Retro Gaming Radio Love Gp2x

S

sausage dog

The boys at RGR love the GP2X. Check out the latest stream (it's half way through, after the interview)

www.retrogamingradio.com

Should convince a few more people to buy one...

Of course they love it. What's not to love?

Being able to carry all my old SNES and Megadrive games in my pocket makes me a very happy fellow.

And how about a link for the lazy people who want to get the stream directly?
Hmm I see several shows had a bit about GP2X... I think this one is the lastest.

There is a usual gp2x corner in their latest shows. Shane Monroe (Creator, and member at this place) appears to be a fan of the gp2x, but I asume it's only normal being one of the gp2x' main function is emulation. :)

Retrogamingradio and the other radioshow of his, Dualscreenradio rule. xP

Shane Monroe seems a bit mixed up about a few things. He says the joystick's deadzones and diagnol bias are software issues and fixed in the new firmware (v1.4). This is most definitely not true, they are mechanical faults caused by the design and orientation of the switch itself... I imagine he's just a bit confused or it's a perceptual thing and the applications he's using have had software alterations to better work with the joystick like DaveC's suggested "Case 2" control scheme. He was dead on about a lot of other things like the CramFS firmware allowing enormously faster boot times and emulator progress, though.

FluffyPanda posted on Mar 28 2006 at 01:19 PM said:
He also posts here from time to time.

Hello Shane? Are you reading this? :)

Boy, am I tardy to the party or WHAT?

I tell ya what ... it could be ALL perception, but since the 1.4/2.0 firmware, my joystick experiences have improved 10 fold.

It could just well be that I'm learning to compensate personally for the 'defect' - I dunno ... But if nothing else, the menus are 10x easier to navigate since they underclocked them.

Last edited by a moderator:
It must just be a perception thing, at least in applications. I'm still planning to get a D-Pad for mine, the stick is tolerable but for some things it just won't do.

I actually just mailed you through the site man. You should check ebay for the required extension cable for the GP2X. It really did suck royally when I received mine and realized I wouldn't be able to use it right away....unless of course I hung out a foot away from the back of my TV :)

I scored a 12ft male/female s-vid on ebay for $6. Well worth the money.

Here's what I purchased...the guy has 7 more:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=9734947291

It must just be a perception thing, at least in applications. I'm still planning to get a D-Pad for mine, the stick is tolerable but for some things it just won't do.

Is this something that is available now or are you planning a little DIY project?
Out of the loop a little lately...

A replacement joystick could restore my interest in it.

~telengard

Where exactly is it in the interview? After the interview the guy just starts talking about Tetris, the original Game Boy, and some story about his falling in love with the Lynx.

Is this something that is available now or are you planning a little DIY project?
Out of the loop a little lately...

A replacement joystick could restore my interest in it.

~telengard

Have you tried a new cap? It isn't perfect but is still much better than stock until something else materializes.

Wait, so what IS the problem with the stock stick? With my MKII the problem is that the stick is too stiff and requires a lot of effort to move it around. I'm guessing a new joystick cap won't fix this, right?

And I personally cannot see why they don't like it. Considering if the Amiga emulator ever get's optimized enough and we get USB mouse and keyboard support, you could run a portable Amiga...and we know how much of an Amiga fanboy Shane is (no offense Shane, I love your show). But anyway, this thing is a retro gamer's dream. I mean despite the fact that SNES isn't emulated well ,it's a non-issue to me. I originally got it to play SNES games. While waiting for SNES emu improvements, I tried other emus and got to liking other systems. It's sort of turned me into a big retro fan (and this from a 15 year old who grew up playing SNES, Genesis, and PC). Ok, i'm starting to rant, so i'll just shutup.

Wait, so what IS the problem with the stock stick? With my MKII the problem is that the stick is too stiff and requires a lot of effort to move it around. I'm guessing a new joystick cap won't fix this, right?

Well, for me moving in the main 4 directions Up, Down, Left, Right (esp Right) tend to not work unless I get it just right (no pun intended). It's quite frustrating. I imagine the culprit is the larger diagonal switches. Why on earth there are all those switches I'm not sure. Having just 4 switches and checking for 2 pressed at once for diagonals probably would have been fine. Maybe I'll try out a new cap but I doubt it help with what I've just described. Also should upgrade my firmware @ some point. :)

~telengard

Well, for me moving in the main 4 directions Up, Down, Left, Right (esp Right) tend to not work unless I get it just right (no pun intended). It's quite frustrating. I imagine the culprit is the larger diagonal switches. Why on earth there are all those switches I'm not sure. Having just 4 switches and checking for 2 pressed at once for diagonals probably would have been fine. Maybe I'll try out a new cap but I doubt it help with what I've just described. Also should upgrade my firmware @ some point. :)

~telengard

The cap does help a bit. FW 2.0 is pretty good too, much better than the old ones.

Back