Gaming Radio Stations

Morpheus384

Website
Visit site
Hi all,

Ive been into Old time Radio Shows since before MP3 and made the jump to collecting large collections of BBC Scifi and the like on MP3 when the tech made collecting the shows dirt cheap. Recently, Ive been relistening to classics like the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy, Day of the Triffids, Earth Search 1/2, Secret of Dominion etc. etc. , and have found my 2X just the bomb for this use. Back in '98 I was collecting these shows and compiling emulators when I came across Retrogaming Radio.

Retrogaming Radio

I know most of you have heard of Shane R Monroe's most excellent show which now includes a GP2X segment each month. But if you havent, you should check it out. The show is now in its 8th year. As a loyal fan, I always save space on my card for the latest episode which runs 2-5 hrs and is extreemly entertaining and a constant joy while commuting.

While I was eagerly awaiting news of the firmware/hardware bugs to get worked out on the GP2X I got into the GBA/NDS Homebrew/emulation scene and was gratified to find that Shane had teamed up with Chris Henschel to produce "Dual Screen Radio" dedicated to the Nintendo DS. This has grown into first rate show and website in its own right.

Dual Screen Radio

It was Shane's recommendation that tipped the scales for me in deciding to buy a GP2X and I can only say "Thanx Shane! Having a great time, wish you were here..." :lol:

Recently, Ive been discovering a number of other great gaming related shows; and I thought Id share them with the community since Im sure there are others who love this sort of content on the go.

Twitch Asylum- a bimonthly podcast which talks about modern gaming with a solid retrogaming segment-chock full of history/trivia/humor about all things gaming.

Back In Time- sporadically produced now but with a great section of archived shows dedicated to retro gaming and consoles.

Digital Revolution-Regularely updated shows all gaming related.

Video Game Radio-Addictive Modern Gaming commentary.

All shows are downloadable in mp3 and most have archived shows with great content.

If anyone knows of any others post them here and share the wealth.

Enjoy! :)

Sweet :D
I've been enjoying my 2x for the last couple of months, but havn't been putting it to much use for things like this yet. It's so easy just to get caught up in the emulation/homebrew scene & forget about all the other possible uses for the unit.
Cheers for the list

Cool!

I'm quite the fan of radiodrama's (and of Shane's radioshows, especially DS radio), they're easy to listen to, on the road or at night. I've recently listened to H2G2 (awesome), Lotr and Star Wars.

Do you have any other suggestions of good radiodramas?

Draken posted on Sep 21 2006 at 10:25 AM said:
Cool!

I'm quite the fan of radiodrama's (and of Shane's radioshows, especially DS radio), they're easy to listen to, on the road or at night. I've recently listened to H2G2 (awesome), Lotr and Star Wars.

Do you have any other suggestions of good radiodramas?

I'm a big fan of the classic radio dramas from the golden age of radio. Theres so many, but it really depends on what you like. Heres some of my personal favs.

SCIFI

X-1
Flash Gordon
Buck Rodgers
Dimension X
Journey into Space
2000+
Beyond Tomorrow
Nightfall
Orbit 1 Zero

BBC Scifi:

Day of The Triffids (series),Earth Searth (Series), Earth Search II (series),Secret of Dominion (series),Babylon Run (series),Host Planet Earth (series). Kraken Wakes (series),Closed Planet(series),Aliens in the Mind (series)-Im sure someone in the UK will know of others-these are really top notch.

Detective dramas:

Box 13
Rocky Fortune
Sam Spade
Adventures of Philip Marlow
Richard Diamond
Philo Vance
The Fat Man
The Maltese Falcon (series)
Sherlock Holmes

Crime Drama:

Dragnet
gangbusters
This is Your FBI
Calling all Cars

Scary/Spooky

Haunting Hour
The Black Museum
The Wierd Circle
Inner Sanctum
Lights Out
Quiet Please
The Strange Dr Wierd
The Hermits Cave
The Whistler
Escape
Suspense
The Clock

Mystery/Adventure:

I love a Mystery
I Love Adventure
Adventures By Morse
The 3rd man, or Harry Lime Adventures
The Shadow
The Saint

Comedy:

Abbott and Costello
Bing Crosby
Damon Runyon Theatre
Duffys Tavern
Red Skelton
Burns and Allen
Fibber Mcgee and Molly
Amos and Andy
Jack Benny

Any search for OTR MP3 will turn up free downloads of some of these.

Ebay is unbelievably cheap, I got 1576 episodes of the Superman serials from the 1930's-40's for 7.00 shipped. 400 episodes of Gunsmoke from the 50's for 4.95, thats less than a penny for a 1/2 hr show.

Its a far cry from the beginning before MP3, when you had to find someone on a board that had what you wanted, and you had something he didnt. Then copy 12 or so cassettes and send them with 12 blank cassetts which he would tape then return-the postage alone was staggering-File transfers and downloads rock!

Heres a link to a page full of links to mp3 and RA sites for getting the old shows:

OTR Now ;)

Hope this is helpful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, thanks a lot. It's great how these shows are still preserved after all this time. :)

I've looked for the BBC radiodramas and also found Orson Welles's The Mercury Theater.
I was actually unaware of his participation in radio (except for 'War of the Worlds'). His radiodramas are awesome, including versions of my favorite literature. :p (Count of Monte Christo, Les Miserables, ...)

Draken posted on Sep 23 2006 at 09:38 AM said:
Yup, thanks a lot. It's great how these shows are still preserved after all this time. :)

I've looked for the BBC radiodramas and also found Orson Welles's The Mercury Theater.
I was actually unaware of his participation in radio (except for 'War of the Worlds'). His radiodramas are awesome, including versions of my favorite literature. :p (Count of Monte Christo, Les Miserables, ...)

Harry Lime Adventures(US) and The Third Man (UK)-same show- starred Orson Wells as well. He was also the original Radio actor for "The Shadow".

Thats amazingly funny! I was going to include a link to the Mercury Theatre On the Air's website and target the WOTW show for you, but didnt when I couldnt find it in my links. Its amazing you should mention it. One of the coolest things about the quality of the radio dramas were that for all the audio quality, most sound effects were produced on stage during taping in real time (e.g slamming a door onstage or using coconut shells to simulate horse gallops etc etc-like in Monty Python's "The Holy Grail"....lol :lol: When you slisten to the shows with that in mind you just wonder how the hell the did that and got it to sound so good.

I find that the 2X works great for multi show series because most mp3s have date or episode number tags. So when you drop them into a named file like"Mercury Theatre" and que the first one it automatically goes to the next show in sequence like a play list.

Great to meet another fan!

Cheers! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back