ;)

It should be possible on Pyra ;)

(Information is from a PM from him)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upps, not really...

There is not a team. Willi Theiss (the developper of the OMAP4 RISC OS port) is working on the OMAP5 RISC OS port. Any other RISC OS User like me, e.g.Chris Gransden and Kuemmel are testing the developer ROMs and given feedback.

The actually ROM is working on a IGEP V5 (lite and full) and a OMAP 5 EVM. RISC OS is working very fast and many things are working stable but any other crashing with data aborts.

The Pyra developer are using a OMAP 5 EVM so we are hoping it is possible to use the OMAP 5 ROM also with the Pyra. If the Pyra is aviable the HAL and other needed things will be changed.

The new sunday ROM is working more stable and complete via SDFS like Panda, RPi etc.

Step by step forward...

Original: http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/17143-an-interesting-setup-involving-a-pandora/#entry359669/URL]

Comparable to the RISC OS developing?

Omap5_debug1.jpg

Omap5_debug2.jpg

The OMAP5 port is stable since a long time. Works on IGEPv5, OMAP5 EVM and Titanium.
Looks like we need a Pyra ... ;-)

Nice video. A decent introduction (though I don't know why he explained the difference between CISC and RISC in an inttroduction to an OS, and these days you can run RISC OS through NOOBS apparently), and even though I'd used RISC OS as my primary desktop for just over 10 years and knew almost all of that stuff, I still found it watchable.

A power user tip though: if you want to navigate into directories but don't want to clutter up the screen with parent folder views you then have to close, you can enter directories using the right button double-click instead of the normal left button double-click, and that closes the old window as it opens the new one.

The laptop in this pic is a Motorola Lapdock. I use it normally for my SchlepPi later for my SchlepPi zero .
The board on the left is a OMAP5 board connected to the Lapdock.
When the picture was taken I had to start RISC OS via the serial console of the Pandora.
Then the Pandora reports the boot process and other things via serial debug console.
Now the OMAP 5 boards are working complete with RISC OS.
[doublepost=1546889962,1546882924][/doublepost]
There's also a linux version available if you prefer.

The Linux version you can not use with RISC OS.
With the RISC OS version you can start Linux via !GoLinux app...
Normally Linux incl. rootfs comes from µSD. I use a modified version, so rootfs is placed on SATA SSD. Makes Linux much faster.

The Linux version you can not use with RISC OS.
Can you not? I wasn't aware of any hardware differences between the two versions, but yeah I guess it would be up to me to get arm linux onto a hard disc. I guess the linux version might also have a bootloader in the flash which risc os obviously doesn't need.

Can you not? I wasn't aware of any hardware differences between the two versions, but yeah I guess it would be up to me to get arm linux onto a hard disc. I guess the linux version might also have a bootloader in the flash which risc os obviously doesn't need.

Is what the Elesar support tells me. The hardware is the same. The RISC OS bootstuff or the Linux bootloader are placed in flash.!GoLinux loads the Linux bootfiles in RAM and close RISC OS without losing to boot Linux. Looks comparable to the old Risc PC way to boot ArmLinux V2.
As I understand, at this time, there is no way for a bootmenu or to load RISC OS from Linux. So the only way to use RISC OS and Linux on Titanium is the RISC OS version.
Move rootfs from card to SSD was a bit fiddely.

Do you know if you actually need a hard disc or sd card in it to load RISC OS? I'd kind of assume the entirety of RISC OS is in the flash chip so that it behaves equivalently to the old masked roms that it fitted on old acorn stuff. Point the PC at address 0 and hit go, and the whole thing comes up from there, no fancy bootloaders required.

Back