[shameless_plug] Win tons of Retrodes and other stuff!

Matthias_H

Hi y'all!

The Retrode (the world's funnest USB adapter for vintage video games) just turned three years old, and the party is still on! We're having a big giveaway with lots of prizes - in fact, as of right now, still more prizes than participants :) So see you over at the party site! (click image below)

Cheers,

Matthias and the retrode.org Editing Team

Do you work for them?
Er, he created it... ;) If you ever heard of the "Snega2USB", that was the Retrode's original name.

(Did I remember that right? :lol: )

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't think the creator had time to visit these paths.
The creator came up with the concept on these boards with user input :p

Or was it the gp32x forum? Either way, long ago in a galaxy far far away.

^ If memory serves, it was on GP32X! And a fine device it is. :D

@Matthias - If I may be a bit cheeky and ask here, is there any ETA on the cartridge adapters yet? I would absolutely love to buy the Game Boy one, for retrieving saves from a Game Boy Camera so as to convert the images taken with it into a standard graphics format (I fully don't expect the Retrode to support the camera itself, though that would certainly be a decidedly awesome bonus), but I couldn't seem to find much on the website the last time I checked.

@Matthias - If I may be a bit cheeky and ask here, is there any ETA on the cartridge adapters yet? I would absolutely love to buy the Game Boy one, for retrieving saves from a Game Boy Camera so as to convert the images taken with it into a standard graphics format (I fully don't expect the Retrode to support the camera itself, though that would certainly be a decidedly awesome bonus), but I couldn't seem to find much on the website the last time I checked.

No ETA yet, sorry. Turns out that working full-time while looking for a new job and expecting a baby all make the plug-in business appear rather.... irrelevant :) However, sitting on 1000 GB slots gives me quite a bit of incentive to wrap this up some day.

As for the GB camera, I haven't had much success with it myself, but then I never really tried all that hard. Are you aware of any documentation, schematic, etc... somewhere out there?

No ETA yet, sorry. Turns out that working full-time while looking for a new job and expecting a baby all make the plug-in business appear rather.... irrelevant :)
That's understandable! :) Congratulations on expecting a baby, by the way!

As for the GB camera, I haven't had much success with it myself, but then I never really tried all that hard. Are you aware of any documentation, schematic, etc... somewhere out there?
I'm afraid I'm unaware of anything much out there. I just had a look around, and the only things that I'm currently aware of are the following (all of which appear to be fairly old);

http://drx.a-blast.o...wto/gbcamguide/ - A guide on how to retrieve save data from the camera, for use with software that can convert the images into standard formats (this seems like the simplest appproach, and is was what I was thinking I could use my Retrode for, since it seems to do fine with reading save files from games).

http://www.iherr.com/herky/gbcam.html - This one, about interfacing the Game Boy Camera with robotics gear.

http://sophiateam.un...troller/camera/ - And this, about a serial interface for connecting the Game Boy Camera to a microcontroller.

Oh wow! Never thought it would be so easy. I just gave it another try - I don't think I'd tried the camera since the last GB-save-related firmware update. All I did was load the SRM file from the camera cartridge via Retrode/GBx plug-in into GBCamera Dump (found on this site), and export to a BMP image. And voilà, here's a self-portrait of my GB camera's previous owner :)

Alright, I think I'm convinced: plug-ins should really be put on top priority ;)

lastowner.gif

^ Wow, that's pretty awesome!

I'm laughing away at the random picture of the last owner, too. I do love randomness. :lol:

Back