Retrode2

Cas

Hi

Will anybody be ordering one of these:

Use your cartridges and controllers with your Pandora.

http://www.retrode.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
Duplicate thread, so please feel free to continue discussion here.

Please pm me if you have any queries about the lock. Cheers.

EDIT: Opened by request.

I pre-ordered mine a few days ago :D

just need to go go buy some classic games off ebay now >_>

Im assuming I'll be able to copy the rom to an SD card for use later.

I really really really want a retrode, but I'm still having difficulty justifying it.

On the other hand, I didn't have much difficulty justifying buying a second Pandora off of ebay... >_>

Ok , Im going to say something a bit negative here, don't shoot me for it.

Why on earth would you buy this ?. Just play the roms you own in an emulator, no $85 expense, no need to carry around and attach an accessory(ie the Retrode 2) to your Pandora or computer. I see absolutely no benefit in buying this.

Two reasons: nostalgia, being able to physically plug in a cartridge that you actually own and have the game save to it (which you can then play on a real Super Nintendo as well); also backup, actually being able to get a nice, completely legal copy of that cartridge that you own. Some people get a warm, fuzzy feeling to being 100% above board.

I would cast a gray area on whether its legal. There is a whole section devoted to devices that enable copying / access to roms on a cart.

If you believe Nintendo's Legal statement on these

Are Game Copying Devices Illegal?

Yes. Game copiers enable users to illegally copy video game software onto floppy disks, writeable compact disks or the hard drive of a personal computer. They enable the user to make, play and distribute illegal copies of video game software which violates Nintendo's copyrights and trademarks. These devices also allow for the uploading and downloading of ROMs to and from the Internet. Based upon the functions of these devices, they are illegal.

Two reasons: nostalgia, being able to physically plug in a cartridge that you actually own and have the game save to it (which you can then play on a real Super Nintendo as well); also backup, actually being able to get a nice, completely legal copy of that cartridge that you own. Some people get a warm, fuzzy feeling to being 100% above board.
There's a third reason, too: Not all games have been dumped!

I own, for example, the PAL version of Bubble & Squeak for the Mega Drive. To my knowledge, this has not been dumped at all. As of when I last checked, back when I bought the cartridge (as I'm sure many of you know, I only emulate what I actually have), the only results I could find were dumping groups discussing how it had not been dumped. Now I can do so. :p

Should I ever be exceptionally lucky and encounter a situation where I end up possessing a game that was unreleased or is otherwise of some unique value (hey, it could happen... :p ), which I would absolutely not dare to trust anyone else with by sending it elsewhere, again, I can now deal with that situation, too.

I don't have the time to go through and re-dump everything I own, but for situations like that, or the occasions where I'm away with my Pandora but no internet access and come across a cache of games in a store, my Retrode 2 will be invaluable. :p That, and supporting projects like this, was worth it, to me.

Ok, from all the responses I only see one real benefit. ie you can access the game saves from your existing carts . I'll give in to that one, it is a real benefit to those who would like this.

As for the other reasons ie legalaity. Well legal wise its not anymore legal than downloading a rom for the games you own. Rom access devices are just as illegal (more illegal if you asked Nintendo)

As for Roms not being available, hmm, in the very rare cases were that was true. It wont be true for long.

I could also see it being put to use in the guts of a "console", too. But that's more a hobbyist project type of thing. :p

Very Subtle hint Prometheus - :p

Are Game Copying Devices Illegal?

Yes. Game copiers enable users to illegally copy video game software onto floppy disks, writeable compact disks or the hard drive of a personal computer. They enable the user to make, play and distribute illegal copies of video game software which violates Nintendo's copyrights and trademarks. These devices also allow for the uploading and downloading of ROMs to and from the Internet. Based upon the functions of these devices, they are illegal.
not to be a prick, but Nintendo doesnt make copyright laws. not in USA, not in China, not in Hong Kong, not in the UK. and that statement on their site which you quoted, is quite frankly untrue, even in high protected copyright countries like USA

Ok, from all the responses I only see one real benefit. ie you can access the game saves from your existing carts . I'll give in to that one, it is a real benefit to those who would like this.

As for the other reasons ie legalaity. Well legal wise its not anymore legal than downloading a rom for the games you own. Rom access devices are just as illegal (more illegal if you asked Nintendo)

As for Roms not being available, hmm, in the very rare cases were that was true. It wont be true for long.
This has been addressed at http://www.retrode.o...ion/faq/#stupid . See also: http://www.retrode.o...-brainstorming/ .

Actually from memory the US copyright laws do mention copying devices. It also mentions that making backup copies of games is still illegal if the owner does has stated they do not want it to occur.

(Based on US copyright law...)

Nope, ROM access devices are entirely more legal than downloading a rom off the internet. Downloading a ROM is always illegal, whether you own it or not. Using a copy device is only illegal if it bypasses any intended copy protection mechanism, ie, encryption.

Actually from memory the US copyright laws do mention copying devices. It also mentions that making backup copies of games is still illegal if the owner does has stated they do not want it to occur.
Nope, format shifting is written into the US copyright law as fair use. It was originally intended for allowing people to copy 8 track to cassette and then from cassette to CD, and CD to MP3, but it still applies to copying games to emulator format: it is effectively the exact same as copying a CD to MP3s. If the copying process requires breaking encryption or bypassing some sort of security measure, then it violates the DMCA (which is a whole different kettle of fish) and is illegal but the SNES didn't have any such encryption so the Retrode is fine regardless of what Nintendo wants to tell you.

Back