Retro Gamer Magazine.. Dead?

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
Hey, anyone else a RG reader?

I had a great first year, received all issues and such.

3 months ago (June 25th) I made two orders.. a new subscription, and a shirt. Received the first magazine (it went to the wrong house, but they kindly found me and gave it over and I phoned RG to fix the address.) Never received the shirt.

I opened a ticket with them and they replied quickly, saying to wait longer; fine..

Waited another 6 weeks (to today, so now 3 months plus a few days); still no shirt, and no subsequent issues.

Some info suggests they've gone bi-monthly instead of monthly or 6-weekly like it was before..

So it would seem 3 months have passed and something is up.

Their forum used tobe busy.. its now closed.

_eep_.. these are the signs that make you wonder.

Anyone talked to them lately? Anyone received anything from them? Anyone have any more info?

I'd hate to have renewed just before they tank :/ Great magazine too :(

jeff

That is sad about RG. I really liked that magazine. I have wondered why I have not seen it on the newsstand lately. I am glad to here about the web site concerning the retrosurvival. Sounds great.

It is a shame, i did have every issue, some issues werent the best and some were way too techy but its hard to please the gamers and the techheads really.

The new magazine which is coming out sounds good though, as for Live/Total Publishing i wont buy anything from them ever again

Yes it probably happens all the time in business but Live Publishing who went bust were taken over by 'Total Publishing' who 'surprise surprise' are in the same building and have the same address. Just sounds like a bit of a scam or something, very strange.

RG was very good though on the whole and like you i was very surprised when i heard about it

Same story here, ordered a binder MONTHS ago and heard the news yesterday. I heard someone might buy the magazine, maybe Future or someone like that can see the market for a retro mag and might honour the subscriptions...?

A fair amount of money wasted otherwise, really thought I was helping by subscribing but all I ever got were mashed copies of the mag in the post and now the loss of my money for all the issues I will never receive! Alarm bells went of when they were conspicuously absent from CGEUK earlier this year, while Games™ made it looking all smug.

®

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :( :( :( :( :( :(. I always liked reading this magazine and was gonna get a subscription.

C16 posted on Sep 28 2005 at 02:01 PM said:
You might want to have a sneaky peek at Retro:Bytes as its a new magazine that will be hitting the shelves around November time. So far looks very promising :D

sweet. lets hope this mag lasts longer than retrogamer did.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have waited longer before I sold all my issues on ebay, since you can't back order anymore they're probally worth more.

I'm a little leary now .. $170CDN down the drain for RG for the next year :/ (That was when it was monthly; I checked a week or two later and they'd changed it to bi-weekly, which seemed a huge ripoff. Then they tanked.) Don't think I want to order any other mags for awhile :)

jeff

Man...this is bad news indeed.

I live in Portugal, and getting a RetroGamer was always a pain in the butt, and sometimes I had to travel 10Km just to get one... that's how cool I tought that magazine was.

I've also bought the last issue directly from their website, and it never arrived... but I'm not sad for the money... I'm sad for the magazine's demise... :(

Rest in peace RetroGamer... I'll be watching any new similar magazine...

Thanks for the information tough, because I was wondering if my magazine got lost during transportation... now I know... :angry:

Damn lame. My cousin told me about the mag, which he apparently saw on newsstands during the summer (Wisconsin, USA). It sounded great but now I'll never get a chance to enjoy it, nor will anyone else apparently.

Sucks worse to just lose your money on shit like that though. Man, it used to just be undeground comics, now ya can't even trust the longevity of cool new magazines.

skeezix posted on Sep 28 2005 at 04:06 PM said:
I'm a little leary now .. $170CDN down the drain for RG for the next year :/ (That was when it was monthly; I checked a week or two later and they'd changed it to bi-weekly, which seemed a huge ripoff. Then they tanked.) Don't think I want to order any other mags for awhile :)

jeff

If a magazine folds the publisher should offer you a subscription to another title in their stable. That's the least they can do. Email and/or phone these guys and tell them what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, the publishing house has gone!

I too was a subscriber. I thought it was a really fantastic mag. I read every issue cover to cover.

They sent me Three copies of the last issue. Dunno why, maybe they wanted to make up for the folding...

Back